Boulevard on United International flight - my experience

Mummy2Summer

So I took DD on a flight from the US to Australia (flying United Airlines) last week.

I took her Boulevard onboard as I bought her a seat.

I had NO trouble with putting the seat RFing whatsoever!! the airline steward asked why my DD was RFing and I said because she isn't at the weight to FF (which she isn't).

The woman in front kicked up a STINK I mean a HUGE stink! the customer service people got on the plane and told her she could get off if she wanted. She was angry her seat was not going to be able to recline, so I said I will happily FF my daughter (RFing the seat was SO upright, it really didn't look comfortable for her at all) but if she reclined her seat she would squish my daughters legs so please be careful. Well she went nuts again!!! She ended up moving seats, it was a full flight and she got the last and only free seat on the plane.

I ended up FFing DD because of the lack of recline, after take off I reclined her seat and the airline seat and she slept so soundly for 12 hours!

I bought seats in Economy Plus and it was still a tight fit! i'd hate to fly regular economy with a carseat!

anyway the flight was great!

ADS

babyherder

Well too bad for her. The safety of all passengers comes first. And really, I would put baby's comfort before mine to a certain extend. Unhappy baby on plane means everyone's unhappy. So I'd deal with my discomfort and be glad baby's not screaming

Mummy2Summer

Well too bad for her. The safety of all passengers comes first. And really, I would put baby's comfort before mine to a certain extend. Unhappy baby on plane means everyone's unhappy. So I'd deal with my discomfort and be glad baby's not screaming

she wanted us kicked off the plane because I had a child and a carseat. They said because I bought my daughter a ticket they couldn't kick us off (not that they could anyway)

I actually said to the woman that she purchased a seat, the fact that she can recline her seat is an added bonus.... that didn't go down well. It was at that point my mum told me to shut up! LOL

I was much happier having DD FFing in a reclined seat instead of RFing in a vertically upright seat, the flight left at 11pm at night so I wanted DD to sleep and that upright it didn't look possible!

vonfirmath

I was much happier having DD FFing in a reclined seat instead of RFing in a vertically upright seat, the flight left at 11pm at night so I wanted DD to sleep and that upright it didn't look possible!

Yes, the car seat is upright. But my son, at least, was able to sleep regardless.

I see FF a 1 yr old on a plane as fine... I wouldn't do it in a vehicle but it just works better on a plane. We flew in October with my little sister who was at the time 13.5 months and 22lbs or so. Her primary seat is a Boulevard but we took the Roundabout with us for ease of use/carrying/installtion on the plane and in the rental car. I went to install is rear facing on the plane and my mom was like "oh, come on!" ...(Ittook me months to convince her about rear facing past a year) Then I just figured she's the only baby on the whole plane even in a seat and as you said- you can't get a good recline anyways so she had her one and only FF ride on a flight. I was able to recline it nicely and she slept and watched Dora.

I'm so happy to hear she slept like that- how awesome!

Mummy2Summer

I see FF a 1 yr old on a plane as fine... I wouldn't do it in a vehicle but it just works better on a plane. We flew in October with my little sister who was at the time 13.5 months and 22lbs or so. Her primary seat is a Boulevard but we took the Roundabout with us for ease of use/carrying/installtion on the plane and in the rental car. I went to install is rear facing on the plane and my mom was like "oh, come on!" ...(Ittook me months to convince her about rear facing past a year) Then I just figured she's the only baby on the whole plane even in a seat and as you said- you can't get a good recline anyways so she had her one and only FF ride on a flight. I was able to recline it nicely and she slept and watched Dora.

I'm so happy to hear she slept like that- how awesome!

On our return flight in January I am going to do the same thing, I won't bother with RFing on '''the flight, as I said previously I got her regular recline FFing as opposed to NO recline RFing. For a 14 hour flight I want her to sleep!

InternationalMama

When you fly back you might try to get the bulkhead seats if the Boulevard is narrow enough to fit. (You can't raise the armrests.) I don't love the bulkhead, but I do love that you can get a nice recline RFing and there is no one in front of you to complain about it. (I have had a passenger in front kick up a huge stink too and it's just not fun, especially when you are traveling alone.) Of course, if she's asleep I'd think FF is perfectly fine on the plane, but I like RF for interacting when they are awake.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC