Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Need help with 06 Kia Sedona

Need some advice with what would be the best spots for my three in our new van. I have a 7 yo, 51 lbs. in a Graco TurboBooster; a 4 yo old, 39 lbs. in a Britax Marathon; and a newborn in a Graco SafeSeat. Van has bench seat in the back and two captains chairs.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Need help with 06 Kia Sedona

On your back bench, where are the tether anchor and LATCH locations?

I would probably put the baby and either the 3 yr old or 7 yr old in the captain's chairs, depending on what is easier for you.

IIRC the center position in the back has a really narrow seatbelt. Will the MA or the TB fit in the back center?

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

ITA with Joy. It would depend on tether anchor location and who you would prefer being in the middle row with baby.

The bench seat has a middle shoulderbelt, right? I'd put the 7yo there if s/he'll be in the third row.

There are pros and cons to putting the 7yo and the 3yo in back. If the 7yo is next to baby in the middle s/he could "help out" a little by keeping an eye on baby. But then having the 3yo in back means climbing to the back to buckle him/her up. The 7yo might be able to buckle him/herself in the rear without trouble, so I think if it were ME I'd put the 7yo in back and 3yo and newborn in the middle.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

The tethers and latch are on the two sides in the bench seat. There are shoulder belts for the middle back, but the seatbelt spot is very narrow.

if i put 4 yr old on right rear, 7 yr old behind driver in captain chair and newborn behind passenger in captain chair - does that seem safe?

neither 4 or 7 yr old is very self sufficient so I will have to climb in back regardless at this point.

thanks for your help.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Yes, that's safe. Having all of them properly restrained is the safest thing you can do. Positioning in the vehicle is mostly about convenience and achieving a good fit with a particular carseat in a particular seating position. Generally we say put the least protected child (boostered or seatbelt child) in the most protected seating position (the middle), which is why I said to put the 7yo in the rear middle if possible. If not, that's okay.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche