Could WE do a YouTube video?

Splash

Since a lot of people seem to be getting car seat advice from YouTube, I thought about all of us putting one together.

We could show pictures of seats, and then point out what is wrong (loose straps, belly clip, outer anchors for center install, FF too soon, belt and latch, etc) and then show a picture of a "good" install/usage.

And/or show some seats that look perfectly fine but are NOT, to point out the dangers of second hand seats. I have one that has been in a rollover, I know people have expired ones, I could get pictures from that horrid consignment store of recalled ones or ones that have had the straps washed/ironed.

Any ideas?

ADS

Simplysomething

I want someone to make one with the baby in the snowsuit--demonstrating why they are a bad idea. Would be nice to say..."see this video"...instead of trying to describe why it is bad, kwim.

JaRylan

Splash,
I think that is a great idea! It would be interesting to see how fast a good carseat video would flood the internet. Would you be able to include the rf, ff, booster crash videos or would there be copyright or something on them? Photos of a horrible crash, with the car seat hanging upside down and then the next shot is of the child who survived that crash without a scratch, playing happily with her siblings, because she was properly restrained in a car seat.

Just rambling, if I get it all out of my head then someone else can decide if it is a good idea or a bad idea, lol.

LuvBug

lets use this thread to spurt ideas, text, photos wanted in the video(s). Maybe if we can get all the information together(song, text, photos) it will be easier for someone to put it together. If it is all planned out then Im sure someone will volunteer to put it together.
(or maybe start a new thread to collect the data)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
This is an awesome idea! Good thinkin Splash! Who actually knows how to put something like this together? Snowsuits/jackets is a good idea, and it would be good to show some after-market products and why they're not safe (like the baby cover things that go under the baby) and ones that are safe (doesn't Kashi -or maybe its someone else- have a swaddler thing that is safe for car seats?)
This will be so exciting if we can actually get it done.

Dillipop

This is such a good idea! I have been hesitant to send the other videos to family because some of the information is not correct and that doesn't sit well with me.

I think straight facts would be good...like between 1-2, children are 4 times more likely to be injured ffing than rfing. The statistics for improperly used seats, with a list of most common misuses.

Pics of properly used harnesses, properly installed seats, etc.
Pics of extended rearfacing, extended harnessing options, extended harnessed kids, pics of proper booster usage, etc.

Baby's crying, but I'll be back with more later

Michi

Kids in lap/only belts, kids in front seats, older kids with no boosters ( show the 5 step test???) Ooooh - this could be a LONG video! There's so much to say!

scatterbunny

Mark JUST SAID TO ME LAST NIGHT that I needed to make a video to show people like Richard's family (who won't listen to anything I have to say or have showed them on paper).

I think it's a great idea!

It should be all all-around CPS video, beginning with the basics of RF, bare minimums and best practice, 5 step test, lapbelt dangers, etc. etc.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I always thought a good test about harnesses fitting and being loose/tight is to harness your child up, then take the seat and turn it upside down and shake it. Sure, the forces of a car rolling are much more than that... But, still helps a litte...? Maybe show something like that. (We actually do this to Nolan - just for fun!)

Splash

I don't think I'd show that. Most people aren't strong enough to do that, and I would worry about kids getting dropped on their heads!

mamato2

GREAT idea!! Might need to divide the ideas into TWO videos though. Too long and people will either not watch or quit part way through. I think what makes the most impact on the viewers are the children and the emotion they evoke.

Maybe one showing a family heading out. Stowing jackets for the trip, checking seats for tightness, tightening harness and checking at collar bone for snugness. Mom/Dad double checking the kids in boosters too. Hand out some soft toys, entertainment and they're off. In between show the 'rules', 'guidelines' and statistics.
C.

kelly

Fabulous idea!

For the snowsuit thing - put a kid in a seat while wearing a snowsuit. Take kid out w/o adjusting straps. Put kid back in (no suit) and show how you can practically pull him out b/c the straps are so loose.

The bone development images from baby bargains are good. Along with stats from Sweden.

Show how HARD you have to work to put a seat in. I don't think its "hard", but you know what I mean. Some people just set the seat down and buckle it without straining to tighten it.

Illustrate SLOT HEIGHT differences. One of my biggest pet peeves is how varied they are, you don't realize you bought a short seat until the kid grows!

Highlight 3-in-1 "issues". Though, I don't want it to become a "We only love Britax" type thing, just point out the fallacy of the "only seat you'll ever need" thing.

Booster fit and maturity guides (well he bend over, how will he sleep, can he not mess with belts).

LATCH primer - check car manual to see where your lower anchor spots are, center not always an approved spot, etc.

Hmmm, this might need to be a SERIES - RF, FF, Booster!

SPJ&E

I think Kelly's idea is good...about having separate videos. Those with a limited attention span OR limited amount of computer time at once (both of those being ME, lol) would stop watching about halfway through if it's too long. It might be more of a pain to have a series of vidoes, rather than one big one, but I think it would go over a lot better!

scatterbunny

I agree. One on rear-facing, one on extended harnessing, one on boostering and the 5 step test. Maybe one on the common misuses (straps too loose, winter clothing too thick, no locking clip when one is necessary, etc).

kelly

I think Kelly's idea is good...about having separate videos. Those with a limited attention span OR limited amount of computer time at once (both of those being ME, lol) would stop watching about halfway through if it's too long. It might be more of a pain to have a series of vidoes, rather than one big one, but I think it would go over a lot better!

I also think just from the angle of "don't want to overwhelm", separate would be good. That way a parent at the infant seat stage wouldn't have to be overwhelmed by the booster info, and vice versa.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I also agree with the idea of separate videos. I think an a couple who is expecting their first child would probably watch a video of infant seat/rf information, but not be interested in proper booster usage, and parents of older kids won't be interested in rf info, so might as well do separate videos to meet the needs of each age group or category of seats or something. That way people won't feel like its wasting their time watching stuff that they have no use for.

SPJ&E

I agree! Right now, I tend to skip over anything concerning a combination seat or booster...which is why I don't have a lot of knowledge in that area, some, but not as much as I will once we're at that stage.

I know a lot about convertible seats, rear-facing, and harnessing FF...those are my areas because that's basically where my boys are. Well, Joshua's still in the infant seat, but I think you know what I mean!

LuvBug

yes seperate movies will be better at getting specific ideas across. After so long they will start to get board with all the information if it is a long computer video clip.

Also lets not forget to make it sappy! sappy always works lol!

Splash

Yippee!

So, what do we do?

I completely agree it needs to be broken up for RF, FF, and boosters. Definitely show older kids RF and harnessed. I don't think we can actually do a *video* really, it would have to be a montage/slideshow like the rest of them, but it would be great! With all the attention the Kyle video got, I'm sure we could get the message through to some people!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC