Convertible carseat suggestion for baby with helmet

abttrflykss

My friend's baby (11 months old right now) will most likely be getting a helmet within the next couple months. She has several medical problems (suffered a stroke in-utero in the 3rd trimester which wasn't found out til she started crawling, blood clots in her brain) and she is also a tiny girl. Not sure how much she weighs but probably no more then 15-18 lbs. She is in an infant seat right now, but I wanted to get suggestions for when she can go into a convertible seat, if there are better seat suggestions for this type of situation. The mom is unemployed, so she doesn't have much to spend on a seat. I was thinking of trying to help a little (maybe up to $50, possibly more if need be) to keep her safe.

I'm well aware of the rf-to-age-2-or-longer and I'm sure the mom will see this will be safer for her daughter. Anyone know if the EFTA would be a good seat? I have it for my dd and I think the infinite adjust would be a good option.

Another question....can the infant seats be used past 1 year? I know most babies outgrow by height, but I'm not sure if that will be the case with this baby (unless the helmet puts her at or above the top of the shell).

Thanks in advance for any help and info.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
An infant seat can definitely be used beyond a year if the child still has 1" of shell above the head and is under the weight limit. A helmet might be a little bulky in an infant seat, though.

I think one of the seat that are kind of wide would be good- EFTA and True Fit come to mind.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Easy answer first - yes, the 'bucket' infant seat can be used as long as the child is below the weight/height limits.

Most "helmets" that help reshape the head (too lazy to look up the official language) I've seen are open on the top and shouldn't add height to the child.

As far as a rearfacing seat, I'm not aware of any "best" seats for helmets, but the number of seats that rear face to MORE than 35lbs is increasing. I'm betting a child who's had a stroke has problems with muscle tone and maybe head control - another reason to encourage rf ing for a long time.

I would consider the following:
  • Sunshine Kids Radian RFs to 45, also has a tall shell AND they have the added security of using the tether rear facing. The 80 version comes with inserts that should help keep a tiny one snug.
  • Graco makes the "My Ride" which allows rear facing up to 40 lbs.
  • Britax Marathon RFs to 35 and has the rfing tether as well.
  • Dorel makes 3 in 1 seats that RF to 35 and ff to 50 (read carefully - not all of their seats harness to 50). Dorel isn't my favorite seat but it does have a tall shell, allowing RFing for a long time.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
If it were my child I think I would really want a seat that RF tethers if possible. One good option would be the Radian 80, as PP mentioned, comes with comfy insert for smaller child. I would choose that over the xt. I just think the headwings may actually get in the way.
I also agree the width of the true fit would probably work very well for a child such as this, and is available with the anti-rebound option (the true fit premiere)

Pixels

I would not use a RF-tethering or ARB seat for a child wearing a helmet. The added weight of the helmet will translate into higher neck strain.

On the same line, I would keep a child wearing a helmet rear facing for as long as possible due to the added weight on the head.

zactayaus

I would not use a RF-tethering or ARB seat for a child wearing a helmet. The added weight of the helmet will translate into higher neck strain.

On the same line, I would keep a child wearing a helmet rear facing for as long as possible due to the added weight on the head.

The current helmets on the market for reshaping of the head way around 6 oz. I know this because just a month or so ago we went through the whole helmet evalution thing.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
The current helmets on the market for reshaping of the head way around 6 oz. I know this because just a month or so ago we went through the whole helmet evalution thing.

yes, this.

i was not thinking about tethering/arb for the helmet (since they are super light) but more for whatever other medical problems are going on...she just sounds fragile and teeny and if she were mine i would prefer arb/ or tether to her getting all smashed into the seat...even though yes, that is what is intended to happen...

and i agree that RF as long as possible is extra important in this case as well

babyherder

Maybe keep her in the infant seat for as long as possible. Save up money for a rear facing seat with a higher weight limit while baby is still in infant seat

henrietta

Personally, my preemie had poor muscle tone (he's fine now), but he loved/loves the Evenflo Triumph (we have an old one and an EFTA). It was so comfy and supportive. For a child that tiny, she's not going to reach the 35 lb rearfacing weight limit anytime soon (or the forward facing one of 50 lbs), plus it is a very plush seat and wide enough to accomadate the helmet. It's a pretty tall seat, so it should last her a long, long time.

henrietta

zeo2ski

I'd be sure to NOT get ones with wings that push the head forward at all. The helmet could add to head slump. The My Ride cradles well. I'm not sure I agree about tethering because of being fragile--seems to me the opposite would be better. Helmet or not, tethering will increase neck loads some, and I would think a fragile child would be thought of more like we think of a newborn where tethering is not preferred. :twocents:

I'm curious if this is really a reshaping helmet, or actually for protection if she has trouble with controlling mobility. Just thought of that because OP said they found out about the stroke when she started crawling; sounds like her crawling was a bit off so they got her checked out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree on the no head wings. However you're going to find mixed opinions on tethering-- some of us are okay with it for newborns and some aren't, too. ;)

tl01

I agree on the no head wings. However you're going to find mixed opinions on tethering-- some of us are okay with it for newborns and some aren't, too. ;)

Interestingly enough when DS had his helmet for 8-9 months, he was RFing in a Blvd and had no problem with head slumping at all. As long as the angle was good... he was comfy. I think the wings would be more supportive in a crash plus they helped DS's head not get pulled as far to the side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC