In God's Country

super_grape

Did anyone see this movie last nite (maybe it was made for TV in Canada??)?

It was a terrible, horrible movie about polygamist communities (Altho, it was good in that a woman and her children were able to escape) and I couldn't stomach the whole thing but I did catch the escape scene. Mom and kids were speeding off in a minivan and the 2 youngest were in the back
PROPERLY restrained in boosters!!! YAY and FINALLY!!! AND everyone else was wearing a well-fitting seatbelt!

I was so impressed that someone finally got it right...way to go whoever
made that movie!

ADS

scatterbunny

Funny that they were properly restrained in an ESCAPE scene...you'd think they'd display them jumping in the van and speeding off as fast as possible.

Good for them. :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
That is impressive :)

However, in all fairness, there are some women who enjoy being one of 2+ wives :eek: I know *I* certainly wouldn't & I vehemently support protecting ALL people from every kind of abuse in ANY relationship -- I just wish to recognize that for some women polygomy is a safe, comfortable choice they choose....

scatterbunny

ITA, Tiff!

I think I'd actually enjoy being one of a few wives, for some reasons. More help with housework, for one thing. :p

Morganthe

That is impressive :)

However, in all fairness, there are some women who enjoy being one of 2+ wives :eek: I know *I* certainly wouldn't & I vehemently support protecting ALL people from every kind of abuse in ANY relationship -- I just wish to recognize that for some women polygomy is a safe, comfortable choice they choose....

If a woman wants to share her spouse with other women, I truly feel that's her business. I kind of feel sorry for a man (since they tend to be traditional) trying to support multiple spouses and children on a single salary.

Unfortunately, these polygamy situations tend to break down into much older men selecting young girls to marry them. Not classic pedophilia, but definitely extremely close in definition. The young girls end what little education they might have been attending, and once the babies start coming, there is no way out :(

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I know Morganthe -- it can be really creepy & downright abusive, but when it's not, well, there seems to be a stigma that it's ALWAYS bad, but for some it's good :) The 1 family I know: the women are best friends & love not being the only one, the man is very respectful :) *SHRUG*

super_grape

Unfortunately, these polygamy situations tend to break down into much older men selecting young girls to marry them. Not classic pedophilia, but definitely extremely close in definition. The young girls end what little education they might have been attending, and once the babies start coming, there is no way out :(

This movie was full of abuse, pedophilia, and child brides which is why I couldn't stomach watching it.
If a grown woman chooses to live like this then that is her decision but these communties are marrying their girls (girls as in 12 year olds) to old men as Morganthe said...that is disgusting and one of the reasons why the leader of one of these communities has been apprehended by the FBI.

I would LOVE to have extra 24/7 help around the house too but I think I'd be better off just hiring a maid:p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
This movie was full of abuse, pedophilia, and child brides which is why I couldn't stomach watching it.
If a grown woman chooses to live like this then that is her decision but these communties are marrying their girls (girls as in 12 year olds) to old men as Morganthe said...that is disgusting and one of the reasons why the leader of one of these communities has been apprehended by the FBI.

ITA. I would have a hard time watching just the commercials :( :( :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC