Thinking about maybe trying to become a CPST, but...

nmb

.....I have a really hard time getting car seats in tight by myself.

(sorry if this is the wrong place to post, feel free to move, wasn't sure where to put it?)

Almost always DH has to tighten them for me....the only exception is the Radian which is a breeze to install IMO (but we've had one of those since DS was an infant, and the same vehicles, so maybe that's why?) Mostly talking about rearfacing since that's mostly what I have exp. with; the couple times I've had to install another seat myself since DS was 1 I've had to put it FF and have DH turn it around later (once a Marathon & once a Signo, before we got the 2nd Radian). I can't even imagine a Scenera or something RF'ing...I never was able to get the infant seats in tight enough (1 Cosco ? and 1 Snugride) - well, I could get them in plenty tight with the MightyTite before I knew better, but...:rolleyes: But I've been told there are some "tricks" you learn in the classes to get seats tighter?

So my question is.... anyone else who is a CSPT now who was unable to install seats or had a hard time, getting them tight, and learned to do it in the classes? Or should I just ignore it and stick w/ keeping my little guy safe (w/ Dad tightening the seats?).

(a friend of mine is meeting with a CPST-I ;) next week about possibly becoming a tech and asked if I'd like to join her....I told her I'd thought about it before but the issues w/ installing made me not want to ... she said they'll teach you tricks to get all the seats in tight)

.....Just thinking out loud here I guess. :eek:;)

Last edited:
ADS

autumnlily

You will learn how to tighten - that is the fantastic part. Tag along with your friend and express your concern regarding you current struggle to tighten seats to the CPST-I and perhaps s/he can give you a few hands on tips and assess why you have a hard time.

I have extreme carpal tunnel in my dominant hand and have found ways to use my body (not my knee) to assist in tightening.

I say you have a great chance of getting it down!

urchin_grey

You'll learn some tricks to help you out. In my class, they taught us to use your hand in the seat, ONLY ("never stick you knee in someone's seat!", but that just does not cut it for me. It might work for the policemen and firefighters, but its impossible for me to get an acceptable install that way. For one, I'm just not very strong, and two, I battle off and on iron and vitamin deficiencies, so that puts a hamper on my strength sometimes. :eek: So yeah, if I have to put some hip into a RF'ing seat to get it tighter or stick a knee in a FF'ing seat, I'll do it. Its not like I hop around in the seat or anything.

simplychels

You'll learn some tricks to help you out. In my class, they taught us to use your hand in the seat, ONLY ("never stick you knee in someone's seat!", but that just does not cut it for me. It might work for the policemen and firefighters, but its impossible for me to get an acceptable install that way. For one, I'm just not very strong, and two, I battle off and on iron and vitamin deficiencies, so that puts a hamper on my strength sometimes. :eek: So yeah, if I have to put some hip into a RF'ing seat to get it tighter or stick a knee in a FF'ing seat, I'll do it. Its not like I hop around in the seat or anything.

So glad I was never taught that way! They applauded me for getting INTO seats with my full body just to ensure I got things tight. I'm tall but a light weight, and pushing on seats with my hands just doesnt cut it. I HAVE to get in and put my whole weight into it. In fact I often get parents to get their whole self into the seat to get it tight otherwise most of them have struggled. Though I do give them the chance to do it their way, by just pushing and pulling and then asking them "are you satisfied?" and always they say no (which is the right answer since always the seat is moving more then 1inch and I try to get them rock that car solid). so i then say "ok mom, hop in! just like I did" and they do and are much happier with the end result haha.

and yes you will learn tips and tricks to help. Though honestly I learned more tips and tricks on this website then I had in the training ;)

Pixels

The no knees in seats thing was taught in my class, too. You know what can happen when a 250 pound guy gets in a seat? It can break the seat. Baaaaaad.

It's a relatively new change. One of the instructors (or ICs) learned it at the same time we did, when another instructor corrected him. If you're a real lightweight, and use all the tricks and still can't get it tight, I think most will be willing to overlook a knee. Now if you were climbing into the seat, jumping up and down while pushing on the ceiling, that they probably won't be so willing to overlook.

Maedze

They did teach the 'no knees in the seat' thing in my class as well. (2007)

I understand the theory behind it (great big muscular firefighters and police officers were hopping in and either breaking the seats or convincing the parents there was no way to install the seats on their own.) but as far as I'm concerned it's a bit of a 'throw the baby out with the bath water' alarmist reaction.

If I *can* install with my hand only, sure thing, that's what I do. But there are times and places when a knee is completely appropriate, and I use it without concern.

OP, they WILL teach you techniques...go ahead and take the class if you want!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Most people in my class had never touched a car seat before, so I think you'll be ok ;)

We also learned "no knees in the seat" but I ignore it. If it makes it easier for me and/or the parent, why not? I'd rather show them something quick and easy rather than struggling with trying to get enough weight with my hand, and then the parent comes away from it thinking it's difficult.

nmb

Thanks everyone!
I'm guessing you'll probably have to install a seat (or few) anyway during the class and/or test and if you can't you're not gonna pass right?
Really though....why can't the US just go with a LATCH system that is like the Europe one, standard spacing so you can have rigid connectors and no need to tighten like that??? (Ok, topic for a whole 'nother thread, right?)....
-Just seems like it'd be awful hypocritical to be a CPST and not be able to install a seat, right? :whistle:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks everyone!
I'm guessing you'll probably have to install a seat (or few) anyway during the class and/or test and if you can't you're not gonna pass right?
Really though....why can't the US just go with a LATCH system that is like the Europe one, standard spacing so you can have rigid connectors and no need to tighten like that??? (Ok, topic for a whole 'nother thread, right?)....
-Just seems like it'd be awful hypocritical to be a CPST and not be able to install a seat, right? :whistle:

Oh yeah, every day you're in and out of everyone's cars, playing with seats (bring your Radian at least once, if you're comfortable, so people can get experience), and there's a check at the end of class that's required.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You'll get lots of practice and they'll make sure you get it before the end! :)

My lead instructor was a pretty lightweight woman herself. She taught us, "The curriculum says you are supposed to use your hand in the seat to apply pressure. Try that first. If you can't get it you may need to put your knee in the seat to get enough weight and pressure to get it tight." :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC