Help Needed .. Please

mommy2boys0608

I need help ... I have a Dodge Neon 2005 and need to get 3 across , We have the following seats right now :
Graco Nautilus
Cosco Scenera
and a Baby Trend infant seat

They all fit but when you close the door it moves the infant seat which is not good . Please help me , we can not spend alot of money on seats and I am not even sure what to try . :(

ADS

Maedze

When you have seats next to each other it's not enough to 'get them in'. They all must be independently secure; that is, each belt must be tight enough that the seat moves less than an inch in any direction, regardless if the seat next to it is taken out.

The best way to determine independent tightness is to put the middle seat in first, correctly with less than an inch of movement. Then, install the outboard seats tightly.

Then REMOVE the middle seat and see if the outboard seats are STILL tight. If they are, great. If they aren't, the install isn't acceptable.

We can help you get your children correctly secured, but I don't think you're going to be doing it with that combination of child restraints, unfortunately.

What are the ages, weights and heights of your children?

mommy2boys0608

3 1/2 yrs -42lbs he is in the nautilus - using the top latch and seatbelt
21 months , about 25 lbs , was in an EFTA but moving to a Cosco Scenera tried using the seatbelt

not yet born -we were gonna use a baby trend infant seat with the base in the middle since it does not fit at all outbound but it is not fitting right

Maedze

If you can trade the Nautilus in for a Radian, I would try putting the Radian in the center position forward facing with the Scenera and the infant bucket both outboard.

The Neon is extremely small...i'm not 100% confident that that will work, but it would be your best chance.

Maedze

I can not afford a radian :( what about 2 sceneras , one RF and one FF ??

You can try. Hopefully someone here has this particular vehicle and can chime in.

The problem with the Sceneras is that the shells flare out on the sides and they tend not to fit well next to each other :(

Is this your primary vehicle? What about a Ride Safer Travel Vest for the three year old?

cookie123

Sadly, your 3.5 year old is too heavy for the Scenera. Someone around here used to do 3 across in a Neon. I haven't seen her here in quite awhile, though.

mommy2boys0608

You can try. Hopefully someone here has this particular vehicle and can chime in.

The problem with the Sceneras is that the shells flare out on the sides and they tend not to fit well next to each other :(

Is this your primary vehicle? What about a Ride Safer Travel Vest for the three year old?

what is that vest and what seat would he sit in .. is that legal ?

Sadly, your 3.5 year old is too heavy for the Scenera. Someone around here used to do 3 across in a Neon. I haven't seen her here in quite awhile, though.
not for my 3.5 year old , I was thinking for the baby and the almost 2 yr old .

cookie123

OH, sorry. Thought you were going to use the Baby Trend. The Baby Trend is about the narrowest of the infant buckets. The Safe Ride Travel Vest is worn with no carseat. Google it to get an idea of what it is.

urchin_grey

If you got the vest for your 3.5yo you could possibly put both your newbie and your middle child RF'ing in the outboard positions (2yo in the Scenera, newbie in the infant seat). :)

armywife12

We just traded in our 05 Neon about 3 weeks ago otherwise I could have been more help to you. A 3.5 yr old in a booster is not acceptable at all. They are not mature enough and most aren't big enough either. Maturity plays a very big factor in it though. At 3 yrs old, they lack impulse control so the often play with the shoulder belt and move out of position. At this age, many still fall asleep as well and end up slouching and moving themselves out of position.

I think the Evenflo Generations 65 booster (harnesses to 65lbs and then boosters) is more narrow than the Nautilus so maybe that would work. They are only about $99. It may fit well with 2 Sceneras or one Scenera and the Baby Trend. I believe the Baby Trend is one of the narrower infant seats but I'm not sure if it is more narrow than a Scenera. We used the Baby Trend in our Neon but that was 2 yrs ago so I dont quite remember how it fit.

Maedze

can i put my 3.5 yr old in a booster .. where do i find more info on this vest ?

You cannot put your three year old in a booster, but if you use the vest with the top tether it works as a five point harness car seat. A number of retailers carry them including Amazon.com and elitecarseats.com. You'd want the size small.

mommy2boys0608

You cannot put your three year old in a booster, but if you use the vest with the top tether it works as a five point harness car seat. A number of retailers carry them including Amazon.com and elitecarseats.com. You'd want the size small.

why can i not put him in a booster .. i do not see anything anywhere online that says that .. he is going to be 4 in March .. I am looking for the law in CA everywhere .. he is 42 lbs , so please show me where it says it is illegal to put him in a booster , what I found says 40lbs but no age .

U

Unregistered

why can i not put him in a booster .. i do not see anything anywhere online that says that .. he is going to be 4 in March .. I am looking for the law in CA everywhere .. he is 42 lbs , so please show me where it says it is illegal to put him in a booster , what I found says 40lbs but no age .

In California it is legal to put him in a booster. If you have a Neon that may be your only option. Hugs... I know it's not ideal, but do what you have to do until you can afford a bigger vehicle.

Blondie87

It may be legal where you live, but it really is not the safest option. Here are a couple videos of 2 almost 4 year olds that died while being restrained by booster seats. It may help you realize how unsafe it is having a child in a booster at such a young age.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ"]YouTube- Importance of a 5-Point Harness Carseat[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04"]YouTube- The Importance of a 5 Point Harness Car Seat - Belle's Gift[/ame]

Maedze

You can't put him in a booster because he's not old enough and it's not safe. He doesn't have the developmental maturity to sit safely in a booster. And probably won't for several more years.

This has nothing to do with whether or not it's legal, but whether or not it's developmentally appropriate, and it simply is not.

mommy2boys0608

can you please tell me then what seat to try in my car besides a radian . I can not afford a radian ... i am not watching those videos right now , I was not asking to be scared into something I am asking what I can do :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC