Question "Pigtail" routing issue with 3-in-1 Convertible seat

U

Unregistered

I'm having an issue with the pigtail when trying to install an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 convertible car seat using LATCH (aka UAS). Any ideas: If you leave the pigtail connected to the seat back (screwed in), where should it be routed? I called Dorel's customer service three times today and got three entirely different answers. From what I can gather online, the pigtail should be routed out the side of the convertible car seat (through the front facing belt path) and back in through the rear facing path with the LATCH belt. But, when I try to do that, the pigtail is so short that there is no way to tighten the UAS/LATCH belt (regardless of whether I feed the adjuster side of the strap through the left or right side of the RF belt path). I don't feel comfortable cutting it or unscrewing it, since I hate to alter how the seat was meant to be. Could I just route the pigtail under the seat pad, and to the right of the crotch buckle? The seat seems to work well this way, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't a safety issue in doing it this way. Thanks!!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm having an issue with the pigtail when trying to install an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 convertible car seat using LATCH (aka UAS). Any ideas: If you leave the pigtail connected to the seat back (screwed in), where should it be routed? I called Dorel's customer service three times today and got three entirely different answers. From what I can gather online, the pigtail should be routed out the side of the convertible car seat (through the front facing belt path) and back in through the rear facing path with the LATCH belt. But, when I try to do that, the pigtail is so short that there is no way to tighten the UAS/LATCH belt (regardless of whether I feed the adjuster side of the strap through the left or right side of the RF belt path). I don't feel comfortable cutting it or unscrewing it, since I hate to alter how the seat was meant to be. Could I just route the pigtail under the seat pad, and to the right of the crotch buckle? The seat seems to work well this way, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't a safety issue in doing it this way. Thanks!!

Yes, this is fine. All the pigtail is doing is fulfilling the requirement that the UAS belt come attached to the seat. Functionally - from a crash perspective, it has absolutely no purpose.

Recent models have had a change in the location that the pigtail strap is anchored, so that may have been part of the reason for the confusion. If your's is anchored in the back of the shell, then you start by placing the UAS belt in the ff'ing belt path, then basically end up with one hand in the ff'ing belt path and one hand under the cover from the front of the seat to pull the entire UAS belt up towards the front of the shell and between the crotch straps. Once pulled forward, then you route the UAS belt so that it is through the rf'ing belt path and in the right position relative to the crotch strap. (This position varies depending on which model you have.)

If you pull the cover up on the front of the seat you'll find it much easier to do.

If you have the pigtail attached on the side of the shell, then you don't have to start with it in the ff'ing belt path, instead just make sure you end up with the right end of the belt closest to where the pigtail strap is - usually the longer side with the tail gets routed to the opposite side of the rf'ing beltpath. Again, lifting up the cover will make this easier.

HTH, and feel free to post back if you have other questions. I'd recommend removing the base as it almost always makes the seat easier to install. You'll probably want to have a rolled towel or some pool noodles handy to assist in getting the angle as well. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

Thanks Trudy! That was really helpful. One last question though: On my seat, the pigtail is screwed into the back of the seat (up under the headrest or maybe just below it). Why do I need to start with the UAS belt in FF position? I noticed that the seat instructions said that too, but I didn't do that. I just routed it through the RFing path, and there are no twists or anything, so it should be fine, right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC