All new 2011 Toyota Sienna...

sirrahn

I like the storage for the 8th seat, I think. But it makes it look smaller :( But the only pic is of it in the storage, no pics of it set up.

You can kind of see the 8 passenger set up in the pic of the conversation mirror. The center seat is smaller (although I don't think it looks quite as tiny as they Odyssey's), and it looks like the outboard seats are the regular captain's chairs with armrests. Personally, I prefer the current 8 passenger setup, but I can see that for a lot of people, the bigger outboard seats may be preferred.

ADS

romanoma

why can't automakers realize that "soccer moms" care about fuel economy and make a hybrid minivan? I mean plus it's good for the environment, but every mom wants to save money on gas, right? I know they have them in Europe, so why not here? Ugh, guess I'll see what honda can do for me and keep waiting for now...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So does it still have a TA on the 8th seat then?

Toyota has been working on a hybrid version of the Sienna for years, but hybridizing takes space that they don't want to compromise in a family vehicle like the Sienna. So they're still trying to find a way to do it without compromizing the space that makes a minivan what it is and drastically reducing its appeal to many customers. That's what I've been told for years now, anyway. ;)

SavsMom

Toyota had initially had plans to release a Hybrid Sienna for the 2009 model year - but like KQ said - its tough to engineer a van that is still a van and integrate the Hybrid system into it -
I am pretty happy to see that they are offering the 2011 with a 4 cylinder. Toyota has a great reputation for building a solid 4 cyl engine that delivers adequate power, great fuel efficiency and amazing reliability to boot.

I would buy a Toyota Sienna but the poor rear safety rating makes me not buy it.

The new one looks like they addressed that rear crash thing. Plus, it's only applicable to tall adults anyways.

You have to read the methodology and reasons behind a given rating. When you don't take a rating at face value and look beyond just what they say, it helps you figure out if it's applicable to you or not. That's one reason why Consumer Reports is considered worthless around here.

B

BryceKastor

I hope this works (first time posting)
2011_toyota_sienna_crg_fd_2_98.jpg

I've had just finished the grueling search for a vehicle that could seat 3 across one row. It took a while after my wife and I found out that we were having twins that we started this search as we were both in a bit of denial (no dear, the car will still work, at least for the first year!) The Toyota Sienna was it! GREAT... go to the dealer and ... sorry, none available, they are doing a redesign (this was in early december).

Oh well I thought, this shouldn't be a problem, they must know their rep as being one of the best mini-vans to pull off the 3 across the 2nd row so they aren't gonna mess with that will they???

Well the above photo shows the 8th seat installed and I began to get worried!. Don't see any anchor on the back, and quite honestly, I doubt this thing will be supporting LATCH for a car seat.

Now I am trying to desperatly track down a 2010 that is still in the Ontario area. and I had such high hopes for the 2011 :(

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Bumping this up to note that I checked out the 2011 Sienna's third row at the Detroit auto show this weekend and confirmed our earlier suspicions about the third row's LATCH and tether anchor setup. The third row has full LATCH for the third row center position only, and there are no third row outboard top tether anchors. I wasn't able to check out the second row center removable seat's LATCH status, though. While there were several 2011 Sienna prototypes on the auto show floor, the only one that wasn't cordoned off did not have a second row center seating position, and the cordoned off prototypes with second row center seats weren't approachable enough to inspect closely. :( The 2011 Sienna should start arriving at Toyota dealerships in February 2010 for those who want to check it out further first hand.

NannyMom

I hope this works (first time posting)
2011_toyota_sienna_crg_fd_2_98.jpg

I've had just finished the grueling search for a vehicle that could seat 3 across one row. It took a while after my wife and I found out that we were having twins that we started this search as we were both in a bit of denial (no dear, the car will still work, at least for the first year!) The Toyota Sienna was it! GREAT... go to the dealer and ... sorry, none available, they are doing a redesign (this was in early december).

Oh well I thought, this shouldn't be a problem, they must know their rep as being one of the best mini-vans to pull off the 3 across the 2nd row so they aren't gonna mess with that will they???

Well the above photo shows the 8th seat installed and I began to get worried!. Don't see any anchor on the back, and quite honestly, I doubt this thing will be supporting LATCH for a car seat.

Now I am trying to desperatly track down a 2010 that is still in the Ontario area. and I had such high hopes for the 2011 :(

Can we get that pic bigger?

SavsMom

I'm back working at Toyota...we will be having the new Sienna launch this month. I will be sure to take pics of the vehicles when we have it (yes, we get to drive them like race cars to check the brakes, handling, etc). At launches they usually have various trim levels and configurations so hoping that I can get some good photos of the 8 pass models as well.

Very disappointing they don't have at least top tethers in the outboard 3rd row. Actually, I don't understand why they have LATCH only in the middle. Trying to figure out what engineering problem would force them to only stick it in the middle.

hsjwmom

That really is too bad. Dropping a set of LATCH instead of adding another? Seriously?! Oh, well. I plan on keeping my '06 for the long haul. It's a terrific vehicle, so no reason to get a newer one.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Yes, but the current design has the belt attached to the middle seat, not ceiling mounted for the middle row. ANd in actuality, they have dropped 2 full sets of latch from the vehicle, so now it is no better for carseats than the odyssey. I think they felt well, if honda is selling with only 3 sets of latch, why do we need 5:rolleyes: Let's hope it doesn't last long. I guess I will be keeping my 05 now for the long haul, also. Or maybe we will get a pilot instead, with 6 top tethers:thumbsup:

sirrahn

Yes, but the current design has the belt attached to the middle seat, not ceiling mounted for the middle row. ANd in actuality, they have dropped 2 full sets of latch from the vehicle, so now it is no better for carseats than the odyssey. I think they felt well, if honda is selling with only 3 sets of latch, why do we need 5:rolleyes:.... I guess I will be keeping my 05 now for the long haul, also.

My sentiments exactly. I'm extremely disappointed with the redesign. They've made it a much less larger family friendly vehicle IMO, and just as I wouldn't have considered an Ody for lack of true 8 passenger seating, the Sienna's now out for a future vehicle as well. We'll be stuck looking at SUV's I guess unless someone else picks up the slack. Glad my '04 is paid for and problem-free!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Just saw my first 2011 Sienna on the road today.... definitely going to take some getting used to for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC