Which seat for the truck?

pastrygirl

1996 GMC Sierra, no back seat. My 3-year-old rides in it maybe twice a month. Right now, there's a FF MA, but we'll need that MA for my younger son soon (he's 3 months old, 17+ pounds, and he doesn't like the Keyfit -- my older son became a happy camper once I switched him to a convertible).

Would you choose a FF RNXT or a Frontier/Nautilus? He's in the RNXT RF in my car right now, but he might outgrow RF by weight in a few months. I could move the seat to the truck and get him a Frontier/Nautilus for my car.

Or leave the MA in the truck, leave the RNXT for him in my car and use it FF for him when he passes the RF weight limit, and get the baby a different convertible?

Our MAs expire in early 2012.

ETA: We had top tethers retrofitted for both passenger seating positions, but can't install in the center without it bugging the driver. So, outboard only, with top tether.

Last edited:
ADS

Maedze

I'd go with the Nautilus. In the recent compliance tests, the Nautilus actually did better than the Radians sans top tether.

skipspin

I'd go with the Nautilus. In the recent compliance tests, the Nautilus actually did better than the Radians sans top tether.

Would you ever need to put the baby RFing in the truck? (Assuming no passenger airbag.) If so then the Radian would be a better choice since they could both use it.

Otherwise I'd agree with the Nautilus- no matter which vehicle you end up using it in.:thumbsup:

Pixels

I would buy a Frontier or Nautilus. Either Nautilus in the truck for low head excursion numbers (I assume no tethers), or either combo seat in your car and Radian in the truck for the same reason. If I'm remembering right, you said the Frontier gave him no leg room in your car, so I'm leaning toward keeping the Radian in your car and getting a Nautilus.

You already have 4? convertibles. You don't need more convertibles. By the time your Marathons expire, the baby will be 2.5, closing in on 3 years old. He may be close to the weight limit on the MAs by then anyway, depending on how he grows. At that point, pass the Radian down if you want to keep rear facing, getting your older son another combo seat, and another convertible for the baby for the second/third vehicle if you want to keep him rear facing in those as well.

pastrygirl

You already have 4? convertibles. You don't need more convertibles.
Oops, right -- I do have 4. I forgot about the Scenera. That's what Toby used in the truck until I got the RNXT (as a mother's day gift). He's outgrown the Scenera by height, though. I don't really plan to use the Scenera for Caleb, except in a pinch.

I haven't tried the Frontier in my new car. I bought the RNXT for more FF leg room in my old car.

Last night I dreamt that my husband put 3-month-old Caleb in the front seat of his car, FF in the Radian, because he didn't want to uninstall the Keyfit base in the back seat. I couldn't even RF the Radian at that point because we didn't have the RF boot with us. I was furious! And mildly amused at the amount of detail in my dream. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC