Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Carseat Placement on Plane

I am flying United Airlines in January to head back to the states.

Currently my DD has a window seat and I have a centre seat, and someone else has booked the asile seat

An asile and middle seat have just opened up and I wonder if I can switch??

We are in the row of 3, on our flight it goes 3,4,3 the new seat that has opened up is in the row of 4.

I can't seem to find any info on where the seat has to be placed. DD will be FFing on the flight as I got a better recline that way.

Summer 9.9.08 25.5lbs 35.75in FF Scenera - Ashton 7.1.10 19lbs 3oz 29.50in RF MA70

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member InternationalMama's Avatar

Re: Carseat Placement on Plane

The rule is that the car seat can't be blocking any passenger's exit to the aisle. So if the row only has one aisle then the car seat has to be placed next to the window. But if the row is one of the middle rows that has two exits to the aisle then the car seat can be placed in the middle seat, because all the passengers on either side still have an aise they can exit towards. Does that make sense?

So it really depends where the middle and aisle seats are that you want to switch to, but if sitting there would mean you would be blocking a passenger sitting by the window from having access to an exit then you can't use a car seat in those seats and the gate agents or flight attendants will re-assign you. The only exception I've seen is sometimes if families are traveling together with multiple car seats they are allowed to put the car seats next to each other in the same row with one in the window and one in the middle seat.

Hope that made sense! It would be easier to talk about with diagrams.
    International Mama
    Mom to Two - ERFing in a Graco My Ride 65 , Combi Coccoro, and Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL.

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Re: Carseat Placement on Plane

definately makes sense!!

SO what I have now arranged should be fine

the plane goes 3, 4, 3 we were window and centre on the 3 but now are are centre and asile on the 4. The 4 has 2 exits, so the person on the other side of my daughter can exit from the asile on the other side.

Summer 9.9.08 25.5lbs 35.75in FF Scenera - Ashton 7.1.10 19lbs 3oz 29.50in RF MA70