Question 4 kids under 4 in honda Odyssey

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the optimal arrangment of the following carseats in a 2008 Honda Odyssey:

3.4 year old in forward facing Britax marathon (do school drop off and pick up for him)
2 year old in forward facing Britax marathon
1 year old in rear facing Britax Roundabout
newborn in Graco Safeseat

Thanks so much! I appreciate any suggestions!

Nancy

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Truly it is 100% up to you. All of those seats will fit in any seating position (except the jump seat). I'd probably put the 2 captains seats together and put the rf baby in the center captains chair and the rf RA in the other. That way you can put the rf child in the Roudabout then walk around and plop the baby in the center and reach back and help the other 2 buckle through the space provided. You will have to put the 2 kids in the 3rd row outboard as they are not going to fit side by side. You may have to play around and see what works best. In any situation I'd still put the 2 seats side by side to give you access to the 3rd row.

U

Unregistered

Tanya, thank you! Thats kind of what I was thinking too, but got a brain cramp considering the possibilities.

abacus2

I'm not sure where tether anchors are in an 08 Odyssey, but you'll want to choose locations with tether anchors for your forward facing children. Using the top tether is a significant safety improvement.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure where tether anchors are in an 08 Odyssey, but you'll want to choose locations with tether anchors for your forward facing children. Using the top tether is a significant safety improvement.

Yes, this. while we all want to put our tiniest, rearafcing infants right close to use in the second row, unfortunately, that is where most vehicles put their top tethers, and you REALLY want to use tethers for your forwardfacing kids.

The one thing you can do to SIGNIFICANTLY improve the safety of your passengers is to get that 2 year old turned back around rearfacing. There is nothing else you could do...heck, no other 10 things you could do, that would come close to the difference in safety between rear and forward facing. And with the 40-45 pound rearfacing seats now on the market, there are almost no 2 year olds that won't fit into a rearfacing seat. In fact, there;s a good chance the 3 yo can rearface as well!!

I would probably keep the infant in the bucket in the second row, and well as the FFing 3.4 year old. (that way the FFing seat has a top tether,) and then put the 1 and 2 yo's rearfacing in the back row, and you can buckle from the trunk area.

brightredmtn

When I was at the dealership buying my new CRV yesterday I checked out an 09 Odyssey and there were definitely tether anchors in the two outboard 3rd row positions and I'm pretty sure there was one in the center of the 3rd row too. So it shouldn't be a problem to have the FFers in the 3rd row assuming an 08 is the same as an 09.

mommygeo24

My friend has a 2006 Odyssey and it has tethers in both outer 3rd row positions as well, so it's nothing new, but I sure wish some other auto makers would follow and do the same. my 2008 Chrysler T&C only has one in the 3rd row and it spans two seat belt positions. It is so weird.

mama2three

The 05 Odyssey only has it in 3 positions (my only complaint and something I never thought about when we bought it). They fixed that in 06 I believe and now they are in all 5 positions (I'm not sure about the 8th seat - I'm only familiar with 7 seaters).

stephpook

My '07 Odyssey has top tether anchors in all 5 rear seating positions (2 captains chairs and 3 in the third row). I would hope that newer models would be the same.

Maedze

The location of tether anchors is not a concern in the Odyssey. With the exception of the jump seat, all five seating positions have top tether anchors :), so if she puts the SafeSeat in the jump seat, any forward facing child can go anywhere in the car :)

OP, how much does your two year old weigh? I realize you weren't asking about this, but I do strongly recommend keeping your two year old rear facing at least another year or so.

It is advised to keep children in rear facing convertibles until at least the fourth birthday :)

Last edited:

brightredmtn

The location of tether anchors is not a concern in the Odyssey. With the exception of the jump seat, all five rear facing seating positions have top tether anchors :), so if she puts the SafeSeat in the jump seat, any forward facing child can go anywhere in the car :)

Question. In the Odyssey I was looking at there was a thick white anchor on the floor under the second row. I deduced that it was there so if the car had two captain's chairs rather than a second row bench for the captain's chair to be secured to the car. I figured this out because the bench was installed to the same anchor just a few inches to the right. Anyway, it was like this was made to be a RF tether anchor. Could you just hook the tether connector to this anchor (Britax and Radian only of course)? No d-ring required?

Maedze

Question. In the Odyssey I was looking at there was a thick white anchor on the floor under the second row. I deduced that it was there so if the car had two captain's chairs rather than a second row bench for the captain's chair to be secured to the car. I figured this out because the bench was installed to the same anchor just a few inches to the right. Anyway, it was like this was made to be a RF tether anchor. Could you just hook the tether connector to this anchor (Britax and Radian only of course)? No d-ring required?

Since rear facing tethers aren't standardized, and since this is obviously secured to the frame of the car, I don't see why not :twocents:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Since rear facing tethers aren't standardized, and since this is obviously secured to the frame of the car, I don't see why not :twocents:

While I would lean toward "it would be fine", Britax and Sunshine Kids do say that if you don't have designated tether anchors available to tether RFing to, you should use the d-ring to create one. They don't address it being okay to tether directly to the car but to a non-tether-anchor spot.

karlatta

I don't know about the Odyssey, but I know that in the Sienna, those seat hook things on the floor are too thick for my tether to attach. So I just put the d-ring thing around it instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC