DH is car shopping...ideas?

Marvin711

ETA: Honda Accord Crosstour 4WD/AWD?? Thoughts? Anyone driven one yet?
Ok, so I know this is like a lot of the other posts on here but I'd still like your feedback! :)

I have a 2009 Ody so we are not looking at minivans. His Altima lease is ending so he needs to pick something else...if we go with a car again we'd go with either the Altima or Accord on the $199 lease specials right now. So let's talk about option B...he is sort of leaning towards buying something bigger.

He does commute to work 18 days every 5 week period which is about 40 miles roundtrip. So gas mileage is sort of important, we considered buying a small older car just for him to use for work but the cost of ownership doesn't catch up with the benefits for a looong time so we decided it wasn't worth it... but keep that in mind.

We have 2 children, 5 y.o. in Frontier, 19 month old, MA, are considering trying for a 3rd soon! (BTW I am not opposed to buying new seats, so if these are too big I am sure I could find something else) Very large dog who occasionally travels with us. Live in the Midwest so snow and such sometimes causes a need for 4WD, plus our lifestyle includes spending time in outdoors/offroad. Travel quite a bit as both of our families are far away. So the second vehicle need sto be reliable and large enough that if for some reason we didn't want to take the van we could take his vehicle... also DH is 6'4 so leg room becomes an issue in small SUV's.

Some he has mentioned...
Sequoia (2007-2008)
Nissan Titan Crew Cab (2008)
Ford SuperCrew (New)
Toyota FJ7 (or something like that??)

We are really wide open at this point and just want some ideas and feedback from folks before we start our shopping trip! Most likely we will be buying a late model used vehicle...unless we stumble on a great deal on a new one!

Last edited:
ADS

Bahahahaha.

Sorry, can't help but laugh at his choices. Why doesn't he just throw in a Ferrari and Lamborghini while he's at it? He's soooo trying to take advantage of you here.

Other than the Toyota FJ (crap is a nice word for it), he has mentioned nice trucks/suvs. However, other than them being large, the do the exact opposite of what you guys say you're looking for.

Go with a Subaru Outback or something like that. Car based with AWD. Not these monster trucks with 4WD that get 2 mpg. If you guys want a SUV, try a Chevy Equinox, Toyota Highlander, or drop down to a Toyota Rav-4, Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, etc. 40 miles is a good bit tho. I'd just get another Altima/Accord to be honest if he's survived without AWD so far. The new Accord is quite large inside so a 3rd kid wouldn't be too bad. The big dog might be tough which is why I mentioned the Equinox or the Highlander. Or the Outback works great too.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
Or the Forester, if he is tall :) I am 5'11" and can hardly get my knees under the steering wheel in the outback, even the 2010. I have a 2009 forester and my 6'4" dh fits very well in there...

HTH,
Tracy

bubbaray

If you are thinking of a third child, and he really wants a truck, you probably want to look first at the domestic Crew Cabs, all of which nicely fit 3 across (you don't need the Super or Mega crews for the car seats).

DH wanted a truck and in June got a Toyota Tacoma crew cab. It is NOT the small Tacoma of years past -- it is quite large. However, 3 across is not likely possible -- maybe with 3 RNs, but I still think its unlikely. I did try out 3 across in the domestics he test drove and it was super easy.

I can tell you 3 across is not possible with the new Subaru Foresters nor the Rav4. It is possible in the new CR-Vs and Ford Escape. I've heard that 3 across is super easy in the Sequoia, but have not tried it. I don't know if the other Subarus can fit 3 across. It might be possible with the Tribeca.

I wouldn't even try getting car seats into the Toyota FJ. The rear doors aren't even full-sized.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
If you are thinking of a third child, and he really wants a truck, you probably want to look first at the domestic Crew Cabs, all of which nicely fit 3 across (you don't need the Super or Mega crews for the car seats).

toyota and honda trucks also have much better safety ratings though. i was not aware that the larger ones, such as the tundra, were significantly smaller than domestics of the same scale.

bubbaray

toyota and honda trucks also have much better safety ratings though. i was not aware that the larger ones, such as the tundra, were significantly smaller than domestics of the same scale.

Depends on your view of truck crash test ratings. I know its an unpopular view here, but I'll take a crash in any domestic 1-ton crew cab over a 5* Camry or Accord any day. JMHO.

The new Fords have decent crash test ratings.

The Tundra is bigger than the Tacoma, but it does not have the same tow ratings as the larger domestics. If OPs DH wants to tow with it, for example, he will be looking at 3/4 ton or 1ton domestics, likely diesels. If its just to "have a truck", the Tundra could go on his list, yeah. We weren't at all jazzed with it.

The Ridgeline isn't really a truck. Its a wannabe truck, but its not really a truck. Again, JMHO. For that matter, I don't really consider DH's Tacoma a "real" truck, but I really want me a Dodge 3500 Heavy Duty diesel crew cab, gun rack optional. :p

You mean really new domestic trucks.

Or do you want me to put up that Mini vs Ford F-150 crash test pic again? :p

And yeah, the Tacoma is cramped for 3 across. The Ridgeline is fine. It's a WIDE vehicle yet still easily fits in garages. And no, I wouldn't call it a real truck, but unless you tow, it works better as a family car than "real" trucks, which is why Honda made it in the first place. I've gone offroad with it. Works just fine. Has a locking diff and everything.

Still, other than a 4cyl Tacoma (which you don't want), they're not exactly the best for commuting. They're work/fun cars.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My husband used to have a Titan crew cab and you could fit any 3 seats across the back seat that you wanted...that thing is WIDE! He really loved the truck and it was nice for when we used it and hauled the kids. You can pick them up super cheap used but it sucks gas down like a mother with that big V8.

Have fun shopping!

Marvin711

Lost my reply! :(

We have only not had 4WD since June, I traded a Pathfinder for my Ody. Plus we recently moved out in a rural subarb of our city. First blizzard of the season this week and he got stranded at work - he is considered "essential" so doesn't get snow days - he actually ended up having to sleep there in a conference room! Not fun! So that started the whole... I might not want another car conversation... :) Which is fine with me, I would like to see him in the winter..LOL

A couple of you mentioned the Highlander and a friend of ours here did as well...is it really as roomy as folks say? I am talking mega gear when we travel...plus dog/kennel. What about RF'ing seats? I think most of the smaller SUV's - Escape, Rav-4, etc. aren't going to have enough legroom for him...we were SUPER cramped when we traveled in our Pathfinder mostly because of a RF'ing seat but that will be a reality in our life for several more years.

Yeah, thinking he might should add those sports car you mentioned in the first reply!! Camaro was on his original list! I took that one off... hehehe! Yellow of course like bumblebee... maybe we are embarking on an early midlife crisis!

We do love the Titans - my parents have owned 3 so we have put a lot of seats in there and always had good luck. Even enough room for an adult to sit between two seats which is nice.

Someone mentioned a crash video with an F150? Is it bad news?

What about the Pilots? So Ridgelines good or bad? The most we would tow is a four-wheeler or two on a trailer. What is real life MPG on these? He found a couple 2008's on the local Honda lot here with 20K-30K miles on them.

Even though we live out of town now, the truth is everything we do is still in town, shopping, church, work, etc.

Thanks for all your ideas, I'm adding to our "look at list" right now!

The current Highlander is a lot bigger than the original. Has 3 rows of seats if necessary, altho not much space behind that 3rd row.

Pilot/Ridgeline would be roomier. If all you tow is a 4 wheeler, should be ok. Just check the weights. Real life mpg is about 17 or 18 avg I would say. If you have more highways, 19-20 is pretty common. Ok mileage. I'd look into a Chevy Traverse too. I think a Ridgeline would be a better truck for you than others cuz of the trunk in the bed. You can store all the baby gear or groceries or whatever while still having a truck bed. I make Costco runs even with a stroller in the trunk. If you guys tailgate, there's a drain in the trunk too in case you wanna fill it with ice and beers.

I prolly wouldn't do one of the smaller SUVs. Not with 3 kids and a big dog.

The new Ford F-150 has good crash ratings. It's just that domestic fans have been crowing about how the Japanese don't make "real" trucks and that they're somehow weak and flimsy, unlike the tough American ones. Then, someone posted a pic of a crash tested Mini next to a F-150... Yup, built Ford tough.

0222_2_15.jpg
0110_2_34.jpg

canadiangie

That looks to be a 2000 or so F150? Maybe 2002? Is it fair to compare it to a newish Mini? Really? OP isn't looking to buy an older vehicle, IIRC. I wonder if a new F150 stacks up better to a Mini? I'd like to see pics of that. I'm sure it would be comparable.

If Honda could sharpen the look of the Ridgeline.. a la new Pilot, I'd get on board with it. But as it stands now, the Ridgeline leaves people thinking it's a wanna be truck. When Honda released it looking the way it does they should have known that 'truck driving' people would think it's a joke. FWIW, I've done a few installs in them and they're fine. Totally fine, and people who own them "love" them (very few people ever say they don't "love" what they spent $30+k on though ;)), but the look... it's just not there. And that IMO is why people don't take it seriously.

bubbaray

The new Ford F-150 has good crash ratings. It's just that domestic fans have been crowing about how the Japanese don't make "real" trucks and that they're somehow weak and flimsy, unlike the tough American ones. Then, someone posted a pic of a crash tested Mini next to a F-150... Yup, built Ford tough.

I actually never said that, not sure if codex was referring to my post or not. DH owns a Tacoma. *My* issues with foreign vs domestic trucks is more for their actual "working" ability. The foreign trucks simply can not carry the same payload, nor tow the same weight, as the domestics. If I'm gonna have a huge beast in my driveway, it had better have a freakin' USE, KWIM?

Yes, the new Fords have very good crash test ratings. For 2009, the GM's didn't and the Dodges were somewhere in between. This year, GM has improved. BUT, you're unlikely to crash into a static barrier -- you're likely to hit another vehicle. In any of the large domestic trucks, in particular the 3/4 and 1T heavy duty versions, they are so high if you hit another car, the truck will not hit the "cage" of the vehicle, but the window or roof area. I was at a red light recently and a Dodge 3500HD diesel was beside my Ody. The truck certainly looked "stock" to me (no lift kit) and the bumper was at the window level of my van. Had he t-boned my van, all the 5* ratings in the world wouldn't have helped prevent his bumper from decapitating me. JMHO.

I don't think your DH should rule out the Escape or even the CR-V in terms of leg room. Both are quite roomy, far more roomy than our former Pathfinder. I don't know what the tow weights for those are.

The Tacoma 6c can definitely tow what you want. We will be towing a lightweight RV with it this summer (IIRC, the tow weight is 4600lbs), the TRU sport version comes with a tow package. I don't know how you could do three across, though. If you tailgate, there is a 120V outlet in the Tacoma. I have no idea why, but its there.

The Nissans don't have very good crash test ratings nor reliability. Esthetically, I prefer them over the Toyotas, though.

Small truck crash test ratings: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=75

Large truck crash test ratings: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=70 -- note that for 2010, GM has leapfrogged up from the bottom to 3rd. And, you really can NOT put the Ridgeline in the same class as these other trucks. Interior room, yes. Payload and towing, NO. It should be in the small truck category IMO.

That looks to be a 2000 or so F150? Maybe 2002? Is it fair to compare it to a newish Mini? Really? OP isn't looking to buy an older vehicle, IIRC. I wonder if a new F150 stacks up better to a Mini? I'd like to see pics of that. I'm sure it would be comparable.

If Honda could sharpen the look of the Ridgeline.. a la new Pilot, I'd get on board with it. But as it stands now, the Ridgeline leaves people thinking it's a wanna be truck. When Honda released it looking the way it does they should have known that 'truck driving' people would think it's a joke. FWIW, I've done a few installs in them and they're fine. Totally fine, and people who own them "love" them (very few people ever say they don't "love" what they spent $30+k on though ;)), but the look... it's just not there. And that IMO is why people don't take it seriously.

Those pics are crash pics from the same year. It's entirely fair cuz the cars were the same model year.

However, as I noted before, Ford redesigned the F-150 and now it has quite good crash ratings. That pic is outdated now, but it's still fun to bring up whenever there's mention of how "tough" American cars are.

Generally, the Ridgeline is considered a wannabe truck, not for its looks (just be blunt, it got beat up bad by the ugly stick), but b/c it isn't a body on frame construction, but unibody like a car. B/c it's unibody, it can't tow as much. So, with it being unibody like a car and with relatively low towing numbers, it's considered a "wannabe" truck.

However, while those properties are useful for work trucks, most people who buy trucks don't need that stuff so the Ridgeline is better suited for them actually. After all, most SUVs are moving towards unibody construction as well.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
I don't think your DH should rule out the Escape or even the CR-V in terms of leg room. Both are quite roomy, far more roomy than our former Pathfinder. I don't know what the tow weights for those are.

as far as leg room you're right, but none of these would make for good traveling with 3 kids, big dog, dog cage, baby gear...

OP, if you want to review crash test ratings check out informedforlife.org
the domestics aren't great, and actually the tundra is now comparable to them. but the ridgeline does have really good ratings.

canadiangie

Those pics are crash pics from the same year. It's entirely fair cuz the cars were the same model year.

However, as I noted before, Ford redesigned the F-150 and now it has quite good crash ratings. That pic is outdated now, but it's still fun to bring up whenever there's mention of how "tough" American cars are.

Generally, the Ridgeline is considered a wannabe truck, not for its looks (just be blunt, it got beat up bad by the ugly stick), but b/c it isn't a body on frame construction, but unibody like a car. B/c it's unibody, it can't tow as much. So, with it being unibody like a car and with relatively low towing numbers, it's considered a "wannabe" truck.

However, while those properties are useful for work trucks, most people who buy trucks don't need that stuff so the Ridgeline is better suited for them actually. After all, most SUVs are moving towards unibody construction as well.

No, really, regardless of how it's built, most people think it's a joke because it's ugly as you put it. Most people don't know platform details.. they go on looks. They see ugly, and it's over. I'd bet the vast majority of people who don't like the Ridgeline respond "because it's ugly" when asked why. FTR, I don't hate the Ridgeline, it's a good start, but it's been out for a while now, it's time to update it, and quick. A few years of the current design is forgiveable, but to keep it going is crazy.

As for the Mini versus F150, IRL I'd still take the F150 if I was told I was going to be in a collision. Very few collisions involve a cement baricade, and at least in my neck of the woods there's a good chance I'd be dancing with an F350. Providing it was a full sized cab (not just an extended cab) I'd pick a truck to crash in. I can remember seeing a post collision pic of a Mini a few years ago, and it wasn't nearly as pretty as a crash test pic. I dunno...

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Sequoia (2007-2008)
Nissan Titan Crew Cab (2008)
Ford SuperCrew (New)
Toyota FJ7 (or something like that??)

Your going to suck up gas with any of these. The Nissan would get the best at around 18mpg, but the Ford would be a close second if you go with a diesel.

For towing, you are looking at

15,000lbs with a Ford F350 Diesel
10,000lbs with a smaller Ford and the Nissan
7,000lbs with the Sequoia
not sure about the FJ7 tow capacity other than it isn't even a contender for our small trailer

handling in snow:

I have to turn off the traction control to do donuts on the ice in my Nissan (and believe me, I was trying HARD to get it to slide with it on)
my parents rolled their Ford when the back end slid on ice without even trying
only Toyota I've driven in the snow is a Corolla. It slides, but I've driven worse

The Toyota's have a good rep for stability control

Car seats:

Shouldn't be an issue with any of these, but the Ford may only have a lap-only belt in the center seats, depending on the model.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC