Still ok to use this seat?

zactayaus

So I took the advice of joolsplus3 and mommy-medic in a thread I started yesterday about whether or not Gavin would have another month or two in his SS1. They suggested I take out the head insert and take off his hat for a more accurate view of how much room he has left and :eek:. Is it still ok for him to use this seat?

Here are the pics (I also pulled down the cover so you can see the shell of the seat):

7monthsSS1005.jpg

7monthsSS1002.jpg

7monthsSS1006.jpg

7monthsSS1014.jpg

This one cause it's cute:
7monthsSS1009.jpg

Cover back on:

7monthsSS1015.jpg

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
He is cute. :) That's for sure.

He's right smack on the 1" mark. The rule is that as long as they have an inch or more. So he's fine for now, but I'd be on the hunt for a new seat, big time. One lick of torso growth and he's done. If you have another seat I'd move him. If you don't I'd get one. It may be just a few days or a couple of weeks.

Wendy

Maedze

I'd need an actual side view to be sure, but he does look close, doesn't he?

And, uh, WOW, your 8 month old has a taller torso than many two year olds :eek:

Maedze

Oh, that looks a little less dire. He looks like he has about 3/4" of torso growth until he's at the 1" mark.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
ROFL! Ok, that was NOT quite what I was expecting would happen!!! He was supposed to have MORE room :p

zactayaus

ROFL! Ok, that was NOT quite what I was expecting would happen!!! He was supposed to have MORE room :p

Yeah! I think the SS1 cover was way poofier than anyone could have suspected.:p Plus he was sleeping in the other pics so he must have scrunched down some.

xursusmaritimusx

wow he has a lot less room in those pics than before! crazy!

it looks to me like hes pretty much at the 1" mark too but its a lil hard to tell for sure.

and he does have a super long torso!!! my friends son was in a ss1 as well.
hes turning 1 on dec 24. he is currently 26lbs and 31" tall but he JUST outgrew the ss1 by height this week.

on the other hand my super short torso'd DD fit until 31 months by height! but outgrew by weight at 24 months :p

AllieCanada

Oh my goodness he's adorable! I can't believe he's so close to outgrowing the SS1 already. Could you imagine if you had got him one of the 22lb/29 inch infant seats?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I find that with the SS, the shell curves dramatically outward right at the 1 inch mark. If his head is below that curve of the shell (you can definitely feel where that is) you are fine.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Also, sometimes how you install it in the car is different than the angle it sits at when it's just sitting-- that may give you a smidge more room.

tiggercat

Gosh he is cute :love:

I think he is ok in it, but I'd be looking for a new seat. I have a feeling Sam is going to outgrow his SR32 before a year too, he is well above the 2nd slots at not quite 4m.

Mama Jo

To me, even from the first set of pics (the 4th from the top in particular) and then especially from the later pic, it looks like he has about 2 inches... so an inch of growth till he hits the 1" mark. Elias fits in his about the same. And, uh, he's 16 months old. :p

zactayaus

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I was really hopeing (ok, why doesn't that word look right?) he would make it to March in it so we could make it through the coldest part of the Winter (yes, I still carry all 20+ lbs of him in and out of the truck in that seat:eek:). Doesn't look like we'll make it quite that far though.

I do have a brand new MA in Crimson waiting to be installed in DH's truck and I just got a brand new Hannah MA which is awaiting a make over :p (just bought a black harness set and seamonkey's fido cover). I also have a comfort sport that will expire in a year hanging out in the closet for a backup.

abigaylebelle

On my ss1 it measured 1" just below where the foam part starts to go out. So maybe he has more than 1" but not much. Btw he is so incredibly cute! It must be hard to ever set him down he looks so cuddly.

cpsaddict

:eek:Holy torso batman! Kenzie is not even close to the top and she's 90% for height. I think she has maybe 4ish inches above her head. I thought she was on the top slot, but once installed, she's not. Goodness, he is sure cute!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC