Is it better...

U

Unregistered1

Ok so I have definitely decided that the Mazda 5 is what I want.

Now, is it better to buy a 2006 with lower milage (around 30,000) or a 2008 with higher milage (around 50,000) as far as longevity and maintenence?

ADS

Maedze

I don't know if this is important to you, but the big difference between those two models is that in 2006, there was no rear passenger vent. There were vents in the front dash and that was it. In 2008 they added a vent in the rear end of the console between the front seats, pointing at the second row.

I understand the third row of the 5 gets pretty miserable in the summer in the older models.

U

Unregistered1

I don't know if this is important to you, but the big difference between those two models is that in 2006, there was no rear passenger vent. There were vents in the front dash and that was it. In 2008 they added a vent in the rear end of the console between the front seats, pointing at the second row.

I understand the third row of the 5 gets pretty miserable in the summer in the older models.

We currently have NO a/c. So anything will be a step up.

beeman

How many miles a year do you put on? What is the price difference? How much salt is used on your roads?

The higher mileage vehicle will likely be mostly highway miles. I put 25,000 miles a year on my truck, so I don't view 50,000 on an 08 as high. As for corrosion, the newer one will have longer warranty in that department, and if you're in the rust belt that is a concern. On any used vehicle, replacement of brakes, suspension & steering components and tires may be needed in the 60 to 70 thousand mile range, however that will vary between vehicles, and how hard they have been driven. Don't let this make you avoid the higher mile vehicle, but consider it when comparing price differences.

mcomommy

I have no idea which is better but just wanted to say that we have an 07 Mazda 5 and my oldest is in the back row. Even in TX summers she got plenty cool back there just from the front vents, it is a small small little van :love:

LuvMyCharlie

Didn't they add an arm rest for the front passenger in the '08, also? I dunno...if I was the passenger, that's something that'd bother me(not having an armrest).

U

Unregistered1

Yeah, the newer ones have arm rests. But once again, I'm used to driving a 1990 Accord... anything is a step up. I almost never have a front passenger anyways.

So is the milage difference not a huge deal then? Do cars need more maintenence because they're older or because they have high milage?

crunchierthanthou

Didn't the first MYs have an issue where the 3rd row shoulder belts were too far foward on the pillar. IIRC, they were only good for harnessed seats. When did they change that?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
It's a toss up really. Lower miles is less use, but it also means HARDER use, like in town stop-and-start driving. That wears down the car faster. Th higher mileage HAD to be highway miles, you can't really put 25K miles a year on a vehicle otherwise, so while it's more miles, there might possibly have actually been less wear and tear on the tranny and stuff.
Do you have history? Can either of them show service records? Because a properly maintained vehicle with regular oil changes is going to be the clear winner over one that hasn't been cared for.

beeman

So is the milage difference not a huge deal then? Do cars need more maintenence because they're older or because they have high milage?

Really when it comes down to it, both have an affect. There are certain points in the maintenance manual that are base on mileage, and others that are based on time. Assuming other than mileage that both vehicles are basically in the same condition, I'd personally prefer to go with the newer, high mileage vehicle, because I know how to change brakes, shocks, u-joints etc., compared to electronics and body work. The warranty will last longer too. Don't go in with an attitude that "anything is a step up". If you can afford so, buy the vehicle that is best suited for you, and don't settle for second best.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC