Driving with a knife or scissors in case of fire/accident

Synchro246

My FIL recommended that I have a knife in the car just in case i needed to remove ds from the seat quickly.

What are your thoughts on this?

ADS

lovinwaves

hmmm a knife? There are way to many products on the market that will safely shatter glass and cut seatbelts to carry in your vehicle.

scatterbunny

Yeah--there are probably other, safer products to carry in the car that will do the same job.

I think even with a very sharp knife, cutting through harness webbing will be difficult.

cashleigh

Interesting. I actually purchased something from Macy's recently ...just before Xmas. It is a flashlight/seatbelt cutter.

I also have removed my daughter from her car seat in the pitch black with one hand...just to ensure that I could do it if I ever needed to.

southpawboston

i always carry a swiss army knife and a leatherman in my car. they are kept along with a small set of tools, safely secured in a tool pouch, underneath the trunk floor (along with the jack, spare tire, etc). i don't see any danger in that. i considered keeping them in the glovebox (they are both self-contained knives which need to opened to be dangerous) but in the end i just put them in back with the other tools...

Last edited:

Amaris

Synchro246

I am definitly going to be getting one of those hammer-seatbelt cutter combos. We live in an area with lots of bridges and water and we have electric windows.
Thanks for those links.

I didn't even know dedicated seat webbing cutters existed.

I also really like the idea of practicing removal of my child from the carseat in the dark with one hand. That can only be a good thing to have done.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC