All new 2011 Toyota Sienna...

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Really? I just saw a prototype last week at the auto show. They wouldn't let us in it.

Yes....but I think we have some sort of Toyota something or other down here because I always see Toyotas with special plates that say "manufacturer use only" although this Sienna didn't have any plates and did have a window sticker on it.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes....but I think we have some sort of Toyota something or other down here because I always see Toyotas with special plates that say "manufacturer use only" although this Sienna didn't have any plates and did have a window sticker on it.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

brelza

why can't automakers realize that "soccer moms" care about fuel economy and make a hybrid minivan? I mean plus it's good for the environment, but every mom wants to save money on gas, right? I know they have them in Europe, so why not here? Ugh, guess I'll see what honda can do for me and keep waiting for now...

ITA! We were pricing the 7+ passenger vehicles for ourselves. I'd LOVE a hybrid version but the price tags on those....:eek: and major major :thumbsdown: We'll NEVER be able to afford a vehicle with that kind of price tag.

Are you anywhere near San Antonio? There's a monster Toyota plant out there.

kphil

Wow, that's disappointing and puzzling how they have dropped LATCH locations and made the 8th seat less functional. Those two things were key in our decision to get a Sienna over an Odyssey in '05. If it had been this version we were looking at, we might have gone with the Odyssey. I'm glad to have my '05 now. What's up with the recliner middle row seats?? I'm wondering if the manual says not to actually travel with them in that position.

As far as fuel efficiency goes, we actually get amazing fuel efficiency in ours for a car that size. When we do long road trips, we average 29 mpg. My usual average for the usual way I drive the car is about 22mpg. It's certainly no Prius, but a Prius couldn't haul what I do in that car, either :).

WhatAboutPuppy

Maybe this is really old news but I was under the impression that the 8th seat in the sienna was WAY better size wise than the Plus One in the Odyssey?? In pictures it always looks like a good sized seats (on their website). The 8th seat on the prototype at our auto show was the same as the Odyssey but worse! It sits back so the arm rests of the outboard seats would be really uncomfortable.
Look how sunken it is compared to the captains chair:
21071_526432144118_51701790_31261119_1950312_n.jpg

21071_526432149108_51701790_31261120_869228_n.jpg

Yes, the 8th seat on the new Sienna is basically worthless.

Unless you need AWD, buy the Honda.

For what it's worth, the Toyota website has the Sienna page updated. It REALLY sucks tho. Car and Driver still has much more info and pics.

http://www.toyota.com/sienna/

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yup, it's the 2004-2010 8-passenger Siennas that have the wider second row center seat compared to the Ody's Plus One seat, almost as wide as the second row outboard spots in the 2004-2010 Siennas, but alas that is no more with the 2011 Sienna's redesign. The 2011 Sienna's second row center seat is markedly downsized and also devoid of LATCH. :( It might be possible to recline/unrecline/raise/lower or otherwise move the 2011 Sienna's second row seats more in alignment with each other to avoid having the second row center seat set back like that relative to the outboard seats, but egads it's so much narrower than the second row center seat in the previous 8-passenger version. :thumbsdown:

The specs link Codex posted on Toyota's site officially confirms our earlier conclusions based on the pictures and auto show peeks at the 2011 Sienna prototypes about LATCH-equipped seating positions:

LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) for outboard second-row seating positions and third-row middle seat

Kat_Momof3

oh this is depressing... and that 8th seat being sunken like that makes it even worse.

I'm missing SOMETHING because I can't see where the shoulderbelt is or comes from for that seat. Please don't tell me they managed to downgrade and give it a lap-only belt (thought new regulations got rid of those things)

I've heard mention somewhere that the new 2011 Odyssey has car seat connectors for the 3rd row. Not sure if that means just 1 spot in the 3rd row or more, but I'm holding out hope.

Right now, after seeing the exterior of the new Odyssey, I'm leaning Honda. DW and I are trying to figure out if my BIL will be pissed if we buy a Honda instead of a Toyota. :)

Jeanum

Staff member
oh this is depressing... and that 8th seat being sunken like that makes it even worse.

I'm missing SOMETHING because I can't see where the shoulderbelt is or comes from for that seat. Please don't tell me they managed to downgrade and give it a lap-only belt (thought new regulations got rid of those things)

Fear not on that aspect because lap-shoulder belts have been required in all rear seating positions in most passenger vehicles since the 2008 model year, and the Sienna has had them since at least 2004 and must continue to have them going forward. The 8-passenger 2011 Sienna's second row center shoulder belt is anchored on the second row driver's side captain's chair. You can see the shoulder belt for the second row center seat in this picture I took at the auto show (it's minus the actual second row center seat which was stowed in the storage cubby in the cargo area of this particular prototype, but you can see the shoulder belt):

2010-01-16-2011SiennaCaptainscha-1.jpg

I can confirm, 3rd row only has 1 set of LATCH. It's in the middle, but it's kinda offset to the side. Didn't try to install a car seat (dealer hadn't even scanned the cars into their inventory yet so I didn't wanna risk scratching anything), but it looks like if you install a seat back there, you really only have space for 1 other passenger. I sorta recall the current Sienna having something similar though, but with one extra LATCH position somewhere.

Others disagreed, but my eyes think that the trunk is marginally bigger than the last Sienna. You need to tug on two different straps, but they fold down into the well very easily. No need to remove headrests or anything. That 8th seat removes and stows very easily too.

Seats are quite comfy. That 8th seat is quite small narrow. Fits kids or a VERY skinny adult.

I dunno if it's just that example, but on the XLE, the 3rd row leather felt a bit stickier and more vinyly than the 2nd row. On the Limited, with the 2 tone leather, the 2 rows felt more alike.

The 2nd row seats slide VERY easily. I like this design. Better access to the 3rd row than it is now.

Double moonroof is nice, but those lounge chair things on the Limited is quite useless. Just not enough room to really lie back unless you're a short kid.

Still deciding whether I like that rear entertainment lcd screen. It's WIDE! However, you apparently need to use the headphones in order to use the split screen mode. I'm told most kids don't like bothering with the headphones, which makes the split screen sorta useless.

SavsMom

Went to the Sienna launch for the dealership yesterday. We basically get schooled on all the features and changes done to the van, we get to compare them to other vans on the market, etc etc.

The one thing I really really like about the new Sienna is the "long slide" seats for the 2nd row, they fold clam shell style, the slide all the way forward on the track to create a 27" opening to climb into the 3rd row.

The big wigs were there and were talking to some of us and one of them asked me "so what do you think of the new style" - I told him that I was very impressed with a lot of it, but that I was really irritated about one thing - of course he asked me what and I told him (pardon the language) - "Why in the hell did you only put one set of latch connectors and one tether in the third row?" I went on to explain why it was important etc etc. He actually took my comments down and was going to submit them for review. He said I made some very valid points and that in talking to me he could see why this would frustrate some parents and how it would be much more convenient if they were there :thumbsup:

Not that anything will come of it - who knows. They said that they may make some revisions to the new van once Honda released the new Ody - guess we will see what happens - but at least I got to air some frustration for all of us :whistle:

Jennifer mom to my 7

See, I knew they did it because of the success of the ody and its teeny middle seat! That stinks! Did you tell them about that? That now you can't easily fit 2 carseats side by side and still get in the back of van with that tiny seat?

Jeanum

Staff member
Savsmom, I'm hoping you could help out in this other 2011 Sienna thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=113471 about whether or not the second row passenger side captain's chair can be moved to the center like it can in the 2004-2010 7-passenger Sienna models. Thanks for all the insights on the new 2011 model.

lovinwaves

You know what though, that 8th seat is small and sunken in but look at that angle it has going on? I really really think a forward-facing Radian would install well (it does in the Honda Ody), as well as rear-facing. There is no plastic where the boot of the Radian would sit rear-facing unlike on the Ody. With that plastic on the Ody it will make the Radian over recline with a heavier child in it rear-facing. I wouldn't bash that middle seat just yet. I think it will just take the right car seat to make it work. Although, it some pictures it does seem skinner than the ody's? :confused:

SavsMom

I was going to answer - but was beat to it - lol! If anyone has any questions about it at all - we have a few 2011 Sienna's in stock so I can install various seats and take pics if needed. Just let me know.

Savsmom, I'm hoping you could help out in this other 2011 Sienna thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=113471 about whether or not the second row passenger side captain's chair can be moved to the center like it can in the 2004-2010 7-passenger Sienna models. Thanks for all the insights on the new 2011 model.

SavsMom

We had a 2010 Ody at the launch yesterday - and the 8th seat in the Sienna is a bit larger than the Ody's. I think a Radian would install in it with no problem - I will bring my Radian with on Friday and see if it will work.

The one thing I do like about the 8th seat is that when you remove it there is a place in the rear cargo area to strap it in so you don't have to actually leave the 8th seat sitting in the garage or house when not in use.

You know what though, that 8th seat is small and sunken in but look at that angle it has going on? I really really think a forward-facing Radian would install well (it does in the Honda Ody), as well as rear-facing. There is no plastic where the boot of the Radian would sit rear-facing unlike on the Ody. With that plastic on the Ody it will make the Radian over recline with a heavier child in it rear-facing. I wouldn't bash that middle seat just yet. I think it will just take the right car seat to make it work. Although, it some pictures it does seem skinner than the ody's? :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC