Another preemie question

U

Unregistered

Hello,

My son was born last Monday, 5.5 weeks early. Yesterdays weight was 4lb, 15oz. He is 17.75 inches. He is not in NICU, but has been in the nursery. They took him off the monitors today and said he may be able to go home this weekend. However, the Peg Perego SIP we used on our 3.5 yr old daughter will be too big for him. That's unfortunate since we have the seat and 3 bases(guess I can sell them on Craigslist). So, we need to find something fast since that pretty much leaves tomorrow to pick it up. The hospital said less than 5.5 inches to the straps/bottom and seatback/end of seat. They also recommended the Chicco KeyFit, Evenflow model #'s 3961613L1 + 5491634A and Graco SnugRide models #'2 A645THR2 + JJ0403061147. Of these, I can only find the KeyFit and the standard SnugRide (don't know if there is a diffrence in model #'s since they gave us two).

Basically, I need something safe, that will fit, is light (the SIP is heavy for my 5ft wife), easy to snap in and carry. I also don't want to break the bank buying a new seat and bases. Any quick recommendations are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Of the 3 seats you listed, only the Keyfit is actually rated for your baby's weight. The SnugRide and all the Evenflo seats have a minimum weight limit of 5 lbs. The Keyfit starts at 4.

The other seat I would recommend is the Safety 1st OnBoard (aka Eddie Bauer Sure Fit.) It's a bit cheaper than the Keyfit, although a bit bigger, and also rated from 4 lbs. and comes with an insert that helps preemies fit very well. (The Keyfit also has an insert but it is not quite as snug for preemies.)

Diapers.com carries both these seats, if you need help finding a deal we can help you get one, and they have free 2 day shipping-- it would be there by this weekend.

ETA: if you price match the OnBoard here and then use the 10% off new customer code on diapers.com, you could get it for $76.49 shipped and it would be there in 1-2 days.

Price match the Keyfit in Fuego here and use the 10% off code, and it would be $111.40 shipped, there in 1-2 days.

If you used a referral code and added diapers under $10 to your order (they have some Luvs that are less than that) you could get a free pack of diapers and another $3-4 off. (Feel free to PM me if you need a code!)

I have ordered from Diapers.com and they really do get stuff there the next day sometimes. It's impressive. :)

U

Unregistered

Thanks! Do they have extra bases? I am on my iPhone and the search is taking forever.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Chicco extra bases run about $60-80 unless you hit a sale. I can look up OnBoard extra bases for you. :)

Okay, diapers.com carries the Keyfit bases. Price match here and use the discount and you could get one for $45. I think they will only price match one of each item though, although you can call and ask. So the others would run you $63 or so if you wanted more than one extra.

I'm not finding extra bases for the OnBoard online, but I know they carry them at my Babies R Us. You can call Dorel to find out about having them shipped directly to you, too. At my Babies R Us they have them priced at about $50.

And of course you can use either seat without the base.

AlishaNC82

A little off topic, but Diapers.com also carries the preemie diapers.With their online coupons for new accounts it will save you a few extra dollars and get a pack of diapers that you will definitely need. My son was 5 lb 12 oz at birth and was in preemies for a least a month.

So you will save at least $4, if you buy the cheapest pack, off your car seat with that deal.

You could also use the Peg Perego SIP later once the baby grew into it and then you will be able to use the extra bases too.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
About selling you SIP, check the date of manufacter. They are good for 5 years. So, if you do sell, you should keep that in mind.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC