Would you push to RF or not?

fyrfightermomma

I've "converted" several people to RFing and never really had a problem. I'm not pushy, and it just seems to work. Usually though I've never seen them again.

I told my SIL about ERFing a few years ago. Her kids are tiny so she just kept them in their buckets until they outgrew them (about 18-20 months). Her last baby was born when my youngest was. I sent her some links. Never talked other than that. However, she kept her RFing :)

Both our kids will turn 3 soon. I'm SO amazed that she did it this long. That is unheard of around here. She's never questioned it, has just said "why change it, it works" and knows the safety benefits.

But I know she is getting to the point where she wants to turn her FFing. She's in the 2nd row and it's hard getting to the 3rd row to buckle the other kid when it's RFing. She has back problems so I'm sure that has alot to do with it.

However, my niece is SO tiny. At almost 3 she is about 23 pounds and 34 inches or so. All her kids are tiny like that. She still fits in the original Triumph RFing with plenty of room to grow.

So I know she wants to turn her probably around 3 (i think that's the age I gave in the links I sent her long ago)

I'm not even sure I will attempt to ask her to go longer. She's done great so far. And I know age is very important. In fact, I turned my 24 pounds 4 year old FFing cause I felt age was more important than size. But this kid is sooooo tiny. My 4 year old was also a normal height at 40" so she looked bigger. This baby is no bigger than a 1 year old.

Would you push it? Or just say good job and move on?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
At 3, I would say good job, and move on. BUT, I would probably throw in that it is still safer to rear face.

Freedom_Pixie

If she is no bigger then a one year old, I would push to stay RFing for at least another year. Maybe you can give her other information about ERFing involving weight and height of the child (you know?). Hope this helps.

NannyMom

Can you send links or info that say 4-6yrs? I'd do that. I wouldn't push her hard, but it's something I'd throw out there, so she knows.

Pixels

Skeletal development is age-based, not weight based. I'd say good job, mention that it's still safer, and move on.

monstah

Me? "Good job" and move on with probably no mention of it being safer. (She already knows that.)

ZephyrBlue

I'd say Good Job, and make sure that the child's FF seat is properly installed with top tether. She already knows that RF is safer, so I'd let it go and focus on the safest FF situation possible.

emthecountrycat

This baby is no bigger than a 1 year old.

Would you push it? Or just say good job and move on?

i would make sure she knows that at that size she is still alot safer and that the bones in the neck don't ossify till 4-6 (i believe???).

i will keep aiden RF that long, i i could do till 6 with him still riding in it i would!

Aiden Robert 9/16/08 21 ponds 29 inches ERF in SR35

Freedom_Pixie

Sorry I missed a section in reading your post. I would say Good job and move on, she already knows that RFing is the safest option and she has done great so far.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
At 3, I would say good job, and move on. BUT, I would probably throw in that it is still safer to rear face.

Ditto. Three is great! I'd mention that it's still quite a bit safer to be rear facing, but if she chose to turn her I probably wouldn't say anything about it.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree with others. She knows the benefits, you have told her. She has kept her little one rf this long so I'd let it go. You did an awesome job helping her keep her rf this long! And wow, that's a tiny 3 year old!

urchin_grey

My 4.5yo is just a bit bigger at 25lbs, and he is still RF'ing. :whistle: But I wouldn't be too pushy about a 3yo FF'ing. That's way more than most people do...

Kat_Momof3

I'd wait and see... if she asks for more info, give her more info... if she flips them forward, let her be (she's done amazing as it is and age is more important than size as long as the seat is tested for that size, which of course it is)

that's what I'd do... don't hesitate to give her more info if she wants it...

Now, if you notice the arrangement is causing troubles (the seat arrangement, I would offer suggestions of how to arrange people so that it isn't as hard to get everyone buckled without killing her back.

It might be easier for her to load the 3yr old (because she is so small) or have the 3yr old get in and load herself first and then buckle her if the seat is in the 3rd row... then she'd be more easily able to access everyone else because she's not climbing over a rearfacing seat.

I don't know how many other kids, what ages, or what seats they are in and what she has to work with, but that'd be my first instinct.

fyrfightermomma

I agree with others. She knows the benefits, you have told her. She has kept her little one rf this long so I'd let it go. You did an awesome job helping her keep her rf this long! And wow, that's a tiny 3 year old!

Yeah both her 5 and 6 year old still fit in the CS :whistle: I posted pics a long time ago I think

They are tiny. My teeny tiny FTT 4 year old is bigger than her 6 year old. They have some genetic thing where they grow slowly. 6 (almost 7) year old is about 39" and 35 pounds. 5 (almost 6) year old is about the size of my two year old so maybe 37" and 32 lbs.

fyrfightermomma

Thanks guys! I know she will ask me to help turn the seat forward facing when the time comes (I always help with their seats) and I'll probably just mention she has time left if she wanted to RF (and it helps my kid the same age will still be RFing). If not, I'll help get her situated forward facing. It's still two years longer than most people and I'm so amazed. All I sent her was like two videos a couple year ago and that was it.

Both her older kids are harnessed too. No one told her to. She has no car seat experience or knowledge really. Just knows they are little and well the seat says 40 lbs so they are staying until 40 lbs (older Generations 40). Not many are willing to do that.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
If MY SIL mentioned she wanted to turn her 3 year old FFing, I would do it with absolutely no second thought. My DD2 is teeny tiny and will probably be around 24-25 pounds at 3, and I'm considering turning her at 3.

I'm not sure why her FF'ing her tiny 3 year old would be any different than you FF'ing your tiny 3 year old :confused:

fyrfightermomma

If MY SIL mentioned she wanted to turn her 3 year old FFing, I would do it with absolutely no second thought. My DD2 is teeny tiny and will probably be around 24-25 pounds at 3, and I'm considering turning her at 3.

I'm not sure why her FF'ing her tiny 3 year old would be any different than you FF'ing your tiny 3 year old :confused:

Mine was over 4. And much bigger. While weight wise they were the same(both would have been around 23 lbs), mine was just structurally bigger and about 6-7" bigger. She "looked" like a 4 year old, just scrawny. Hers looks like a 14-15 month old. Maybe not even 34". I guess cause she seems so tiny. Mine had already started outgrowing her MA by height and i didnt want to buy another seat to RF in. I wanted a combo seat I could use down the line. This kid isnt even close to the same size. Same weight yes, but not same size. Shes just proportioned like a baby which mine wasnt (bigger head, shorter neck etc)

So I dunno, I guess to me, she seems like a "baby" where as mine seemed like a 4 year old. Just a really really scrawny one, KWIM?

Had my DD been that size, without a doubt I would have kept her RFing, but at 41" and crazy long legs and over 4 years old I didn't. Had she been the size of a 1 year old, with tiny short legs, and barely 3, I would have.

So who knows if it's really any different between our kids and what we did. It may have been the same since they were the same weight. I have no clue. I just know she "seems" so much tinier, and I can't imagine her forward facing. So I was wondering what I should tell her is all or if I should tell her anything, or even if it mattered being that small. I never had any one close to me that I had this come up with, so I wasn't quite sure what the right response to her would be when she asks if she should turn forward facing or not.

Heres a pic I found this summer of all of them to see what I'm talking about, how mine just looks so much bigger even though at that point they were about the same weight. The little girl in question is the one smack dab in the middle eating watermelon. Mine is on the right looking away in a blue shirt. Same weight, but about 6-7" taller and just more "big kid" proportioned. The one on the far left (face not blocked) is my other child who was born within a week of this one. She isn't big by any means, and you can see how much bigger she looks though. Mine was probably 28 lbs and 36" then. My neice, at almost 3 she still wears 18 months clothes and like size 3-4 shoes. She's just so itty bitty I have a hard time thinking of her as 3 :)
100_2535-1.jpg

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Gotcha. I was confused because I remember you FF'ing her in the Signo at right around her 3rd birthday.

Either way, no I wouldn't push it but it's worth a mention. She made it 2 years longer than most kids! My neice is RF'ing at 28 months and anytime now that mom wants to FF her I'd be ok with it (but she's planning on RF to the limit of her MA!!).

I was considering getting a RYS for DD2 for her 3rd birthday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC