Need advice on which seat for a preschooler in a school bus

cande

Hi - posted a while back about my 3 y/o dd going to a public preschool via bus with "curb to curb" transportation. I assumed the SD would have buses with integrated seats of some sort; I was mistaken. You need to provide your own seat and the bus driver installs/uninstalls daily. Clearly not ideal, but it is what I have to work with.

Currently my dd is 3 y/o 36 1/2" and 32#. her daily "ride" is a Graco Nauti, 2d slot. Looking for recomendations for something less expensive that is strightforward to install in this scenario. The seat will get a lot of on and off every day (Install at pick up at home, out of bus at school, reinstalled when school is over and transported to daycare, out of the bus and stored at daycare the rest of the day, and then into my trunk at the end of the day to be ready for the next mornings install). Maybe an Avenue? a CarGo?

TIA!!

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We use a Evenflo Chase - $70 or so at Target - for our curb-to-curb bus scenerio. It works well in our situation.

scoutingbear

I agree with the Chase (and I happen to have one that is no longer needed :whistle: ). It is easy to use, the chest clip can only be positioned in teh correct place, it has tall harness slots (both my boys outgrew it by weight before height...and C is ALL torso), and very light weight. It has been C's seat at my parents house until last week when I weighed him.

cande

Thanks for the recommendation. Found the Chase cheapest at Walmart - plan to do ship to store. We start curb to curb 1/11. Hope I dont have a panic attack :)

U

Unregistered

We got the Chase after reading this post but the bus driver is saying they are having trouble installing the seat and it is loose. The driver says "its very difficult to get the buckle through the back of the car seat and will not tighten down against the seat. It may be the angle." Anyone have any similar problems with booster seat installation on a bus? Our son is 2.5 y.o.
Thanks.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
We got the Chase after reading this post but the bus driver is saying they are having trouble installing the seat and it is loose. The driver says "its very difficult to get the buckle through the back of the car seat and will not tighten down against the seat. It may be the angle." Anyone have any similar problems with booster seat installation on a bus? Our son is 2.5 y.o.
Thanks.

Are you able to observe the driver installing the seat? That would be the easiest way to see what's going on.

My guess is that they are having trouble getting the seatbelt threaded (it's not a wide belt path). IMO, Evenflo really biffed it when they removed the front flap that allowed access to the belt path.

It also may be that the seat belt buckles have long stalks. As a result they are getting caught on the edge of the seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Also, remember that bus drivers do not have to take a class and installing car seats. They may not have the knowledge needed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC