Today's Parent Car Seat Article

I guess its all in how you read it. It is saying "keep your baby RFg" which I might optimistically read as "stay RFg". Its a whole lot better than prior articles which were generally, woohoo, baby has outgrown the infant bucket, time to get him into a low back booster (ok, kidding on that, but you get my point).

I've never seen the RN anywhere except at baby speciality stores. I have not seen the MR at Walmart (looked last week here in the Lower Mainland). All I saw at our SuperWalmart last week was Scenaras and 3-in-1's -- and of course boosters. I didn't even see a CrappoSport.

I don't really consider TRU/BRU widely accessible for most Canadians.

I understand that your local Wal Mart doesn't carry the MyRide but FYI we have them here in FL well- Orlando in our Wal Mart stores... I wonder why they would sell it in some and not others? it's weird. We've had a grey/black (I don't know the pattern name but it's dark) MyRide there for months...at least 6 months. I have seen it in the two Kissimmee stores but I think one store I was in on the other side of town had a very bare seat department. I wonder if they have separate buyers for each store? :confused:

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I understand that your local Wal Mart doesn't carry the MyRide but FYI we have them here in FL well- Orlando in our Wal Mart stores... I wonder why they would sell it in some and not others? it's weird. We've had a grey/black (I don't know the pattern name but it's dark) MyRide there for months...at least 6 months. I have seen it in the two Kissimmee stores but I think one store I was in on the other side of town had a very bare seat department. I wonder if they have separate buyers for each store? :confused:
Because we are in Canada and the My Ride just arrived in Canada a month ago starting with TRU/BRU. It is now just starting to arrive at Wal-Mart in Canada (I think it just started arriving this week) so not all Wal-Marts have it at this point.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I read that article on TP yesterday and was disappointed. I really like the author Teresa Pitman and I especially enjoy her articles about childbirth and breastfeeding. But I don't really understand why she is writing about car seat safety. It just seems an odd topic for her to be writing about.

A big thumbs down for me on that one!:thumbsdown:

Calleiah

I got an email from the Editor regarding my letter to them about the article!
Here's what she had to say:
Dear Lauren:
Thanks for your comments on our car seat article in the January issue of Today’s Parent. You are not the only reader to complain that our coverage of the rear-facing option was less than satisfactory in this article. We plan to publish some of the letters in our March issue. To include yours, I need to know where you live (city or municipality). Please send me that info when you get a chance.

Meanwhile, thanks for taking the time to write; reader feedback helps us do our jobs better.

Best regards,
Caroline Connell
Editor, Today’s Parent

Did anyone else get an email back? Im surprised to hear from them, I figured it would get ignored as usual.

April

Calleiah! You're in the magazine! Page 20 of the March issue (not available in stores yet, but I have a subscription)

Re: Car Seat dilemmas:

"Unfortunately, your article reinforces many of the myths that keep parents from using extended rear-facing car seats, which are much safer for young children. There are many rear-facing car seats, released in the last two years, that are capable of handling most children to four years. These seats are not anymore expensive and do not take up any more room than their smaller, older counterparts. I applaud you for writing about car seat safety, but next time, make sure your opinions are based on fact, not myth.

Lauren xxxxxxx, Child Passenger Safety Technician, Dallas, Tex."

Woot! Good job (and rep for you as soon as I'm not posting on my Blackberry). Thanks for taking the time to write in. :thumbsup:

P.S. This is a Canadian magazine, so let me know if you want me to mail you my copy when I'm done reading so you can have a keepsake.

Calleiah

WOOT, I cant believe it. I wrote that email right after I read the article and it just kind of hacked me off so hopefully it doesnt come off too snarky. If I'd taken my time Im pretty sure I could have written them a new article. LOL

ETA: I'd LOVE to have a copy. I may even frame that sucker.

ETA2: I think they may have changed some of my wording, Ill have to go back and look.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC