Question Graco Snugride @ Babies R Us

U

Unregistered

I was wondering if anyone knew how often or when BRU gets new patterns on the Graco Snugride. This is the seat I think I want to buy (am due in 2 weeks, nothing like waiting til the last minute).

I was going to buy the Snugride32 last week when it was on sale but I am not very big and it was quite heavy for me to lug around even without a baby in it. So I want to buy the smaller Snugride but they only have an ugly baby blue one and the black and grey metropolitan. I like the look of the metropolitan but have read that the fabric is not good and makes babies very hot. It is almost canvas like, I can see it being durable but certainly not breathable.

Anyway, I have a gift card I need to use at BRU and have everything but a seat so I want to use it there. I am still contemplating the Keyfit but it is so expensive, do they ever go on sale?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Jan

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi Jan and welcome to the forums here.

I work at Babies R Us 2 evenings a week, so am quite familiar with the patterns of stock arriving and changes in patterns. That being said, we are in the change over period from 2009 patterns to 2010 patterns, so I could eat my words...

As of right now the only stand alone Graco seats that we carry are the 2 snugride patterns you mentioned and the Snugride 32. Typically patterns do change every year, but these patterns haven't been on sale for any type of clearance price and I haven't seen mention of new patterns coming in right away - though like I said, I could eat my words since we're gradually getting new stock in in preparation for the New Year.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell parents when they're shopping for an infant seat... they all feel heavy when you get a 15lb baby in there, so the 1lb difference to start isn't going to seem like much by the time baby is heavier.

What kind of stroller do you have? Is it a Graco or a brand that will accept multiple brands of carseats? The Keyfit doesn't work the best on the snap'n go frame, and the Maxi Cosi Mico can't be used on it at all, but the other seats that are sold stand alone will all attach to the snap'n go. The Britax Chaperone just came back in stock at our store either today or sometime in the last few days, so that may be an option for you as well depending on what type of stroller you have.

Thinking about it a little more, you should see any patterns available online about the time they're shipped to stores, so unless we have a "special purchase" snugride shipped, the colors that are there are the only ones you have to choose from.

U

Unregistered

Thank you Snowbird, I was hoping you would respond, you helped me decide on the Snugride or Keyfit when I asked questions a few months ago. I was at risk for having a preemie again but so far so good am at 36 weeks so I should have a baby over 5 lbs.

I don't have a stroller yet, and don't think I will get one quite yet, most likely will wear the baby or use a shopping cart depending on where I am out and about.

I found the Snugride32 to be very awkward for me to carry, the weight and the bigger size of it was hard for me to carry. So I was going to buy the Metropolitan Snugride but then saw the reviews that it makes babies so hot. Now I am overthinking everything, I really like the Keyfit although I know I don't need the 4lb minimum anymore, it was very nice to carry that seat and reading about how easy it is to install makes it desirable as well. Except it is so pricey. That baby blue Snugride is awful in my opinion, I don't like the color at all, but maybe I should just suck it up and get that one.

I am my own worst enemy, maybe the Snugride in Metroplitan is the right seat, aren't all babies always hot, I know my first son was, does the fabric make a difference. I also see that WestCoast/Echildren has the Keyfit on sale for 199$ would BRU match that price?

snowbird25ca

Babies R Us only price matches if you bring in a sales flyer that lists the identical item, in an identical color, for a lower price. The price has to be stated for the item ($30 to $15 off type things aren't taken,) and the effective date of the sale has to be on the same page as the sale item whether it be front or back.

So unless they've made up a flyer, they won't price match it.

I'm not sure about the fabric on the Metro being hot. I guess I would take the hot reviews with a grain of salt depending on who is saying it because I know in areas that get super cold winters people use those bundle-me bags and those pretty much guarantee babies over-heating no matter what carseat the baby is in. Since you're having a baby in the winter, I don't think the baby is going to be overheating in the seat for a good long while anyways even if it does end up being a warmer cover.

It's funny how colors and patterns are so individual to people. I really didn't like the G's Galore pattern we had last year and when the blue seat came in I really liked it. I can definitely see how it wouldn't be for everybody though. :p

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the response, if you had to buy an infant seat at BRU today, and you didn't care about color/fabric or whether it would fit a stroller, which seat would you buy?

I agree about the Metropolitan cover, but because I read the reviews I can't help but worry about it now. I am in Calgary so we do have our cold winters and I have air conditioning for the summer, plus I don't plan on parking the baby in the hot sun bundled up in his carseat. I just know that as soon as I buy that seat, the new 2010 stock will come in and it will be something else I like better. I am tired of being pregnant, it is messing with my brain, I can't even make a decision on a seat!

There is just something about that baby blue that turns me right off on the other seat, I prefer more neutral colors I guess.

techie

We (BRU, I also work there) are starting to clear out our 2009 stock starting Dec 11 through Jan 15 ... a 5 week bagstuffer ad. Watch for car seats going on sale.

;)

jacks1

We had the graco in the metropolitan fabric and he was a June baby. It was fine honestly. I never noticed him overheating or had any issues with the fabric. I am super aware about the kind of stuff as I overheat easily LOL! I loved how it wiped clean so easy thats about it. So if thats the only thing holding you back I would for sure buy it!

snowbird25ca

Thanks for the response, if you had to buy an infant seat at BRU today, and you didn't care about color/fabric or whether it would fit a stroller, which seat would you buy?

I'm really not completely sure. I know which seats I wouldn't buy, but beyond that, I waffle back and forth. :eek:

I love the Chicco for ease of use and for the great fit on newborns.
The Snugride is an old standby - reliable, been around a long time, had very little in the way of recalls in the last few years. I trust it completely - and I trust Chicco as a company implicitly as well from everything that I've read about them.
Chaperone has the anti-rebound bar which is really appealing to me. But this is the one I hedge the most on because for my own *personal* use, I'm really not sure I trust Britax as a company anymore. :eek: But I really really like the seat and I strongly believe in evaluating a seat based on it's own features as opposed to the company behind it.

If I had to choose, and if the Snugride 32 wasn't an option, I'd probably go with the Chicco. But it wouldn't be an easy decision... And I reserve the right to change my mind if you were to ask the same question in another 6 months. :p ;)

Hugs on the pregnancy hormones. Most of us being women on the board and most of us having gone through pregnancy, I think we all understand. It's a little more bearable on you and the people around you when you're aware that the hormones are making you have more difficulty though, so look on the bright side that you're trying to filter things to account for that. Sometimes I think men are angels for putting up with us when we're pregnant - my dh definitely was anyways. :thumbsup:

TerisBoys

Something else to consider - replacement covers CAN be purchased. So if you do get the Metro and decide you absolutely hate it, you could get a second cover that you like better down the road.

Lea_Ontario

Another BRU employee here.

I would pretty much just look into the Snugride 32 - but I'm coming from the point of view that my youngest child outgrew his 22-lb seat by WEIGHT at 11 weeks old. MOST kids won't do that.

canadiangie

I only have 10 seconds to type this.

I had the Metro SR22 and it was totally fine. I was never worried about overheating. My beef was that the fabric showed every little speck of liquid. So if it rained on the seat there'd be water spots (?!), and if a sippie leaked there'd be spots. If I took a damp cloth and wiped it the damp cloth would leave a blotch, if that makes sense. I was washing my Metro cover in the washer all.the.time and that was what bothered me the most.

Later I had a SS1 (first generation SR32) and it too had the shiny/slippery fabric but it seemed to hide things better.

Neither time did I worry about overheating.

I know you have a BRU gc, but just wanted to mention that e-children in Calgary has the KeyFit for $199 regular price.

Kids are up.

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone for your help and responses. I feel much better about the Metropolitan seat now if that is what we buy. I am going to check out the Keyfit again as well. I need to buy a seat, I could have this baby any day now. Now if anyone could name this little baby boy for me, (we do not have a name picked and are not even close to finding one we like) all my worries will be over!!!!!

snowbird25ca

Thank you everyone for your help and responses. I feel much better about the Metropolitan seat now if that is what we buy. I am going to check out the Keyfit again as well. I need to buy a seat, I could have this baby any day now. Now if anyone could name this little baby boy for me, (we do not have a name picked and are not even close to finding one we like) all my worries will be over!!!!!

Don't sweat the name. Both my kids were nameless for 24hrs, but when we finally did decide the name fit perfectly. ;)

TerisBoys

Another quick thought - you said you're 36 weeks and can go anytime?

Someone more in-tune with infant seats - how will the SR 22 do with a potential preemie?

featherhead

What if you save the gift card for when it's time to get a convertible seat? Then you could get the Keyfit from E-Children where it's slightly cheaper. If your baby is going to be early, I would definitely go with the Keyfit.:twocents:

canadiangie

What if you save the gift card for when it's time to get a convertible seat? Then you could get the Keyfit from E-Children where it's slightly cheaper. If your baby is going to be early, I would definitely go with the Keyfit.:twocents:

Yes, if baby is going to be on the smaller side a KF makes the most sense.

U

Unregistered

I am not sure if I should have started a new thread for my question or not. Let me know if I should start a new thread for this question.

I did end up getting the Snugride in the Metropolitan cover from BRU, my question now is about the handle position. I read in the manual that it is ok for it to be straight up or down even with the seat but not in any of the other positions. While I was out today dropping DS1 at school, everyone wanted to see the new baby and one mom made a comment about the handle being all the way up, I said I had read the manual and that it was ok but I would double check. I recall seeing handle position talked about on here but can't seem to find where I read it.

So are there additional safety reasons why the handle should not be up, is it a hazard to be up, does it provide better protection if the handle is down?

QuassEE

Because you haven't registered, it's easier to keep track this way :)

Firstly--congratulations!

The handle position issue--you CAN have it all the way up on the SnugRide, absolutely. I'm proud of those other parents for knowing that this isn't always the case with all seats, however. You can also have the handle position down--all the way down if the handle doesn't interfere with the install, and one click up from that. Not flush with the seat shell. The handle position should be documented on the side of the seat shell in the diagram picture, I believe? The picture is easier than explaining it :)

-Nicole.

Shanora

Did you buy the Snugride 22 or snugride 32?

Nicole, would that apply with the SR32 as well?? Or is that just with the lower weight SR?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC