Carseat install misinformation from Police station install- what should I do

U

Unregistered

I sent my husband to have our carseat installed by our local Police Station yesterday afternoon (a station listed as represented by the DuPage safe kids organization) however the officer who installed my seat gave my husband incorrect information on the safest recommended position.

After a lot of research I decideded we would rear-face by daughter until the maximum weight limit of our seat (FP Safe Voyage Deluxe) and explained to my husband why. The officer doing the installation told my husband we should turn the seat around in a month (when my daughter turns 1) and forward-face her. When my husband relayed this information to me I repeated we would continue to rear-face her to the max and my husband said the officer said they don't recommend doing that due to the positioning of their legs once they get longer (i.e. their legs being too long and then having to sprawl up the seat back).

I'm concerned because they are giving out recommendations that contradict what all sources I have read indicate concerning the safety of rear-facing to the max weight limit. I feel most parents, because they may rely on these types of programs for installations (i.e. local police or fire stations) don't do their own research and wouldn't know the information given yesterday wasn't the safest recommendation.

I would like suggestions or advice on how to handle this. Should I take this up w/ the office who did the install, his supervisor or other authority figure? Please advise; I'm really kind of irked by this.

DuPage County SAFE KIDS Represented Agencies and WSCPS Team Member Organizations
Addison Fire Department, Aurora Police Department, Bloomingdale Police Department, Carol Stream Fire Department, Central DuPage Hospital, Downers Grove Police Department, DuPage County Health Department, DuPage County Sheriff's Department, Elmhurst Fire Department, Elmhurst Memorial Health, Glendale Heights Police Department, Glen Ellyn Police Department, Lisle-Woodridge Fire Protection District, Lombard Police Department, Naperville Police Department, North Aurora Police Department, Roselle Police Department, Rush-Copley Medical Center, Streamwood Police Department, Wheaton Police Department, Willowbrook Police Department, Winfield Fire Protection District, Woodridge Police Department,

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hello,

The inspector did not give you incorrect advice, the 12 month/20 pound minimum for front facing is correct. On the other hand, it is a minimum and most agencies and technicians do recommend that you keep children rear-facing up to the limits listed in the owner's manual of your child restraint. Leg position for an older rear-facing child may be a comfort issue, but is not a safety issue.

If you like, please register and send me a private message with the additional details on your inspection and I will try to help. You may also use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page if you prefer not to register.

Lena

I've discovered that even though an officer is willing to check/install your seat they're not all techs and some have no clue what they are doing.

mamato2

Just my humble opinion but 'can turn her in a month' is different from 'should turn her' in a month! Many would NEVER question or re-think that advice esp. coming from a law enforcement officer.
Suggesting the parent watch for signs of discomfort from an older or larger rf child is also different from advising against rf due to leg positioning (unless there is evidence that certain positions are more likely to end in injury to a child-which there may be).
Seems as though minimum requirements should be stated and then alternatives thereafter could be mentioned. IE. child should NOT be turned before 1 and 20 but may be kept that way until limit of the seats are reached. Let parents know it is not a requirement to turn them at the 'minimum'.
C.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I've discovered that even though an officer is willing to check/install your seat they're not all techs and some have no clue what they are doing.

Even those who are certified technicians vary a lot in their knowledge and experience. Some are passionate about doing child passenger safety and learn as much as they can, while others learn the minimum necessary because they were required to do it by their agency.

We all do our best to stay current, but not everyone has the time to be familiar with many of the issues that are not covered in detail during the class. With feedback from parents, we can try to make sure the feedback gets back to the technician without causing them an issue with their employment. This can usually be done through a local or state coordinator. On the other hand, if a tech is clearly giving unsafe advice that is contrary to instructions, a more direct approach might be needed...

Lena

I had one tell me it was ILLEGAL for my daughter to be rear facing past a year. She only weighed 16-17 lbs!! He then told me he's not a tech but knows how to install a seat.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just my humble opinion but 'can turn her in a month' is different from 'should turn her' in a month! Many would NEVER question or re-think that advice esp. coming from a law enforcement officer.
Suggesting the parent watch for signs of discomfort from an older or larger rf child is also different from advising against rf due to leg positioning (unless there is evidence that certain positions are more likely to end in injury to a child-which there may be).
Seems as though minimum requirements should be stated and then alternatives thereafter could be mentioned. IE. child should NOT be turned before 1 and 20 but may be kept that way until limit of the seats are reached. Let parents know it is not a requirement to turn them at the 'minimum'.
C.

Even though most reputable agencies have made similar recommendations for at least a few years, the word is still spreading. For example, you can still find webpages at NHTSA, Consumer Reports and others that have the outdated information that says a front-facing seat should be used when the child is 1 year and 20 pounds. With information like that still circulating in print brochures and online, it's not always easy to convice some parents and technicians otherwise. Fortunately, if a parent knows better and the technician refuses to listen, the parent can choose to question their advice (as is the case here) and seek out another technician for information.

It's not so much different than getting a second opinion on a medical issue. One doctor may still be using a standard technique, while another may have experience in a newer, less-invasive or safer technique.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I had one tell me it was ILLEGAL for my daughter to be rear facing past a year. She only weighed 16-17 lbs!! He then told me he's not a tech but knows how to install a seat.

I had that happen too. I was told it was illegal for children over 20 pounds to rear-face. Okay, whatever. If that is the case, I am willing to break the law. :p

beahero

Any ideas on what we, as a community, can do to spread the word faster about the PROPER recommendations for installation/seat position/RF vs. FF, etc. You would think that safety orgs, lawmakers, the media, would take our concerns seriously, as it pertains to misinformation on keeping our children safe. For them it would be a PR nightmare to ignore child safety.

skaterbabs

Honestly, we've been trying for years. We just switched back to our old ped after searching for a closer one that was half decent for several years. (We moved nadthe old one is 45+ minutes away.)

She and I were talking and she didn't know that it was better for kids to RF to 2 years old. So I gently informed her to tell her patients 2yrs/30 lbs for RF and 4/40 for a harness. She and I are old pals though, so it's a bit easier for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC