Options to RF after Roundabout?

98hokie

I need some convertible advice from you wise folks. My almost 18-month-old DS is RF in a 2005 Roundabout that I passed down from big sister. However, I feel like he is nearly too tall to continue RF in the Roundabout much longer, and I need to find another seat in order to keep him RF. I haven’t weighed him lately, but he is consistently under the 35th percentile for weight, and I suspect he weighs less than 30 lbs. They never seem to get a good height measurement on him at the doctor’s office, and they’ve told me everything from 50th to 75th percentile. However, I think he does have a longish torso (I will measure it this afternoon and update this post).

When his head is resting back against the Roundabout, he has approximately 2 inches from the top of his head to the top (highest point) of the seat. But it looks like he has barely an inch of shell protecting the sides of his head. The boy has a seriously big head. Am I looking at this right? Is it common to outgrow a RF Roundabout by HEIGHT so early?

Assuming he has nearly outgrown the Roundabout, what are the best options for keeping him RF? I am fairly overwhelmed here. From looking around on this board, I think I am considering the TFP, the Radian 65, and maybe the Graco MR and Britax MA or Blvd. For what it’s worth, we have always been very partial to the Britax seats for ease of installation and comfort/plushness. I think I want to like the Radian, but the one I saw in a store didn’t look extremely comfortable. I am struggling with the TFP because I can’t find one to look at in person. My Targets don’t even have TFs in the store to look at. And I am worried that DS will end up quickly outgrowing the MR by height.

The primary vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Sienna (captain’s chair), and the secondary vehicle is a 2008 Nissan Altima. Also, a related side question: if we went with the Radian and ultimately had another baby, could we fit two RF Radians with a HBB in the Altima?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not at all uncommon to outgrow the Roundabout so soon. That's part of the reason it's so very rarely recommended here. It's a nice seat, and it'd be fantastic if it was taller and suited heavier kids.

You hit the points about each seat very well. The My Ride and the big Britaxes are the shortest of the ones you're looking at. The True Fit is the tallest, with the Radian a close second. The Radian XTSL will offer you 10 more pounds rear facing, though, over the True Fit, with about an inch less in height. But if you don't like how it feels then go for the True Fit. 30 pounds at 18 months is 90th percentile. So if he's below the 35% then you're looking at closer to 23 or 24 pounds. If he was 30 pounds at 18 months I wouldn't go for the True Fit since it only goes to 35 pounds. At 23 or 24 pounds then I'd be ok with the True Fit. With a long torso it'll give you a touch more room than the Radian, though you may run into the weight limit.

I wouldn't go for the My Ride. Too short for a long torsoed baby. If you want a taller shell and 40 pounds rear facing go for the Safety 1st Complete Air.

The True Fit and the My Ride would be the most plush, though. Most kids, however, don't complain of discomfort in the Radians at all, especially the bigger ones with the nicer covers and extra padding.

The True Fit is easier, overall, to install than the Radians.

HTH

Wendy

Pixels

You said he is 18 months old, under 35th percentile for weight, and you're pretty sure he's under 30 pounds. Did you mean 20 pounds? My DD is 35th-ish percentile for weight, 18 months old, and just over 21 pounds.

Yes, it is common for the Roundabout to be outgrown early. It has a short shell. Not unusual for a long-torsoed, taller than average 18 month old.

The Marathon, Boulevard, and MyRide all have essentially the same shell height. The MyRide gives you a few extra pounds of growing room, and leg room. Britax seats have very little legroom.

I think the Radians are plenty comfy with the memory foam under the butt. The TrueFit is very padded. My daughter has never had a problem being uncomfortable in either the Radian or the TF. Then again, she's never had a problem with any carseat.

For a taller, long torsoed, lighter child I wouldn't get the MyRide. I'd look at the TrueFit or Radian. The TrueFit has lockoffs, which are required (unlike Britax, where they're optional). Personally, I hate them because my seatbelt locks and I don't need them to get a tight install, but a lot of people find lockoffs easy to use. For me, it's just an extra step. The Radian does not have lockoffs at all, and can be difficult to install until you learn the tricks to use. LATCH installs aren't usually much of a problem, it's the seatbelt installs that are tricky.

firemomof3

Yes, it sounds like your son has just about outgrown the RA and yes its common for children to outgrow it rf quickly because it has such a short shell.
I would recommend you get the Radian SL because yes, it will fit in both your vehicles and allow 3 across in the Altima. The Radian IS very comfortable because it has lots of leg room rf and a memory pad foam in the seat (to prevent sore butts ;)) Like you, I also thought the Radian looked uncomfortable so I went through many different seats before finally ordering a Radian XT and let me tell you...I love it!!
The SL stands for super latch and it allows you to install your Radian in your vehicle using the vehicle latch system w/o ever needing to use a seat belt install :D:thumbsup:

CommMom

Senior Community Member
It's not terribly surprising that he'd outgrow the (old style) Roundabout so early. That seat has a short shell, thus the problem you've run into.

Any of the seats you've mentioned would be decent choices for RF depending on your LO's size. If you know he has a long torso, then a seat with high harness slots is probably going to be a good idea. The Radian or TrueFit would both be excellent options since they have the tallest shells. If you like the Britax seats, then a Marathon, Blvd, or Roundabout50 would be decent options. They are shorter than the Radian or TF, but would still last you quite a while. The MyRide65 has about the same harness heights as the MA, so would probably last about the same amount of time. The look of the MyRide can be a little deceiving in terms of height...it's a deep seat, so that gains you a bit more torso space than it appears.

You may end up needing two different seats in terms of keeping them RF. Not every seat fits well with every vehicle...so you might think about something like a Radian for the primary and a MyRide for the secondary (if your secondary vehicle needs a seat with a shorter shell to fit).

(If you want to look at a TF and your Target doesn't carry it, remember that you could always buy online and return it to the store if you don't like it. They're offering free shipping on that right now, so you wouldn't even be out anything for that.)

My DS is RF (at 18 months) in a Marathon and a TF and we've been happy with both. If I were buying seats now for the vehicles I we use, I'd have done a TF and a MyRide (assuming they fit correctly, etc.). If I had a larger vehicle where a Radian would work (don't think it'll fit well with our current situation, but I may end up trying it later this year anyway), I'd have gone with a Radian (and probably a TF still in the secondary).

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The SL stands for super latch and it allows you to install your Radian in your vehicle using the vehicle latch system w/o ever needing to use a seat belt install :D:thumbsup:

Only in cars made after September 1, 2005. The Sienna may be older than that.

Wendy

98hokie

Thanks so much all. Lots to digest here. I did check the Sienna label and it was mfgr in April 2006. Good news there!

Now that you all have reassured me about the comfort of the Radian and enlightened me on the SL (which I DIDN'T know about), I guess that narrows it down to the Radian 65SL, Radian XTSL, and the TFP. Or at least, that's where I think we'll focus our next wave of research. Radians are easy enough to find at the baby stores around here, so I can find one and at least try it in both vehicles. :thumbsup:

Since Radians have tall shells, do they also tend to have lots of leg room like the TFPs for RF toddlers?

ETA, if we get a Radian with SL, are there any other install issues or difficulties with either the 06 Sienna or 08 Altima? Any issues with the Radian in the 3rd row of the Sienna? What if we wanted to have a FF Radian next to a RF Radian in the Altima (again with a HBB in the 3rd position). Do they puzzle together that way too?

Many, many thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yup, she mentioned that her Sienna is a 2006 :)

She did. It's not uncommon for Toyotas to be on sale well before the new year. So it may have been made before September 1, 2005. She may have owned it already by that date. I've been seeing 2010 Toyotas since the summer.

She'll need to check her date to use the SL safely. Her 2008 vehicle is fine.

Wendy

98hokie

Small update...DH tried the Radian XT in the Sienna today, but he couldn't get a good install in the captain's chair (with LATCH). I posted a separate question about the installation problem in that forum.

Assuming that we can't make the Radian work :(, I'm trying to figure out if the next best option is the TFP. I took DS to the doctor today, and he is just under 26 lbs, and 32.5 inches tall. We attempted to measure his torso length while he was sleeping tonight, and his seated shoulder height (bottom to shoulders) is approximately 14.5 inches; from his bottom to the top of his head is about 20.5 inches.

Given that height information, should I be giving equal consideration to the MR, Blvd, or MA? Is he actually tall? I would like him to be RF until at least 3.

THANKS!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A 14.5" torso at his age is quite long. That'd put him about an inch under the Roundabout's top slots, right?

The True Fit is very tall, and the 35 pound limit should get you to three easily. Quite possibly to around four.

Wendy

98hokie

Thanks, Wendy. Yes, his shoulders are above the middle slots on the RA, but not yet at the top slots.

I just wish I could find a TF to try. I'm going to have to order one, I guess from Target. Then if we like the TF and can't get the Radian to work, I guess I'll return the TF and get the TFP from an internet store.

Thanks!

karlatta

I have a 2006 Sienna and have successfully installed my Radian all over the place in that car. What kind of issues was your DH having with the install?

karlatta

I have installed in both the captain's chair and in the 3rd row, both RF and FF. I always use LATCH in the captain's chairs. Definitely try the tricks in the thread. Move the seat in front out of the way, pull the LATCH strap back through the path to tighten, and make sure the foot isn't resting on that rectangular hump thing that's over the LATCH connections.

Another trick that often helps me is reclining the vehicle's seatback while I install, and then returning it to it's correct position once I get everything tight. It gives me more room to see what I'm doing or something. It's especially helpful in 3rd row installations, since the sides are covered up by the sides of the car.

My installations are rock-solid. My 3.5yo can (and does!) climb all over the RF Radian installed in a captain's chair and it doesn't move at all.

I hope your DH is able to try again and make it work. I hated my Radian when I first got it and had a hard time installing it. But now that I've figured it out, I love it. I'm waiting (not so patiently) for my Titan to expire so I can justify buying another one.

98hokie

We probably won't make it to the store to test the Radian and TF until tomorrow. Someone on the installation thread mentioned that we might also want to look at the CA, but it also has some installation issues in the Sienna.

In the meantime, we got another torso measurement of DS today, while he was awake and sitting up. In his high chair, with his back straight, the distance from the high chair seat to the top of his shoulders was 13 inches. So, his statistics are:

age=18 months
weight=26 lbs
height=32.5 inches
seated torso length=13 inches

Does the 13-in measurment change anything? Should we still be looking exclusively at the seats with the taller shells? Sorry for the many posts and questions--I just want to make sure that I don't overlook an obvious solutions. THANKS!

armywife12

I would still keep the True fit at the top of your list with a 13 inch torso. Caleb is 27 months old and his torso is around 14.5 inches. His was close to 13 inches at your tot's age. He has outgrown rear facing in the True Fit by weight but still has several (at least 4) inches above the top of his head. He is currently rear facing in the Graco MyRide and has about 2.5 inches of shell above his head. I have no experience with the Radian so I can't comment on that. For a light, tall torsoed child the True Fit is a great option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC