Which booster is 'best'?

mrs_teeee67

At the moment, I have my 7 year old in the Radian65. When she goes over the 65lb mark; I figured on getting a Monterey.

But,, is that best? Or did I just develop some sort of loyalty to the brand lol

I've just gotten a 2001 Dodge Caravan, so install shouldn't be a problem *that I'm aware of with my 'limited' knowledge'.

I want what will provide great protection, but if it's no different to buy one vs another, or only price/cover difference then I need to know my 'equivalent safety' choices.

Thanks in advance

ADS

mrs_teeee67

I know that the lack of machine washability REALLY frustrated me with the Radian. I haven't NEEDED to clean her seat cover in over a year, but when she was sick, I was NOT amused *shudder*

I see the cheaper seats have washable covers,, so confused

Laurette

Yeah, I've machine washed a Radain cover. I just used the gentle cycle and low heat or hang to dry.

mrs_teeee67

That's good to know for future reference.

Any opinions on booster seats that are better or equivalent to the Monterey? Or is it actually 'the best' barring special circumstances

Kat_Momof3

I really really love my Monterey... unless your child is really skinny in the shoulders (like my daughter, UNlike my son), the Monterey will be a great fit.

My daughter is just too skinny to fit as well as I'd like... I expect by age 7 or so, she'll be broad enough that I'll like it better.

mrs_teeee67

Thank you for that view,, I don't think she's 'skinny' shouldered. She wears 7/8s and can wear some 10/12s pretty well.. lil' long in the sleeves. So I think she must be average or a bit above.

AtTheSouthDam

Here's my daughter in it. Most size 7/8 shirts fit her perfectly.
Bethyfit.jpg

Note, the lap belt is a little high, it was the first time she sat in and we are better at putting it down lower on her thighs now ;)

As you can see she doesn't have an excess of side to side room in the seat. She loves it BTW.

bubbaray

I :love: our Monterey. AND, my DD#1 is a super skinny, narrow-shouldered 5yo who was just barely over 40lbs when her fit was checked by a bunch of techs at our new-tech clinic last May. I have no qualms about recommending that seat. I think its a great seat. The cover is definitely washable (machine wash in cold on the delicate cycle, air dry on a rack). DD#1 says its the most comfortable seat she's been in (including MA, RN, GN and FR).

mrs_teeee67

Thanks ya'll. I know Hayvon is perfectly fine in the Radian' which is all she can remember being in but she's never complained. If only they'd put a cup holder on THAT seat lol

mrs_teeee67

bubbaray, is the truck your hubby drives one with the 'narrow' back seat? The bench that is 'skinny from front to back'?

I had a thread a few days ago trying to figure out what to get for hubbys truck and there was no solution found for the back seat,, just to put her in front. If ya'lls truck is similar, maybe you know of a good answer

ginny4

my DD is skinny shouldered & only 45lbs? so she just doesn't fit well in the monterey. she has too much wiggle room. if she leaned to the side her shoulder slides right out of the belt. my big guys fit WONDERFULLY in it. can you test it out.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Surprised I haven't seen it yet, so here goes:

"The best" booster will usually vary for each child, each car, each situation.

What is most important is proper fit. You want the child to feel comfortable. You want good leg support. You want the lap belt to sit low on the hips, touching the thighs. You want the shoulder belt to make contact with the body and cross over the middle of the shoulder.

You want the booster to fit well in your car (usually not a problem, but you never know). You want it to fit your budget.

The Monterey tends to be a good choice, but until you've tried your daughter in it, no one here can say whether or not it is "the best" choice for you. There are probably other boosters that would work equally as well, too.

Kat_Momof3

Thank you for that view,, I don't think she's 'skinny' shouldered. She wears 7/8s and can wear some 10/12s pretty well.. lil' long in the sleeves. So I think she must be average or a bit above.

oh, at that size she should be fine even if she's on the narrower side.

My daughter is just starting to wear size 7 tops and she's got narrow shoulders, so it's still not a good fit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Where are your dd's shoulders in relation to the top slot? How much does she weigh? My 46lb 7 yo was over the top slots at that age, but didn't hit 65 pounds till she was 9.5 and WELL over the top slots, and the top standing height limit.
I'm just saying, usually you can't go by weight limit alone (unless she's like 60 now and just about at the top slots, then it would probably be perfect for you to be shopping for a new seat now :))

steph_s

I :love: my pkwy SG! The monterey just doesn't work for my munchkin! It's far too wide and the lap and shoulder belts don't hit him correctly. Plus he is booster training (about to outgrow his regent in height probably by the end of winter) and the sg clip makes him feel more comfortable. There is no "best" booster seat! I have tried my son and my friends dd in several boosters and what fits one does not fit the other even though they seem to be almost the same size.

My son has about a 18.5-19in torso, 41-42lbs depending on the day and is 5.5 years old.

My friends dd has about a 17in torso, about 45lbs and is 4.5 years old.

Standing next to each other they look the same size. They wear the same size clothes for the most part also. She is just built more solid than my son. She fits in the Monterey, he does not. They both fit nicely in the pkwy sg. He fits nicely in the vivo, but she doesn't fit well in it (too squished and the lap belt just doesn't seem as nice on her). They both look ok in turbo's, but neither of them like the turbo. It REALLY just depends on the child and the vehicle!

bubbaray

bubbaray, is the truck your hubby drives one with the 'narrow' back seat? The bench that is 'skinny from front to back'?

I had a thread a few days ago trying to figure out what to get for hubbys truck and there was no solution found for the back seat,, just to put her in front. If ya'lls truck is similar, maybe you know of a good answer

Well, its a Toyota Tacoma crew cab, so in theory its a full backseat. Its not as deep (front to back) as a domestic crew cab. I can fit pretty much any seat in a new domestic crew cab, LOL. The problem is usually either extended cabs or older crew cabs. For example, the Frontier does NOT fit in an older Dakota extended cab.

What truck do you have or can you post the link to the other thread? For a less-deep truck install, the RN is my first choice.

mrs_teeee67

Well, its a Toyota Tacoma crew cab, so in theory its a full backseat. Its not as deep (front to back) as a domestic crew cab. I can fit pretty much any seat in a new domestic crew cab, LOL. The problem is usually either extended cabs or older crew cabs. For example, the Frontier does NOT fit in an older Dakota extended cab.

What truck do you have or can you post the link to the other thread? For a less-deep truck install, the RN is my first choice.

I'm sorry, I don't know what a RN is?

It's a 93 Chevy and here's the thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1100580&posted=1#post1100580

Hayvon measures 17" torso sitting flat on the floor and she weighs 60-62 lbs depending on the day and the scale

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC