Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Unbuckling chest clip in MR65

My sister inlaw called me yesterday saying that my niece (she just turned 1) is unbuckling the chest clip in her my ride. She does while sister inlaw is driving and I don't know what to tell her to do! Any advice? It's freaking my sister inlaw out and I don't want her to end up turning her FF so that she can "keep an eye on her."

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Unbuckling chest clip in MR65

Does she have the straps properly tightened? She shouldn't be able to pinch any slack at her DD's shoulders. It is difficult for me to imagine a 1 y/o unbuckling a properly tightened & positioned chest clip.

If it's properly tightened, the other thing to do would be to use a zipper or button up shirt. Basically you put the shirt on the child, unfastened, buckle them into the seat and then fasten the shirt over the harness. Good luck!
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

It is also hard for me to imagine a just turned one year old being able to reliease the chest clip on the MR, must have some good dexterity and strength!

Like Celtic said, ensure she has the harness properly tightened and the chest clip in the proper position.

Your sister can get some sticky velcro and stick a piece of the rought side on the clip. Apparently kids don't like the feel of the rough side, it hurst their little fingers so will hopefully deter her.

The purpose of the chest clip is to ensure the harness straps stay in position before a crash, so if the harness is otherwise properly situated and tightened, and she's not pulling her arms out of the harness or anything, then her little one is still safe in her seat. A chest clip being unbuckled is in no way the same as a harness being unbuckled!

I had SIL send me a picture because I felt the same way... that I had never seen a 1yr old who was able to unbuckle their seat.

Sure enough, the chest clip was right above her belly and the harness was half down her sleeves (she was wearing a heavy jacket so I can imagine just how tight the harness was... )

I told her she needed to put the harness and chest clip on correctly then most likely Abby wouldn't be able to unbuckle that.. but she insists that she can still do it. I doubt it. I will tell her about the jacket thing though! And the velcro! Thanks

My son is 17 months and just started doing this too, I'm getting a new seat. His was properly tightned, it is just so easy for them to pop open!
    Mom To DD (7 years, 49 lbs, 48") in her Graco Nautilus
    DS1 (4 years 39 lb 42") in his Graco Nautilus
    DS2 (28 months 28 lbs) ERF Britax Roundabout 50
    DD2 (8 months) RF Britax bsafe