Becoming a CPS Tech?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Okay, I know there have been numerous threads about this. But, there's a class near me coming up and I'm tempted. I'm starting back to work but not until after the class so, provided I can get someone to keep Nolan, then I may take this class. When I keep trying to think of reasons that I *need* to take this class, the only one I can come up with is, "Because I *want* to!"

It may come in handy down the road, once I've done enough checks to feel comfortable/competent in holding checks. We live in an area where there are plenty of checks and techs (hmmm... that rhymes), but most of my family lives in a very rural area. My SIL, who is into safety in general - including carseats, says that there hasn't been a check there in several years. Does that sound like a reasonable thing to be able to do? I'm sure there is a tech somewhere (firefighter, trooper, etc) nearby who would be willing to do one together.

So - for those of you who are techs, other than being into carseats and safety, how else do you justify taking a weeklong class to do something that doesn't pay anything...? :)

Just curious about other folks reasons for doing this - mine is "because I want to!"

ADS

southpawboston

how else do you justify taking a weeklong class to do something that doesn't pay anything...? :)

who needs to justify? you don't need to justify to anyone other than yourself and your family. if you want to do it, do it! in my case, my justification is that i would be helping promote safety... BUT, at the cost of time (for the training) that could otherwise be spent with my precious little ones.

CandCfam

It's something that would easily be justified by me because I know I'd be able to help (hopefully) many people keep their kiddos as safe as possible in a vehicle.

That is enough to justify the cost and minimal time away from my own kiddos for the class. (ETA: I would not have wanted to do it if my children were younger though, or still nursing throughout the day.)

Now, if only a class would come my way.:(

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I am going to be taking the class just because I want to and this is a passion of mine! Babies and all that they entail has ALWAYS been an interest to me. I have always loved looking at and playing with baby stuff (I remember shopping with my parents for my brothers before they were born and they would say I knew more about the stuff then they did! I was 8 then!) I love being around babies so much I even took my ECE just so I could work with them. This is just me and who I am!

There are many things I would be doing that it would help by taking the course; but I think that just because I want to is justification enough. :D

skipspin

I took the coarse when my DD was 2.5. She was more than happy to spend a few days at a friend's house and she was old enough that I was okay with it. I knew that it might well be my last chance in a while since we were planning on more kids. It was great and I have no regrets.

There are opportunites to use the education to volunteer, and it's been great for me to be able to help my friends etc and know that I know what I'm doing. Also, it was a nice little break from mommy-life;-)

nisi

Senior Community Member
"because I want to" is enough IMO but if you need more...

Look at it as a hobby. Everyone needs a hobby, right? Some people spend tons of money fixing up old cars - way more than they'll ever get back by selling it. Some people spend entire weekends away from their family going to quilting shows. I know several people who spend lots of time and money on scrapbooking. So your hobby is CPS. Don't feel bad about spending some time and money on it, especially since your hobby might save a life some day. Bet the quilters and grease monkeys can't say that ;)

and if that's not good enough...

It's your chance to give back to the community. Didn't we all learn in middle school civics class that good citizens give their time and talents to make the community a better place? This is your chance to volunteer your time and make a difference in an area that's important to you.

southpawboston

Some people spend tons of money fixing up old cars - way more than they'll ever get back by selling it.

some people, yes, but fixing old cars can actually be much more than a hobby ot money pit as you would suggest; it can be a viable livelihood, if you happen to choose cars that have a lot of value.

scatterbunny

I will do it just because I want to. :)

And the techs who do it because they're passionate about it and want to help keep kids safer in the car are much better techs than the ones who take the class for "a good reason" (i.e. for their job), in my experience.

nisi

Senior Community Member
some people, yes, but fixing old cars can actually be much more than a hobby ot money pit as you would suggest; it can be a viable livelihood, if you happen to choose cars that have a lot of value.

Did I strike a nerve ;)

Of course it can be profitable. I have a relative who does exactly as you say. His sole source of income is the profits from buying and restoring classic cars. But at the hobbyist level... IME it usually isn't profitable. I know far more people who lose money or maybe break even than who make money. And so what? Whether it be fixing up classic cars or becoming a CPS tech or both, there's nothing wrong with spending time and money on something you enjoy doing, even if there's no tangible reward (ie money to be made). That was my point.

southpawboston

agreed about nothing wrong with doing it (see post #2 ;) ) i guess the "grease monkey" part struck a nerve. some of us "monkeys" have PhDs...

scatterbunny

I'm sure I'll spend $$$ on CPS stuff and get no $$ in return, but that's okay. :) I just bought and gave away two boosters yesterday, and the monetary cost was well-worth the feeling I get knowing that two kids are now safer.

nisi

Senior Community Member
Please know that I use the term with nothing but respect and affection. :) But if some of the monkeys are offended I'll be more careful in the future. Thanks for pointing it out.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I'm taking the course right now, been through 1 day have 3 more to go, it's easier for me to take b/c it's just 1 day a week for 4 weeks, so much eaiser to find someone to keep allie and abby for 1 day a week then for 4-5 days in a row... that would be harder. I will eventully get paid for my work, but that is not even close to why i took the course, and if the funds are gone out of the grant that I will get paid out of, i'm sure i'll still attend events, checks, ect. on my own free will and time. volenteering is a passion of mine, dh's too i guess, i do time volenteering in the schools, my SIL's church, aditional time at the WIC office then i get paid for, taking phone calls on the IBCLC help line (nursing mams need help 24hours a day... ), dh is a fire fighter, and EMT. I also help out with habit for humanity too.
If you want to do it just do it! :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I want to take it too, but the classes seem to only be offered when I am working. :( I can't take off work for a week in order to take the class. :(

southpawboston

I want to take it too, but the classes seem to only be offered when I am working. :( I can't take off work for a week in order to take the class. :(

that's my problem too... if i took the time off, that would be vacation time that could otherwise be spent with the family. since i work full time, i rarely see them as it is! :(

nisi

Senior Community Member
I work full time too. I took 4 days off work for the class. I know not everyone has the vacation time available or feels they can justify using it for this, but I did. It was about a week after we got back from a big family vacation so I didn't feel too bad about sacrificing time with the family. Besides, the one thing I never get as a mom is "Me" time. I need to do that from time to time for my own sanity (which is also why I'm realllly looking forward to Lifesavers :) )

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I took four vacation days to take my class as well. Additionally, I take vacation days here and there to help out at weekday seat checks.

I just got a new job... and I'm trying to find out if they give time off for volunteer work. I think they do...if so I'll be going to a few more weekday checks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC