My TF needs to be replaced

brooklynsmommy

My two sisters and cousin were driving when they were hit. DD's seat was in the back passenger side seat. Which seat should I get? I really want a Radian XT or XTSL for the flora cover. ETA: The other person has Progressive insurance. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do I buy one and send them the receipt or wait for them to give me a check for my seat? Judi wants my TF.
Here is the car.

Last edited:
ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I believe they will replace your seat for free. Or so I've read in the past. I haven't been on in such a long time that it might have changed. My guess is that they'll want the crashed seat, but you can keep the cover and accessories.

Susan

Heather86

hum....If her stats in your siggy are current I'd go with the xtsl and get the flora cover. Mainly because I really want it so my view is askew lol But on a serious note, I would go with the radian because it's great rf or ff :thumbsup:

todzwife

Why not get a Radian?

Unfortunately, it looks like the Flora is OOS everywhere right now, but if you could find it, that's what I'd get. (actually, I AM getting one, as soon as they are back in stock at diapers.com)

Pixels

Well, clearly the problem is there were three people driving! :p

Since there is no perfect seat . . .

What do you like about the TrueFit? What do you like about the Marathon? Any other seats you've owned?

What don't you like about all of the above seats?

How much growing room does she have in the TF? According to your siggy, she's FFing in the Marathon. Are you interested in maxing out RFing? What do you like about the idea of the Radian? At 4 years old and part-time forward facing, have you considered getting a combination seat instead of another convertible?

brooklynsmommy

Well, clearly the problem is there were three people driving! :p

Since there is no perfect seat . . .

What do you like about the TrueFit? What do you like about the Marathon? Any other seats you've owned?
I liked the way that she fit in the TF. I liked how it installed. I liked the way the MA in stalled as well. I also liked the not twisty straps on the MA and the non continuous staraps.
What don't you like about all of the above seats?
I do not want another MA. I do not like the recent test results for it. I don't like the continuous harness or the twisty tongs of the TF.
How much growing room does she have in the TF? According to your siggy, she's FFing in the Marathon. Are you interested in maxing out RFing?
What do you like about the idea of the Radian? At 4 years old and part-time forward facing, have you considered getting a combination seat instead of another convertible?
RF she is right above the 3rd slots. I would like her to RF, but have no problem with her being FF. I like the Radian because of the low sides on the bottom. It would give her more leg room options. I really like the head wings as well. The only FF combination that I like is the Nautilus Elite (the lock off).
I'd get the Radian, but I wouldn't expect insurance to cover the upgrade.

It really wouldn't be a big price difference between the two. THe TF was $180 and I have seen the XT for $215. I would pay that.

Pixels

It's hard to tell from that picture, but she might not have all that much room in the Radian to grow RFing. If that's fine with you, that's fine.

It sounds like you're really a lock-off gal. The Radian doesn't have lockoffs, and can be a tough install to boot. Have you played with one? I'm worried that you might hate it.

It does sound like the Radian or Nautilus Elite are the right seats for you to be looking at.

brooklynsmommy

The only reason that I need the lock off is because my van is a 93 and I would have to use a locking clip. Once the sucker is installed ( I only live and hour from Judi :D) It wouldn't need to be moved. Of course I would learn to use the dumb thing... but I like convenience! I will have other seats come tax return time. I would really like her to be RF due to the fact that my van isn't a newer one with extra safety things like top tethers and air curtain airbags.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yep, my 65 is leaving home for awhile too! Hmmm, that doesn't leave much AT home. I do keep a token booster in my car though.

MANDY1234

Progressive isnt to bad...like to start out with the "well not all seats have to be replaced" I threw them some car seat knowledge and was called back the next day to ask for a replacement cost. They say you have to replace with the exact some seat but let me fax them a ad price to get my replacement check. I was able to keep the covers from my RNs but had to turn the seats over for the check... I havnt' replace the kids seats cause I want FLORA!!! Oh

InternationalMama

Doesn't Learning Curve have a crash replacement program where they will send you a new True Fit for free if you send the old seat back to them, if they deem the crash to necessitate a replacement?

I know you said you want an XTSL so maybe you don't want to take advantage of that program, but if it turns out to be a hassle getting the other person's insurance to replace the seat that might be an option.

NannyMom

Doesn't Learning Curve have a crash replacement program where they will send you a new True Fit for free if you send the old seat back to them, if they deem the crash to necessitate a replacement?

I know you said you want an XTSL so maybe you don't want to take advantage of that program, but if it turns out to be a hassle getting the other person's insurance to replace the seat that might be an option.

Actually.... you're right. someone here (maybe a few people?) did get new seats from Learning Curve after a crash.

Kat_Momof3

I'd see if Learning Curve will replace the seat... the Radian can be a beast to install and I'd want a seat that could be installed without having to go over to have Judi do it (not that you aren't awesome, Judi)

but... what about the Graco Myride? the Comfort Air? are those ruled out? (they might be easier installs)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I'd see if Learning Curve will replace the seat... the Radian can be a beast to install and I'd want a seat that could be installed without having to go over to have Judi do it (not that you aren't awesome, Judi)

:yeahthat: But I am happy to teach.

Raegansmom4

I had to deal with progressive a little over a year ago (other driver at fault). They (in SD) said they will not replace an unoccupied seat. They gave me replacement cost for the seat that was occupied. They looked up the cost of the seat/cover I had (snugride), and cut me a check for that amount. Luckily for me, the accident was super minor, so I didn't have to replace my unoccupied Marathon on my own. ETA: they took my crashed seat. I had to leave it in the car and they picked it up at the shop when my car was getting repaired.

stephie1012

Learning curve replaced my TF after my accident. I just called to ask if it needed to be replaced (minor) and before i knew it she was asking for my address to send me a new one.

brooklynsmommy

Maybe I'll replace it with another TF. I do like the seat, I just wanted to be able to rear face for a while longer. I guess she could FF for a few months until I get my tax check.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC