Medela Freestyle?

Rosey

Anyone have one? I am thinking I will really like the hands free option, and portability. I had the Ameda purely yours that I bought used and the motor finally went out so I need another double electric.

What are your thoughts?
Does the hands free really work?
Would you consider buying a used one?

ADS

elle7715

I have one, but have never used the hands-free attachments. :eek: I just hold them against me with one arm. It's quite the setup and since I mostly wear nursing tanks I've never bothered to see if I could even use them. I personally bought it because it can be charged and run on the battery alone. I have to pump in random places during nursing clinicals and a lot of times there isn't an available outlet to use. It comes in very handy at home because I can walk around and do other things while pumping. Like I said though, I've never attempted the hands-free part.

I would probably consider a used one. I've had moisture back up in the tubing more than my previous PIS and I think it's because the tubing connects at the bottom instead of straight out of the back like the PIS horns. I've never had the moisture go more than a few inches into the tubing though, it never reached the motor. Just make sure the pump hasn't been used a lot. The pumps are only guaranteed for a year and that's because they do wear out. I've had two PISs (one for each of my two older kids). I pumped about once a day for my daughter and that pump lost a lot of suction but never quit. I completely killed the motor on the pump I used with my son because I was pumping more. I don't expect this pump to last more than a year because I'm using it so much.

It's a little strange when you're pumping because it doesn't feel the same as the PISs I've had before. The motor actually vibrates the horns and it doesn't seem to have as airtight of suction. I initially had trouble letting down because of it but now I'm used to it. I really do like the pump and it's been a lifesaver because I can charge it. I'll have to look up the online store I got it from. I definitely did NOT pay the listed price.

Rosey

Which pump did you get more milk from? The PIS or FS? Hm, I guess I could sacrifice convenience for more milk.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Up until last week (when it was stolen, whole 'nother post) I used a Freestyle exclusively. Since then I've been borrowing a friend's PISA after a really bad time with a single pump (she has a 4 month old, we're passing it back and forth between us until I can get mine replaced) and there's NO COMPARISON. I have to use the PISA on the highest setting, whereas with the Freestyle I use 4 and 5 (out of 10). I've used the handsfree all.the.time. It's actually what I'm having the hardest time not having. I pump 3-4 times a day on a typical workday. I pump at work while working, so the need for the handsfree is pretty obvious. I also pump first thing every morning on one side while S nurses the other, and it's way harder having to hold the horn on - he's a kicker.

The battery-pack is great - other pumps have a battery use, but they're 'regular' batteries and the suction isn't as good, whereas the Freestyle is made for using the battery, and it's some crazy giant one that you just plug in once in a while to recharge - maybe every 2 weeks or so.

I bought mine from addalittlelove.com - I want to say I paid around $300 after shipping and insurance - they sell at a discounted rate, I think you have to email them to get the actual price or something like that.

Medela is my new favorite company - I called them after my Freestyle got stolen to see about some sort of handsfree attachment and they offered me a brand new Freestyle for $100 :eek: Their customer service has always been stellar, so that tops the cake for me.

Oh, and about the motor dying out - I use mine around 6-8 hours in a normal workweek, and my Freestyle had the same suction that it had the day I bought it. Now, I never went above a 5 power, so maybe using it at a higher setting is different, but I didn't have that experience.

sb518

I have LOVED mine. It has held up so well considering I pumped exclusively (every 3 hours) for a good couple of months, and then continued to use it to pump the side DD wouldn't eat off of for another 2 months. Now I use it at work and it's still going strong. I LOVE how small it is, and that I don't need to plug it in. The battery is a really nice one and it doesn't slow down when the battery gets low, it just keeps going full power and then turns off.

Does the hands free really work? Oh my gosh, YES! I love the handsfree thing and now I can't imagine having to hold them on.

Would you consider buying a used one? Only if I knew the person I was buying it from, and the pump's history.

The majority of the time I use it on the 7th setting. Sometimes I'll go up to 9 (the highest.) Baby is 5 months old now and it's still working like it's straight out of the box.

My parent's bought mine from BRU for $400. It's worth every penny.

sb518

Medela is my new favorite company - I called them after my Freestyle got stolen to see about some sort of handsfree attachment and they offered me a brand new Freestyle for $100 :eek: Their customer service has always been stellar, so that tops the cake for me.

:eek: That is SOOOO great! I was so sad for you. I hadn't been locking mine up at work but after reading your post I decided I better.

elle7715

I think I get the same amount of milk as I did with my PIS. It really is a great pump and you won't be sorry if you get it. I paid around $280 for mine through AwayBabyEssentials.com and was really happy with them. They were having a sale though so email them to see what their pricing is now. They'll also price match anything.

I'm glad to hear the suction on the Freestyle is holding up well for everyone. I used to use the PIS on full power but with the Freestyle I use the number 6 setting. I need to check out the hands free attachments now...it sounds like everyone really likes them.

sopapia

i love mine. it's the best one out of all the ones medela ever had (i've used almost every single one, PIS, PISA, symphony, original, limited edition, etc). i'm done pumping recently...forever. :) 1 year for each kid, total 3, is enuf, wouldn't you say? you can get a handsfree strapless bra thing. never tried the hands free kit that came with it. seems cumbersome. i used the old medela handsfree kit with some revision that works with the medela seamless bra. this is one pump that i wouldn't be grossed out to use a used one b/c of the design...similar to the ones you rent from the hospital. i charge it once a week and works great. i think it pumps everything out faster than PISA. i also don't use the bottles that it came with. i either used avent bottles (9 or 11oz) with adapter or i buy the gerber 9oz plastic ones.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC