Help me choose a seat for almost 4 yo dd

todzwife

Right now she's in a FF Marathon that puzzles beautifully with the Radian her brother is in. I'd like something with a little more SIP since she's pretty close to the door (doesn't touch the door though). She sleeps wonderfully in the marathon, the times she's tried the Radian, she had really bad head slump because it sits pretty upright.

I'm wondering if the only option I have that will fit is another Radian XT, or is there another seat that puzzles w/ the Radian that I haven't thought of. It's a VERY tight squeeze back there as it is so I need it to puzzle. I'm tempted just to go w/ another Radian, but I'm weary because of the head slump. She sleeps in the car a lot. We travel a LOT. I was hoping to get a new (bigger) car when the baby comes in May, but it's really not in the budget right now.
Yes, the HUGS are on there now, although they weren't in the picture
IMG_2228.jpg

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
What are the heigjts, weights, ages of the other kids? When is the babe getting a convertible instead of the infant seat?

todzwife

baby isn't here yet.
DS is center right now. He's 6. 43 pounds about 46 inches.
DD is in the Marathon. 31 pounds 37 inches.

todzwife

I could go with a wider seat than the Radian IF it puzzles/overlaps the Radian. Of course, that doesn't free up any room, but if it's a safer seat than a 4 year old Marathon, I'm willing to try it.

NannyMom

The My Ride puzzles well with the Radian, because it sits up so high like the Marathon. It has nice deep sides for side impact protection. And it installs a bit reclined, even when FF.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Have you tried putting your ds outboard and your dd center in their current seats?

todzwife

Have you tried putting your ds outboard and your dd center in their current seats?

yes, but the Scenera that is there right now for the 13 month old I watch in the afternoon doesn't fit next to the Marathon. I didn't try my friends keyfit next to the Marathon though since that's not the seat I can use for the 13 month old.

I'm really curious about the myride. DD would LOVE the cupholders LOL!

NannyMom

I sw your other thread. The My Ride won't help free up any room. With the cup holders, it's wider than the Marathon. It would over hand the Radian even more, and the cup holders would likely be right at the door. Can you go to BRU and try one?

todzwife

I sw your other thread. The My Ride won't help free up any room. With the cup holders, it's wider than the Marathon. It would over hand the Radian even more, and the cup holders would likely be right at the door. Can you go to BRU and try one?

BRU is 3 hours away. I do have a Target that I think carries them though. I'd get the Radian no question if she didn't have head slump. That's the only thing keeping me from buying it right now!\

OR should I get a coccoro? I'm going to need one once the newbie outgrows the keyfit, and by then DS will probably be out of the Radian. I could get a coccoro, put DD in it (31 pounds 37 inches) and then put her in her brothers Radian when she outgrows the coccoro

ZephyrBlue

Personally, I'd get the almost 4yo out of the MA. I know several people here stopped using their MAs FF after seeing the FMVSS compliance test results- all of the Britax convertibles did poorly FF with the 3yo dummy. Just my :twocents:, though.

todzwife

Personally, I'd get the almost 4yo out of the MA. I know several people here stopped using their MAs FF after seeing the FMVSS compliance test results- all of the Britax convertibles did poorly FF with the 3yo dummy. Just my :twocents:, though.

This is exactly my reason. :eek:

ZephyrBlue

todzwife, if you guys were near abq, i'd tell you to come over and play w/my new coccoro (and you could install 2 radians next to one another just to see) ;)

todzwife

todzwife, if you guys were near abq, i'd tell you to come over and play w/my new coccoro (and you could install 2 radians next to one another just to see) ;)

Sad. I'm about 3 hours away. I'd LOOOOOVE to though. I hate hate hate not having somewhere local to try anything. I have to cross my fingers and pray.:(

Kat_Momof3

BRU is 3 hours away. I do have a Target that I think carries them though. I'd get the Radian no question if she didn't have head slump. That's the only thing keeping me from buying it right now!\

OR should I get a coccoro? I'm going to need one once the newbie outgrows the keyfit, and by then DS will probably be out of the Radian. I could get a coccoro, put DD in it (31 pounds 37 inches) and then put her in her brothers Radian when she outgrows the coccoro

As much as I love the coccoro (and I REALLY do... I swear, between it and now the combi shuttle 33... it's all I can do not to beg DH for a baby just to put in seats)... I have to think long term... and another Radian will buy you more time long term.

You can pass the Marathon down to the new baby... and have Radian, Marathon, Radian (which works really well, whether the MA is rearfacing OR forward facing)

Now if you still want a coccoro, that's fine, but I'd advise putting it in with two Radians... maximize that room.

Even with a head slumping child, the Radian has a pretty good natural recline... you just have to extend the bottom of the seat (which I can explain in more detail if needed) and also install it the same way we recommend increasing recline on the ff Marathon - you walk the bottom portion forward of the bight a bit before you let the back of the Radian rest against the vehicle seat back.

Ruthie is a big head flopper and she's always been comfy in the Radian... the narrow sides help... even though she was miserable in a Regent.

todzwife

As much as I love the coccoro (and I REALLY do... I swear, between it and now the combi shuttle 33... it's all I can do not to beg DH for a baby just to put in seats)... I have to think long term... and another Radian will buy you more time long term.

You can pass the Marathon down to the new baby... and have Radian, Marathon, Radian (which works really well, whether the MA is rearfacing OR forward facing)

Now if you still want a coccoro, that's fine, but I'd advise putting it in with two Radians... maximize that room.

Even with a head slumping child, the Radian has a pretty good natural recline... you just have to extend the bottom of the seat (which I can explain in more detail if needed) and also install it the same way we recommend increasing recline on the ff Marathon - you walk the bottom portion forward of the bight a bit before you let the back of the Radian rest against the vehicle seat back.

Ruthie is a big head flopper and she's always been comfy in the Radian... the narrow sides help... even though she was miserable in a Regent.

Thank you SO much. Really. This is exactly what I needed to hear. My head has been pounding all day trying to figure out a safer solution for DD. I feel terrible that she's been in a less-safe seat than is available, YK? I wish I could just get a new car, but it's really not in the budget for another year or so.
So, it looks like a new Flora will be on its way soon. I need her safe.
And I did move the RN outboard and was able to get a better recline (exactly as you said, to move the base out from the bight of the seat) than in the center, and I do think that will help, AND because it's lower, she can climb in herself, which is important because I'm on lifting restriction and I REALLY shouldn't be picking her up to put her in the tall marathon.

todzwife

Well poo. No one has the flora in stock.

So what to do in the mean time? Keep her in the Marathon? Put her in the CarGO?

3plus2isme

I agree with the PP about getting another radian... that'd def be your best bet with a 4 year old. After I put the recline down DS never gets head slump!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If you are worried about head slump in a Radian, why not rear face her in it? No head slump that way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC