Should I buy a spare base?

dogmelissa

Long story short, we have an Evenflo Embrace bucket seat with one base. Since there are a multitude of reasons why my car (1990 2-door Honda Civic) won't be used to transport our child(ren) except in case of an emergency (ie, the other car gets in a crash or it breaks down or my house is on fire when that car isn't here), our primary install will be in DH's car ('94 Pontiac Grand Am). The plan is that DH will take my car to work most days unless the weather is bad, but I know he'd still prefer to take his since a) he's more used to it and b) it's an automatic transmission so easier to drive (he hasn't driven a manual in over 10 yrs - that's what mine is).

The last few days I've been thinking that perhaps we should at least try to install the seat in my car just in case it's needed. I was sure that we could do this without the base but we've just re-read the instructions and nope, it needs the base. So I'm looking for opinions: should we get a second base for 'emergency' use (or the very rare potential day when I unexpectedly decide I need to go out or take the baby in someone else's car)? I'm not against doing this, but it costs $50 (unless it's safe and possible to get a used one?) and I'd rather not spend $50 on something I'm never going to use.

WWYD? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would just buy a cheap convertible. Will the embrace even fit in the other car with the handle down and 1 1/2" space between it and the rest of the car?

dogmelissa

I would just buy a cheap convertible. Will the embrace even fit in the other car with the handle down and 1 1/2" space between it and the rest of the car?

We haven't tried installing the Embrace in either car yet (it's on the agenda for today!) but I'm positive we can make it work in the Grand Am (it may not be in the middle of the back seat). I'm about 90% certain it will also fit in the Civic but again, maybe not in the middle, especially if I'm going to be driving the Civic, since I move the seat more forward than DH. If it won't fit in the middle on either car, it'll go behind the passenger seat, where I'm sure we can get enough clearance for the handle and still have a useable front seat (at least in the Grand Am, the front seat of the Civic may only be useable for my dog in that case)

You would suggest just not using the Embrace and going straight for a convertible, or getting a convertible as a 'spare'/in case of emergency seat for the Civic?

Melissa

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You would suggest just not using the Embrace and going straight for a convertible, or getting a convertible as a 'spare'/in case of emergency seat for the Civic?

Melissa

Either way, really, but I was thinking a convertible as a spare.

dogmelissa

Either way, really, but I was thinking a convertible as a spare.

Do you have a recommendation on a 'cheap convertible' as a spare? I don't know of any that are less than $50 and if we're not planning on using it (though it would have a longer useable life), not sure if that makes sense either.

Melissa

Pixels

The Scenera is often found under $50 in the US (more in Canada, though I'm not sure how much it runs up there). Or you could get a not-so-cheap convertible, let it be the spare for now, and when baby has outgrown the bucket and is ready for the convertible full-time, use the convertible you already have. At that point you can reevaluate and decide if you want to get a cheap convertible for a spare, or do without the spare.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
How much is the Scenera around you? I assume more than $50, but it would stay as you convertible in that car. When baby outgrows the infant bucket, just buy a convertible for the primary car.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How much is the Scenera around you? I assume more than $50, but it would stay as you convertible in that car. When baby outgrows the infant bucket, just buy a convertible for the primary car.

The Scenera ranges from $70 to $100.

For the money, I would strongly consider an Evenflo Titan which you can get on sale for $90. It would probably last to somewhere between 1.5 and 2yrs rf'ing, which would be long enough that you wouldn't be having to have the expense of a second seat for awhile... I'm just of the opinion that for the extra $20 or $30 I'd rather have a seat with EPS foam, especially if it's going to be used for a number of years potentially...

So far as if you should buy a spare base, if it fits in your car and you'd rather spend the $50 now and then buy a convertible when the baby is ready to move to one, then it's likely worth it.

I believe it was 2008 that the Embrace was changed to allow install without the base. Sucks that you have one requiring the base as it certainly makes life more difficult...

dogmelissa

I'm not even sure where to get this seat. Apparently at Walmart, which I won't shop at and I can't find any other retailer by doing a search. So I have no idea how much it costs.

I hate these kind of decisions.
Melissa

dogmelissa

We are planning to buy the new Radian XT, assuming that it'll fit in the Grand Am. I'm hoping that by the time we need it, we'll be able to install it more upright so it should fit better. I have my doubts on whether this would fit in the Civic - it probably would but then I bet I wouldn't have any use of my front passenger seat.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of a 'cheap' convertible, neither as a spare nor a 'move up' seat for later (and spare for now), but for just a little more money than a spare base, it does make more sense since it would work in a pinch now and also continue to be a spare for later. I know that they're all safe and price doesn't determine safety, but I really feel that a better seat (not necessarily safer, but more comfy, easier to adjust harness perhaps, better-quality fabric) is worth paying more for.

Maybe this is all a pointless thought because I'm not even sure if I could get a child into a seat in the back of the Civic, especially in a bucket! I have enough trouble just getting my Superstore bin full of groceries into the back seat; I'm not sure how I'd get a child in!
If it wasn't snowing and blowing so hard right this moment that I can barely see across the street I'd go try the Embrace in the Civic right now.

Stupid thought maybe: in a pinch can I install a car seat in the FRONT passenger seat of the Civic? There's no air bags and I'm honestly not sure that it'd be much safer in the back with the car being as small as it is. That would certainly take away a lot of the 'how the heck do I get this in the back' concerns and a small adult can get into the back seat without too much trouble if both of us had to go in the car (DH would have to drive cause I don't think he could get in the back).

Melissa

canadiangie

What is the DOM on your Embrace? Does it have rear harness adjust?

To answer your question, I would do nothing for now. Give yourself some time with the Embrace and see if you like it. You may find that after the initial few months of having a noob, and once the weather warms up a bit you're ready to move into a convertible full time. If that's the case you'll kick yourself for spending money on a secondary base or spending $100 on a convertible that you may not love (the titan and scenera are far from glorious... I'm not sure you'd want either as a full time permanent convertible).

So that's what I'd do.

Nothing.

How's that for making life easy. :p

dogmelissa

So, do you plan to get two XTs?

Oh goodness, no! If/when we move into the XT, we won't have a spare/back-up seat. Or at least we weren't planning on it.

Angie: The Embrace's DOM is Dec XX, 2006 (can't remember exact date). It says it's good until Dec 31, 2011. It has the harness tightener on the front but to move to the bigger harness slots you have to take the harness out through the back and re-run it through the slots. Not sure which part you were asking about.

The 'nothing' approach sounds pretty good to me.... though I think at the very least we should try the current Radian in the Grand Am to see if the XT will even fit. If not, then I'm gonna have to figure out what other options we have for a, as you put it, more 'glorious' convertible. (And of course this approach means we don't have to spend *any* money right now.)

Thanks!
Melissa

Pixels

Stupid thought maybe: in a pinch can I install a car seat in the FRONT passenger seat of the Civic? There's no air bags and I'm honestly not sure that it'd be much safer in the back with the car being as small as it is. That would certainly take away a lot of the 'how the heck do I get this in the back' concerns and a small adult can get into the back seat without too much trouble if both of us had to go in the car (DH would have to drive cause I don't think he could get in the back).

Melissa

You CAN put it in the front IF you are 100% sure there's no airbag and there's no law against it. Some areas have laws against putting a child up front.

Small car or not, airbags or not, the back seat is still safer than the front seat. I wouldn't put the child in the front unless it was absolutely necessary.

dogmelissa

You CAN put it in the front IF you are 100% sure there's no airbag and there's no law against it. Some areas have laws against putting a child up front.

Small car or not, airbags or not, the back seat is still safer than the front seat. I wouldn't put the child in the front unless it was absolutely necessary.

I'm 100% sure there's no airbag in the Civic. There isn't one in the steering wheel, the car doesn't even have power steering! (I've also owned this car for more than 4 years and have done extensive research on it, so for sure, no airbag.)

I'm fairly sure that there aren't any laws against a child in the front seat here, except in the cases where there is an airbag that can't be turned off. I know that the law does state something to the effect that if a vehicle has no back seat (as in a 2-door truck) and the airbag can't be switched off (as in some with the 1st generation), you actually have to go to the vehicle manufacturer and have the air bag disengaged for a car seat. But obviously in that situation you have no choice.

I would tend to agree with you that the front seat of any vehicle would NOT be my first choice, and certainly I wouldn't even CONSIDER doing so in the Civic as a full-time, permanent option. But if it's for a emergency trip because the other car broke down, there might not be any other choice.

Hmmmm, I just made a realization.... if the 'primary' car is in a crash with the car seat in it, I'm not going to take the seat and put it in the Civic PERIOD. I keep having this image of one of us being out with the baby in the Grand Am and having a minor crash (not like totally destroy the car but enough that it has to be towed) and just moving the seat into the Civic to get home. Granted that'd be a better scenario than no seat at all, but unless it's minus 20 outside and the middle of the night, we'd be picking up a NEW seat anyhow. So really the only situation that might apply would be if the Grand Am broke down, in which case we would just move the seat into the Civic to get home or if the baby isn't in the car, then find some other way to get home.

So I guess I just answered my own question, LOL. And we're back to the 'do nothing' option. Glad I've figured this out. Ha ha.

Thanks!
Melissa

dogmelissa

Just wanted to update on this.... after talking to DH over the weekend (we had plenty of time since we were stuck in the house!!), we decided to take the 'do nothing' route for now, but pick up the Radian XT sooner rather than later, once the baby has arrived. We realize that we will be losing a few months of useable life with this plan, but in the big scheme of things, I doubt that those few months will make a huge difference, and the Radian will still out-last the Embrace time-wise. We will have to get a second seat regardless if we have a 2nd baby, so we may consider skipping the bucket seat altogether for that child, or perhaps using the Embrace if there's any time left on it.

Thanks for all your help!
Melissa

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just wanted to update on this.... after talking to DH over the weekend (we had plenty of time since we were stuck in the house!!), we decided to take the 'do nothing' route for now, but pick up the Radian XT sooner rather than later, once the baby has arrived. We realize that we will be losing a few months of useable life with this plan, but in the big scheme of things, I doubt that those few months will make a huge difference, and the Radian will still out-last the Embrace time-wise. We will have to get a second seat regardless if we have a 2nd baby, so we may consider skipping the bucket seat altogether for that child, or perhaps using the Embrace if there's any time left on it.

Thanks for all your help!
Melissa

Glad you got it all figured out. :D

Just to clarify the law in AB, there is no law prohibiting transportation of a child in the front seat. So far as I'm aware there isn't even a law prohibiting it in the case of a front airbag - though with a rf'ing seat I could see a ticket being issued through the "proper use" part of the law since all rf'ing seats have warnings to not put in front of the airbag.. (And of course it's very dangerous.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC