Pics of us in seats... late 80's/early 90's

Ok so the baby in the carrier is my brother...he's now 20, born in September 89 so this was right around 1990. I wondered if that was even a car seat or just a carrier but I think it's a car seat! :confused:

The second pic is my sister born in 88 in the center riding in some kind of scary booster! I am on the far left with my friend DOUBLED UP with no shoulder belt OMG :eek:

Oh dear...I am so glad we never had an accident...

My 20 yr old bro born in 89
scan0007.jpg

Me born in 85 and my friend "doubled up" omg... my little sis born in 88 in the center/booster
scan0012.jpg

And here's one of my little cousins...she is now 13, born in June 96.
scan0025.jpg

Hope you enjoy these...I'll be dead impressed with anyone who names all 3 seats :thumbsup:

ADS
Oh- just a thought...isn't that third infant seat the same one the Duggar's were using up until this year? :eek: I might be wrong but it looks similar...

Maedze

The last one is an Evenflo Joyride, I think.

Not sure about the middle, Gerry and Dorel were the two big shield booster producers though.

I'm not 100% sure the first one *is* an infant carrier, but I don't know for sure.

canadiangie

I don't think the first one is an actual car seat.

The last one is a Joyride. And other than the belly clip (which is actually threaded correctly) and the aftermarket snuzzler thingy I'm amazed at how tight the harness is. That seat wasn't easy to tighten. It involved going into a trap door on the back/underside of the seat, and then back-threading the tail end of the harness strap. Most people didn't tighten it at all, and if they did they tied the end in a knot to keep it 'secure', lol. Good times.

The last one is a Joyride. And other than the belly clip (which is actually threaded correctly) and the aftermarket snuzzler thingy I'm amazed at how tight the harness is. That seat wasn't easy to tighten. It involved going into a trap door on the back/underside of the seat, and then back-threading the tail end of the harness strap. Most people didn't tighten it at all, and if they did they tied the end in a knot to keep it 'secure', lol. Good times.

Wow! I'll have to give my aunt some credit for that then! Yeah I saw it and thought to myself "damn...they were selling those snuzzler things back then too!" That's a super thick one too :eek:

Mom2FiveGirls

I'm pretty sure the first one is not a car seat. My sister (born in 1990) had something similar and it was just a carrier/bouncy seat type thing. I'm going to have to go through old pictures next time I go home and see if I can find any of me or my siblings in car seats! :)

I remember doubling up in seat belts too...if we even wore one at all! *I was born in 1981*.

djma

Way OT here - but I so wish NUK would make the clear or all white passies again! I like the colored ones - but I would really like a plain one too!

Maedze

Way OT here - but I so wish NUK would make the clear or all white passies again! I like the colored ones - but I would really like a plain one too!

I think Bean the First had a clear Nuk with a blue center. (silicon, not latex). That was five years ago though....

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I never rode in a car seat.
Or belt, for that matter...not until I was 16 and learned to drive and learned about wearing them.
Ya, go parents.

I'm pretty sure the first one is not a car seat. My sister (born in 1990) had something similar and it was just a carrier/bouncy seat type thing. I'm going to have to go through old pictures next time I go home and see if I can find any of me or my siblings in car seats! :)

I remember doubling up in seat belts too...if we even wore one at all! *I was born in 1981*.

I'd like to know what went through parents heads thinking that doubling up two kids in an adult belt was ok... I remember doing it all the time. I guess it was seen as acceptable and perfectly safe for some unknown reason. I remember it well and never gave it much thought until now but looking at that picture I was like :eek: %&*$#? mom!

tracee877

The last one is one of the very first On My Way's, not a Joy Ride. The Joy Ride had a handle thingy at the bottom. The booster was an Evenflo I think that was a convertible that had a detachable back.

ETA: Booster is the Evenflo 7 Year.

Here's the Joy Ride:

images

On My Way:

images

MANDY1234

My brother (born in umm 1997??) had a on my way :eek: I got a picture some where...

I don't remember ever riding in a car seat (1982 here) My dad and step mom told me carseats are stupid and I never rode in one and am just fine :thumbsdown: I don't remmeber my sister riding in one past an infant seat (1986) and never past a year for any of us...even my brother who is only 10 :eek::eek::eek: Oh wait there was on toddlar seat an OHS that the 12 yr old road in until the 10 yr old was born...I do remember that lol

My parenst SUCKED! I never wore a seat belt time I was 16 and in my own car either lol

AllieCanada

That is exactly what my sister did with my nephew. She knew (and still knows) nothing about car seat safety. Luckily enough my nephew is now 14

canadiangie

The last one is one of the very first On My Way's, not a Joy Ride. The Joy Ride had a handle thingy at the bottom. The booster was an Evenflo I think that was a convertible that had a detachable back.

ETA: Booster is the Evenflo 7 Year.

Here's the Joy Ride:

images

On My Way:

images

I think we (in Canada) must not have gotten the OMW right away. The only one's I can remember had the 'updated' paper clip style chest clip -- not the Joyride one.

Anne

I have no idea what I rode in and doubt there are any pictures of me in a car seat. But I have to give my mom major kudos. I was born in '81 and she kept me in a carseat until over age 3. She describes it as a T-shield type. She knows I was in one the summer I turned 3, but she can't remember how long past that. She said she just knew it was really important. They seriously did NOT have money (we lived in a small converted barn when I was born), so to have me in anything took really, really wanting it. Of course, she was in two accidents growing up that she shouldn't have survived, so that might have helped her decision!

Oh and my brother was born in '85 and was in one at least as long. I'll have to ask my mom if she has any pics.

MoreLatte

I think the booster is an Evenflo that converted from a convertible to a booster, pretty ingenious for the 90's. (I was a carseat geek even before I had kids,lol)

I think the booster is an Evenflo that converted from a convertible to a booster, pretty ingenious for the 90's. (I was a carseat geek even before I had kids,lol)

Haha it's ok! I am a car seat geek and I don't have my own children yet either :) I guess working as a nanny started it though :whistle: That picture was probably exactly 1990 as Emilie was born in August 1988...she looks to be right about 2- not 3 but I could be wrong- it could be 1991.

emandbri

It could be an evenflo seven year. Here is Daniel in one. I did a car seat talk for a mops group and a mom there had it and after I told her it was WAY too old to use she let me keep it! :D

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=616336&postcount=13

I had quite a few old seats that I had to get rid of when we moved from a ranch with a full basement to a split level. :(

emthecountrycat

the first one is a "carrier" NOT ment for the car idk the 2nd and the third is the evenflo on my way. i played with one about 5 years ago and it was pretty hard to adjusted. it adjusted on one side and you had to push and pull at the same time...

i'm only 21 but i remember going from the trunk to the front sit well my mom was driving! i was put FF at 3 months and i never knew what a booster was till i was like 13!!!

HEVY

My DD2 had that first infant carrier (different pattern), I loved it, was actually going to post about it on the things you loved/hated thread. And I had that last seat, the pretty colorful one for my DS2 back in 2000.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC