New seat decisions.....

Anne

DD is almost 18 months. Last I checked she was 20.6 lbs and 31". She's currently in a True Fit. I drive a 2 door '04 cavalier. My parents have offered to buy a seat for use in their car and even said it can live at our place, so it could be our second for DH's. Their limit is $200.

I've been becoming increasingly concerned about having her in a seat that tethers rear facing (or arb). If we get one that does, DH and I could pay the difference, and her current True Fit could become the spare. But to be honest we really shouldn't be spending any money that's not totally necessary right now. And though their limit is $200, I hate to milk them for every penny of it, ya know?

Tethered options:
Britax: too big for my little car with those bases.
Radian: would love one, but I'm worried about install...any experience with my car?
TFP: Just feels like a boring option lol. Since we've already got a TF and I like it, but don't LOVE it. And no cute covers! but I guess it might be our best option if I want rebound protection.

So I can go kind on my parents since it won't be used often and have them get the Scenera (which DH doesn't like because it's not very soft). I can go middle of the road and get a MyRide. Or we can make up the difference and get a TFP and make her current seat the backup.

So here's my questions:

1) How important is rebound protection to you for an older rear facer? Something you'd go out of your way and spend extra money to get?

2) Would you make a True Fit a spare for grandparents to use with it's annoying, not so user friendly buried harness adjuster?

3) If you were in my position, which would you get, the Scenera, the MyRide, the TFP, or try for a Radian?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's important to me, but if it puts you over budget I would not do it. I have a child in a non-tetherable RF seat, because it's the only one that allows her to ride RF in our car, and I feel that is safer than FF, tethered or not.

I'd probably try a MyRide if I were you. Though if the Britax seats are too high, it may not work. (The Roundabout 50 tethers RF, and is also in that price range.)

Anne

I'd probably try a MyRide if I were you. Though if the Britax seats are too high, it may not work. (The Roundabout 50 tethers RF, and is also in that price range.)

I've only tried the Boulevard and it was way too big. How does the profile compare on the RA? I haven't tried a MyRide in the car either, but if we get the MR, I'll probably keep the TF as the primary anyway so the MR would go in my mom's 4-runner most of the time.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Britax big shell seats are all really the same size, but I find that the wings can be part of the problem with the BV-- so you might try it out?

emandbri

The my ride has such deep sides it might be really hard to get her in and out of the seat. Do you have any stores near you that have a radian you see how it fits? I wonder if someone here is near you and has one you can try.

The evenflo triumpth advanced might work well. hum

Anne

The my ride has such deep sides it might be really hard to get her in and out of the seat. Do you have any stores near you that have a radian you see how it fits? I wonder if someone here is near you and has one you can try.

The evenflo triumpth advanced might work well. hum

The MR would go in my mom's SUV, so the fit of that seat is fine. I have never seen a RN in store around here. I had my chance during my tech class cuz they had 2 RN's and I didn't use it to it's full potential lol. I tried it FF, outboard, using the seatbelt. It was in, and technically passable, but neither I nor my instructor were totally happy with it. Neither of us could get it in any better. BUT, I was silly and didn't try it with LATCH, or in the center, or RF. I was only experimenting with installs and wasn't too concerned about the specific seat at the time.

Is it likely to give me problems installing any which way, since it didn't work in that one scenario? That'd be awesome if someone lived close enough to me and would be willing to let me try it out!

DH has axed the EFTA because he hates the side harness adjuster and how it 'clicks' as you turn it. I have a DH who is incredibly on board with car seat safety. I love that, and I'm not complaining, but it does mean he ends up checking out the seats enough to find reason to veto some of them. He really doesn't want the Scenera, either.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Where do you live? Someone might have a Radian. :)

I don't suppose you're near me-- I'd love to have a go at it in your car. ;) I hear "I didn't get a good install on the Radian" and I take that as a challenge! I've found 3 cars that it was very difficult in but I ended up with a very solid install, and I've found 2 cars where it was absolutely incompatible. (I've heard of others but I've personally encountered 2.)

Anne

Where do you live? Someone might have a Radian. :)

I don't suppose you're near me-- I'd love to have a go at it in your car. ;) I hear "I didn't get a good install on the Radian" and I take that as a challenge! I've found 3 cars that it was very difficult in but I ended up with a very solid install, and I've found 2 cars where it was absolutely incompatible. (I've heard of others but I've personally encountered 2.)

I'm in Utah. Davis/Weber county area.

Do the covers from TF's fit the TFP's? I really wish they had more exciting/colorful options.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know if the TF covers would fit the TFP-- my first thought is maybe not but maybe someone has tried it.

I know there are Radians in Utah! Holly has 2, I know we have lots of other members there so maybe one of them has Radians too. If you PM some of them they might be willing to get together. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I have read a couple threads on here that the TFP/TF covers are interchangeable.

As for the MR, it take up the same space or even slightly less, front-to-back than the TF in my vehicle. Sides are higher though, which may or may not matter to you, it will depend on how you buckle your child in; do you do it from outside or do you climb in the back seat? If you climb in the back seat, I don't think the higher sides will make a difference. I stand outside my vehicle (which is 4 doors, so not at all the same as you) but I initially hated the high sides and now I am actually loving them because it puts DD up higher and less leaning for me to buckler her (and I am SHORT AND we have a tall vehicle so low seats aren't a problem, I was just surprised when higher up was actually easier!).

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

I'd try the complete air, the myride, and the EFTA (it has a base, but it really fits marvelously in smaller cars)

Holly

I got your pm and searched for this thread. I'd love to meet up, I have 2 radians and I'm in Davis County too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC