So...who has used a car seat to its expiration?

Raegansmom4

Since I know how we all love carseats... Anyone use a carseat all the way to its expiration? I'm sure some have, but it seems like we all get the "itch" to get new seats fairly frequently. ETA: Since my oldest just turned 4, I haven't had a seat reach it's end yet. If you have used it all the way to its death, which carseat was it?

ADS

Shaunam

Not so far, but I think we probably will with the regent. I'm keeping DS harnessed as long as possible in grandma's car since she can't handle buckling a booster. :rolleyes: I'm hoping by the time he outgrows it (or it expires, which will probably come first since he's slowed WAY down in the torso growth), he can buckle himself correctly every time.

kidrepair

I have a 10 yr. old so I have used a few..my 1st was an Evenflo Medallion..I actually used it a few years past expiration before I knew better...2nd was a Graco Cargo..when I bought it i thought it was great because it had a front adjust and most of the cheaper models had rear adjust..3rd was a Graco Turbobooster...it was blue with stars...We will have 2 MA's expire in less than 2 years and I expect we will use them until then..and 2 PW's around the same time..that will leave us with a RN and a GN and a couple of backless Graco's.

ginny4

i've used seats til they were outgrown which has happened before they are expired. the infant seat was used for 3 kids til expired, the AOEs were used til they outgrew them, the turbos were used til outgrown for my sons but now my DD will use til expired. the Apex will be used til expired.

Pixels

Well if you are asking about using until its death, I crashed a seat. (Actually it was the lady behind me who didn't use her brake pedal, she used my car. But I digress.)

The DOM/Serial sticker on my infant bucket was placed in the stupidest spot. On the bottom of the seat, right where it curves from the bottom to the back, and centered. So, right where the harness adjuster strap rubs it every time. It was long gone before I realized there was a problem. It was bought in Oct/Nov 2006, so I'm ballparking a Jan 2006 DOM, and comfortably using it until the end of 2011. If we have an infant in 2012 or 2013, maybe I'll actually get around to contacting the manufacturer and finding out if they can look up the info for me. In the meantime, if there's a recall on that brand, I won't have a choice but to not use the seat just in case it is recalled.

steph_s

My seats almost all get used to their expiration, just not typically all by me. I had a graco infant seat that I used to expiration just not consistently in use. My friend has 2 of my old convertible seats and they will need replaced March and June of next year with new seats. Those 2 seats have been in almost constant use their entire 6 years!! My Scenera will stay until it expires as will my Regent and Pkwy booster.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I have with older DD. I used her combination Century NextStep DX as both a harnessed seat and booster until it expired. LOVED that seat! I also used a Graco My CarGo high back booster until it expired, HATED that seat.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I have a 10 yr. old so I have used a few..my 1st was an Evenflo Medallion..I actually used it a few years past expiration before I knew better...2nd was a Graco Cargo..when I bought it i thought it was great because it had a front adjust and most of the cheaper models had rear adjust..3rd was a Graco Turbobooster...it was blue with stars...We will have 2 MA's expire in less than 2 years and I expect we will use them until then..and 2 PW's around the same time..that will leave us with a RN and a GN and a couple of backless Graco's.

I had to laugh at this one - I have an 11 year old, and the first seat
I used to (and about a year past) was an Evenflo Medallion, then a Graco Cargo, and the third was a backless TB:D.

I have a RA that expires in about 6 mo and a BLVD that expires in 2 years, that I expect to use until then.

ETA: I also had a Evenflo bucket (blue with stars, man I loved that thing) The we had for its entire life too.

rodentranger

I used a MA that was my cousin's for the last two years of it's life. They moved her to a booster at 4 and 40 :( and gave me the MA she had been in. I used it until the day it expired as a backup seat.
But I haven't used one from date of purchase new to the expiration.

NVMBR02

I used an evenflo triumph 5 until it expired. The last 3 years or so it was only used as a backup seat.

I also have an evenflo chase that has a year left. We also don't use that as our primary seat anymore, but I have used it a couple of times recently.

My graco snugride had about 2 years left when I gave it to a friend to use for her baby. She used it for 2 kids then destroyed it when it expired.

all together ooky

Our Marathon will expire in August. I don't plan to get rid of it before then. And it is in use (just not as our primary seat). It was brand spanking new when we got it (like a week old).

Chex

I've used a Graco Snugride, Evenflo Triumph 5, and Evenflo Chase until they expired. Not all of them were used the entire 6 years (I obviously didn't have an infant for 6 years straight to use the SR), but they were used most of their 6 years each.

TheQueenMother

I totalled my Yukon with a marathon that was 6 DAYS from expiring installed and in use. Final point of impact was the door beside that seat. I would have used it until the end. DD was Ffing and weighed more than 40lbs. She did not have a mark.

Joyofbirth

I've used several and will probably use my current ones till expiration. I'm lucky to have the seats I have though. We used a Graco Snugride until it expired. We used a RA until it expired. And a MA until it was expired. Actually, a month past.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I used my Roundabout to expiration. I'll probably keep my Radians to their expiration just because they are so great for 3-across situations.

emandbri

I used my first marathon until it expired. It was a primary seat for almost the whole time I had it, only at the end did I start using my other two marathons instead of that one because of the rip stitch tether and two click buckle.

mum2two

I used DD's Marathons from about age 6 months to this month and she's 6 1/2....they expired this month.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC