Traveling with huge dog

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Okay, so after asking about removing a pet gate thing in the cargo area.. we took it out. We have a 2004 Suburban. We have a great dane puppy, who occasionally rides in the car. Problem is, she's now a 100lb projectile. She rides in the cargo space in the back. One of those petbuckle things aren't an option because she can barely sit on the seat with enough room... and we have leather seats that aren't exactly compatible with her nails.

So... do I put her plastic crate in the cargo space and she rides in that? I know if things in the back are below the rear bench, they can't fly forward, but what about something that is all one piece that is too big to be 100% below the seat back, so is it safe? What should I do?

ADS

Maedze

Well, I wouldn't recommend doing it with a child :p

If you won't put doggy in a pet buckle, and she has to be in the trunk, I'd do what I could to secure it to the vehicle.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Well, I wouldn't recommend doing it with a child :p

If you won't put doggy in a pet buckle, and she has to be in the trunk, I'd do what I could to secure it to the vehicle.

Well, crap... that was gonna be my next question. ;)

It's not that I won't put her in one... there's no safe place for her to ride in one. She can't sit up on the seat, and there's no room to lay down. She's a great dane... she's big and getting bigger.... there's just no room.

Current configuration... the 3 X's are car seats and the O is a seat that's folded down because RFing seat behind it wont fit with seat up.

__driver__ _______

____O___ ____X__

___X___________X_____

steph_s

My friends have one of those big mostly plastic airline crates in the back of their suv for their dane. It is actually bolted to the floor boards. They said it was really easy to install, but I wouldn't want to remove it once it was back there again that's for sure! It's rock solid and the dog is contained. What is really funny is that he uses the cage to put his tools in when the dog isn't with them so his tools don't become a projectile either. Works for them, but not sure if it would work for you considering it would sort of have to stay in the vehicle and who wants to carry around a huge dog cage full time!

LM4M

CPST Instructor
My friends have one of those big mostly plastic airline crates in the back of their suv for their dane. It is actually bolted to the floor boards. They said it was really easy to install, but I wouldn't want to remove it once it was back there again that's for sure! It's rock solid and the dog is contained. What is really funny is that he uses the cage to put his tools in when the dog isn't with them so his tools don't become a projectile either. Works for them, but not sure if it would work for you considering it would sort of have to stay in the vehicle and who wants to carry around a huge dog cage full time!

Yeah, bolting it down wouldn't be an option, because I would need that space when it comes to groceries and strollers, etc... and the darn thing takes up the whole back end. :rolleyes: Maybe we just need a smaller dog ;)

Kyras_Mama

A plastic crate can shatter on impact from a dog so then you have your 100 lb dog as a flying projectile plus plastic shrapnel. Is there a cargo anchor back there that you could hook her to using a petbuckle or ruffrider harness?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Is there a cargo anchor back there that you could hook her to using a petbuckle or ruffrider harness?

This is what I do. Car harness with a ratcheting tie-down (I leave enough slack to allow the dog to move around). I hook the tie down through multiple anchors though, to avoid overloading the anchors.

lovemyfamily

Just don't take the dog anywhere! LOL Thankfully when we have to take my dog, 85ish lbs. Great Pyrenees, we take DH's truck and she rides in her crate in the back, IN his camper shell.
I would use a crate and find a way to anchor it.

firemomof3

I would also buy a harness that can be attached to a cargo hook with the carabiner. I have one for my German Shepard and he doesn't mind it at all :) I can take a pic. if you'd like.

Stretchy Glue

A plastic crate can shatter on impact from a dog so then you have your 100 lb dog as a flying projectile plus plastic shrapnel. Is there a cargo anchor back there that you could hook her to using a petbuckle or ruffrider harness?

I'm not trying to argue, however, I've witnessed two horrific crashes where the plastic airline approved crate saved a dogs life. In both situations the crate was in the cargo area when the SUV's were rear ended at freeway speeds. The crate did not sustain any cracking what so ever, even though the vehicle was significantly damaged in the rear. In another instance, a trainer friend of mine had a plastic airline crate in the bed of his pick up when it flipped, and the crate slid about 30 yards down the freeway, and again was used to transport the dog from the scene.

In the OP's situation I would certainly use an XL Vari Kennel or similar sized crate, secured with ratchet style straps (not bungees that stretch) to the cargo hooks. In a crash severe enough to cause a plastic crate to shatter, there will be a lot more to worry about than flying plastic.:twocents:

My husband just spent the last 14 months working with field trial trainers during his lay off. During that time, he saw every conceivable option of dog transportation, including $150,000 dog trucks (2 of which in the last 2 years have been in severe crashes that either killed or severely injured the driver, but no dogs sustained injury). The trainers and the owners of these dogs consider their dogs like most of the people on here consider their children. Safety is their top priority.

Happily training and transporting dogs for 15+ years...

Stretchy Glue

Here is a comment from a professional trainer in my state. I emailed her and a few other trainer friends for their "crate testimony" knowing they have a lot more experience than me.

A crate is the proper way to protect both occupants of the vehicle and the dog.

Twenty years ago when I lived in AK, there was a plane crash in Homer AK. The small plane carried 22 people and 3 dogs (in plastic Vari-Kennels). The plane was overloaded and when it tried to land in Homer it missed the airstrip by a few feet.

The plane went cartwheeling down the strip. When it came to rest, 19 of the 22 people were dead (or died a few days later in the hospital). ALL THREE DOGS SURVIVED! Lee...

I am curious where the statement "plastic will shatter" has come from. I haven't found any evidence on this, and trainers, breeders and vets will all tell clients that a crate is the way to travel with your dog. In the dog world, crates are like car seats.

lovemyfamily

I have to agree with the 2 above posts and would feel TOTALLY comfortable with my dog in the back of my SUV, if I ever had to transport her that way, in her crate. IMHO the crates are made from some SERIOUSLY thick plastic. If THAT stuff is going to shatter, so is all the rest of the plastic in my vehicle, including parts of the carseats my kids ride in! If the crash is THAT severe, there is going to be broken glass flying everywhere, among other things.

Stretchy Glue

OP, if you decide the crate is the best option for your family, consider the quality of the crate. Vari Kennel (made by Petmate, but NOT Pemate crates) are extremely stout, and sturdy. They are also significantly more expensive. I have so many different crates, and my Vari Kennel with metal door AND windows is hands down the sturdiest plastic of all of them. They have also been around longer than a lot of the economical brand crates.

4boysmom

Yeah thinking about it my guess is quality pet crates are made of a thick high quality plastic much like child carseat plastic. Carseats don't shatter on impact (the ones thrown from cars when not properly installed, or from seat belt/LATCH ).

Stretchy Glue

Yeah thinking about it my guess is quality pet crates are made of a thick high quality plastic much like child carseat plastic. Carseats don't shatter on impact (the ones thrown from cars when not properly installed, or from seat belt/LATCH ).

We know that carseats sometimes fight the sledge hammer too. If you buy a "lightweight" crate (which many advertise this as a feature) you're likely getting weaker plastic. I know that my cheapo crate is a ton lighter than my Vari kennel. I've used my Vari kennel as a step but the other one is too soft to comfortably sit on.

Stretchy Glue

This just came to me today. This would be a really nice crate to get ahold of. Anchored down in the Suburban, this wouldn't shatter, would protect your dog like a car seat would, and would totally be worth the money. I will most certainly be buying 2 of these when finances allow. These are freaking awesome!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HHjqv0Hm-c"]YouTube- TruckTuff Kennel by TruckVault[/ame]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC