Update on my friend with the jump seat issue, and 2 seats in front of a pickup?

Splash

So, she went to BRU the other day to try out a Boulevard in the jump seat. She was in the back when she noticed another seatbelt she had never seen before.
Her truck DOES have three front seats! It has a captains chair, and then another captains chair with an attached armrest/console. Flip up the console and there is a lap belt only there, with a very low seatback. My truck was like this too, but mine was a 97, so I don't know if they changed. She knew the console flipped up, but she didn't know there was a seatbelt there.

So, she DOES have three seatbelts for the front seat. So for the time being, she can put both kids in the front if she can make two seats fit.

I was thinking Triumph (she already has one) for the baby RF in the passenger seat with the airbag off. Then for the older one I figured an Intera without the base. But RF or FF? Is it safe for her to RF in the middle, with the driver's airbag so close? I think probably no. Plus she probably would not be able to drive then!
Could she put an infant seat in the middle, or would the driver's airbag hit it?

Also, if she puts her daughter FF in the middle, can she tether it to one of the back seatbelts? How would she do that? They're ALR lapbelts (I think. Mine were). Could you pull them right up to the back of the seat, and tether it there? Or would it pull the seat over too much?

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
FFing. RFing is not safe since the driver's side airbag is meant to often get the middle passenger too. The intera needs head support though so if the seatback is that low, I'd get something different.

Splash

Rats! What else could she get? How narrow is an Uptown?
I'd tell her to get a Radian, but with the install issues, and the WEIGHT (without being tethered) is worrisome.

Splash

A side facing seat that folds down out of the side of the car. I've only ever seen them in small pickups. They're not safe in the least, but they are pretty comfy (I loved riding in the jump seat in my dad's truck).

RubysGirl

I'd think a radian, that would put her daughter nice and low, too. If it fits, of course.

She may have to get an narrow infant seat, too, so she won't be too crowded, yk?

Ahzryn

Do you have a Radian you can try handy? If that will puzzle ff with the rf Triumph, that's probably the way to go. The Triumph sits up on a base, so there's hope.

But if that's a no go, I'd say rf BV with ff Radian in the middle to hopefully stay rf as long as humanly possible. Still not a great situation, but better than the jump seat :( The fit on a newborn in the BV isn't going to be great, but hopefully it will be acceptable.

Splash

I don't have a Radian, and I don't live anywhere near her anyway. I just know her online.
Someone posted a picture album with the Radian in it the other day... BeeBear? (Cias' mom) and it looked like it fit horribly in the middle of the pickup. Don't know what the problem was, but it didn't look right. If it works though, I agree that would be best. Very narrow.
She's fine keeping the Triumph for the baby, if it all fits in there right.

scatterbunny

Since she's so small, what about going with something like a CarGo to ensure it will fit with the Triumph and still give mom enough room to drive?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A side facing seat that folds down out of the side of the car. I've only ever seen them in small pickups. They're not safe in the least, but they are pretty comfy (I loved riding in the jump seat in my dad's truck).
Uh...comfy? Now let's look back at this possibly fuzzy memory...how old were you when you found it 'fun' to do that? :D

Janice has a 1999 Ranger... Um..what's her screenname here...beebear23? She has put a few things in there, and got a top tether added for free... Try the Radian review thread in reviews.

And, <pats self on back> I just KNEW there was a center lapbelt (they used to even sell this cool-looking kid seat for the middle, like to replace the center console or something... I'm sure she couldn't find one, but I remember someone sending me a link to one on ebay a couple years ago and asking if I thought it was safe.

Whatever she puts in the middle has to be *NARROW*... there's really not a lot of room to drive next to a seat...hmmm... futura? (curses on you, fisher price, for not making GOOD seats for us anymore!)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
If the child is relatively young and small-ish, then the CarGo would probably be a good choice. Otherwise, if the Radian can fit (even if it takes some work and tricks to do it), I'd go with the Radian, since the truck only has one free shoulder belt, and the rear facing baby will have to go in that seating position. It sounds like she plans to trade the truck in eventually, but I would hate for her to realize her DD has outgrown the CarGo and there's no free shoulder belt for a booster.

If money is no object for the seats, I'd go to the store and start trying them out. Install the Radian or CarGo in the center, and then start seeing what fits next to it. The Triumph tends to not work as well right next to another seat, because of the knob adjusters on the sides. The Roundabout does work well 3-across IME, but is expensive. The Scenera might fit well, and outgrowing it early would not be an issue. I think the ComfortSport fits well next to the CarGo, even though some folks don't like it, it's not exactly the worst seat ever made. The FP Safe Voyage is a larger seat, but it sits up high, so it might actually work OK next to the Radian or CarGo.

Trying seats is a PITB when you're pregnant, but that really is the best way to determine what will work. Are there any friendly techs who live near her? Maybe someone from this board would be willing to meet her at TRU and try various combinations with her.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have that Futura that Hayley's outgrowing...but it expires in about 18 months, if I remember correctly.
;)

Oh, and I just read everyone already talked about Janice and her bad radian experience, sorry to repeat it...dum de dum...

Maybe a Scenera and a Cargo would work?

Man, what a tough situation :(

skipspin

Trying seats is a PITB when you're pregnant, but that really is the best way to determine what will work. Are there any friendly techs who live near her? Maybe someone from this board would be willing to meet her at TRU and try various combinations with her.

Actually, I happen to think it's quite fun, at least till the next morning when I can't get out of bed without help. LOL. I just had to comment.

I would say since she is so small to get a Cargo. It's almost garanteed to fit, and it's cheaper/lighter/easier to find than a Radian. I think a Radian would be a good choice if it installs well because of the low head excursion numbers even without the tether, but just may be more complicated than what she needs right now?

LuvBug

thats so great that she does have the middle seatbelt! My BIL had a 99ish ranger and I remembered it having a middle seat under the console.

The cargo is nice and narrow, so she could try it. And maybe the baby in a keyfit or snugride since they are narrow.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC