what carseats to get for new babies??

lotsolove

we currently have 3 dd's, a 2001 dodge caravan and looking at getting twin newborns possibly next week
L age 5 in a radian 65 rear driver side seat
K 2.5 rf radian xt center seat center position
J 1.5 rf ss1 center seat passenger side outboard

J is pretty much ready for a new seat but still fits fine in the ss1(only 19 lbs) very tiny girl

I have a snugride already just 2 yrs old.
what new seats should I get? I would love for the babies to have matching seats but budget is definitely a factor, they are just under 5 lbs.

help!!!

ADS

todzwife

For itty bitties, I have heard the chicco keyfit is an awesome fit. That's what I'm getting for our newbie due in may.

M

MJof2G

I have a Graco SafeSeat for my DD who is 10months old. I love it, she loves it, DH loves it. I am SO Happy we got this one. She was 5lbs 14oz & 17inches when she was born.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
i highly recommend chicco keyfits for tiny babes, if budget is a factor there are a couple other seats that i hear fit tiny ones well too- i believe these include the safety first onboard...and i think something else i can't remember...i'm sure someone else will come along with it.

Pixels

The only two seats that I know of that are rated for babies under 5 pounds are the Combi and the KeyFit. There's probably more, I'm just not aware of them.

Kat_Momof3

we currently have 3 dd's, a 2001 dodge caravan and looking at getting twin newborns possibly next week
L age 5 in a radian 65 rear driver side seat
K 2.5 rf radian xt center seat center position
J 1.5 rf ss1 center seat passenger side outboard

J is pretty much ready for a new seat but still fits fine in the ss1(only 19 lbs) very tiny girl

I have a snugride already just 2 yrs old.
what new seats should I get? I would love for the babies to have matching seats but budget is definitely a factor, they are just under 5 lbs.

help!!!

Okay... it sounds like you have a bench in the 2nd row... so this is what I'd do.

third row... RF Radian (remove the headrest on the 2nd row bench seats and store them where you'll remember where they are and where they will be safe for when you need them down the road)... (you can load the rf children through the hatch... I did this with my daughter when she was little... it was so easy), FF Radian, RF SS1 (unless this doesn't fit, in which case try the ss1 in the middle of the two Radians)

This way, your oldest can climb in and get buckled while you put the 2.5yr old in... then you can put your ss1 in (if you don't tote it, I'd put it in the middle for convenience of loading kids between the two Radians)

Then, I'd put the two newborns in Chicco Keyfits (sorry, but the snugrides don't fit tiny newborns well and neither does the ss1) OR (if money is tight) two evenflo infant seats... inexpensive... not the easiest to use, but they do fit small babies well... in the 2nd row on the bench.

Down the line, when you're ready to get rid of the ss1, I'd get another Radian for your 1yr old.

henrietta

Safety First On Board is rated from 4 lbs (up to 30!), is cheaper, and fits tiny babies. The Learning Curve Via (or the older Compass I420) is also rated from 4 lbs up to 22 lbs, and you can sometimes find them on sale. Some/one of the Combi's is 4 lbs and up, as is the Mia Moda I think.

GL!

henrietta

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Combi Shuttle is from "birth"-- no lower weight limit.

The Mia Modas are all currently under recall so it may be hard to find them...

The OnBoard is easy to install and use, IMO, and is the cheapest option-- if you price match here at diapers.com and use the 10% off code for first-time customers (on the front page of their site) you could get one for $80-ish (I think they will only price-match one, but you can check) or a little less if you add a small pack of Luvs diapers (will be free after code) and use a referral code as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC