If you had my kid. WWYD?

dulcita77

She is 5.5 years old, 45lbs, and has about an inch to go until she is even with the Nautilus top slot.

When she turns 6 I am open to moving her to a HBB. But I think she will still have plenty of room in the GN. I don't need to pass the GN down for quite a while.

Keep her in the GN till she outgrows it?

What HBB would you buy?

ADS

mommy-medic

An inch of torso height is a long time to grow. I would leave her in it then use it as a booster- the GN makes one of the best HBB there is IMO.

mommaon112903

Josef at 5.5 years and pushing 40lbs was booster training in a Sunshine Kids Monterey because he was outgrowing the GN in harness mode and it made a terrible fit.

What *I* would do is, if you have not already, is start booster traning her so she is ready to go full-time in a booster when she does outgrow it. But I would not, under any circumanstances transition her to a booster without proper booster training.

Graco Turbo, Recaro Vivo or Britax Parkway SG generally fit all booster kiddos well. The Sunshine Kids Monterey fits the broader/older children well, so if your daughter has broader shoudlers, you could try the Monterey.

dulcita77

She has a Monterrey in a friend's car that she rides in maybe once a month for less than a mile.

I wasn't planning on using the GN as a booster. I am jonesin' to buy a new seat in the next year or so.

bubbaray

I have the Monterey and the Nautilus (and a FR, 2 RNs, a MA). I much prefer the Monterey, as does DD#1

Evolily

I'd leave her in it for now. I'd plan on moving her to booster mode when she gets closer to outgrowing it.

I'm with mommymedic- I think the nautilus (provided it fits the child well) is a really great booster and would use it in booster mode :thumbsup: .

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My dd is almost the same age and size as your dd - almost 5.5 and 44lbs last I weighed her. She is also in a Nautilus in one vehicle, and a convertible in our other. (True Fit, but she's close to even with the top harness height.)

I plan to start booster training her in the spring in the vehicle we use less often. She turns 6 in July and provided I can trust her to not fight with her younger brother in our car, she will go in to the booster full time in there as well. Unless she has yet another growth spurt, she will not have maxed out the height on the Nautilus by then.

I'll be completely honest and say that I am not a believer in keeping a mature child who is able to sit properly in a booster and is over 40lbs in a harness indefinitely until the seat is outgrown. For me the tentative age cap for harnessing with my kids is 6yrs old. We don't have any proof that harnessing is a safer option for kids that age who are over 40lbs and able to sit still in a booster, and as much as parents stress over moving to the next stage, it has to happen eventually. :twocents:

Morganthe

In the same situation, I'd keep her in the harness until she's outgrown it. If everyone's happy, why change? :shrug-shoulders:

Personally, I think booster training is as unecessary as a training bra. It's not like potty training where it has to be worked up to a certain level :rolleyes: When the time comes, the individual is ready for it. Few comments & rules, then go on in life. She'll be at least 6 years old, plenty old enough to understand sitting in a booster. No training needed except some instructions at the time for reinforcement.

I would also ask my daughter's opinion of a booster seat. Yours might be totally comfy in the Nautilus as a booster. She might like to try out a Monterey or some of the others. But 6+ is definitely old enough to weigh her opinion in the matter. :)

My 6 year old dd is happy in her Regent. We have a Monterey in the vehicle for friends, but she's not in any rush to switch over & lose her harness. She hates change and the seat is comfier.

hth :)

cookie123

I never thought Hannah would be 7 and still in the GN. She is happy there, though. No complaints. She has an inch to grow or so. She weighs right around 41 - 42 lbs. If nothing changes, I'll have her go to a booster this spring, I guess. She has the occasional booster ride if she goes with me, and she really needs some reminding to stay in position.

I'd see how she is doing in the booster she's in and make sure she's sitting correctly and continue occasional use. But, I'd just keep her in the GN harnessed for now if she's happy with it. Hannah can't buckle her booster, but can buckle her GN, so that's also a plus!

horseymom

My dd is almost the same age and size as your dd - almost 5.5 and 44lbs last I weighed her. She is also in a Nautilus in one vehicle, and a convertible in our other. (True Fit, but she's close to even with the top harness height.)

I plan to start booster training her in the spring in the vehicle we use less often. She turns 6 in July and provided I can trust her to not fight with her younger brother in our car, she will go in to the booster full time in there as well. Unless she has yet another growth spurt, she will not have maxed out the height on the Nautilus by then.

I'll be completely honest and say that I am not a believer in keeping a mature child who is able to sit properly in a booster and is over 40lbs in a harness indefinitely until the seat is outgrown. For me the tentative age cap for harnessing with my kids is 6yrs old. We don't have any proof that harnessing is a safer option for kids that age who are over 40lbs and able to sit still in a booster, and as much as parents stress over moving to the next stage, it has to happen eventually. :twocents:

thanks for this. Your kids and mine are about the same age and about the same weight and my plan is also to start DD in a booster in the spring. I also have plans to turn DS FFing in the spring as well ( I think so anyways) I think he will be very close to the RFing TF limit then.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
thanks for this. Your kids and mine are about the same age and about the same weight and my plan is also to start DD in a booster in the spring. I also have plans to turn DS FFing in the spring as well ( I think so anyways) I think he will be very close to the RFing TF limit then.

You're welcome. We have the same plan for ds. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC