Would you be Ok with this?

nevaehsmommy

We are going on a Four hour drive over two major hwys. We will be leaving the house at dusk.

My daughter is 33-37 # depending on when she last ate and if she has had a b.m. I have her FFing in a true fit.

I am wanting to know if she is more in the 35-37# pound range if you would let YOUR child ride RFing for the trip.

Also we will be borrowing a honda oddysey van. If I were to put her FFing can I recline the captains chair a bit to let her sleep better.

ADS

Maedze

The True Fit has a max weight limit of 35 pounds, not 35-37 :twocents: She needs to be forward facing :thumbsup:

nevaehsmommy

I knew the weight limit. I was just hoping that it would not be like life or death if I did do it and G-d forgive we were in an accident.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It could be life or death if she is over the weight limit. She is far safer forward-facing and tethered than rear-facing over the limit.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If she is OVER 35, ,I would FF her. If she were 35 or under, I would RF her.
That's my personal decision and the way *I* interpret weight limits.
I know many people, including many techs on here, think that if a seat has a 35 lb limit, that means you turn AT 35 pounds. I believe you can still RF at 35, but have to FF at 36.
I would weight her and see what the weight is. IF necesary, I would absolutely do things like leave her shoes off in order to have her be under the weight limit, but I wouldn't try to stretch it or say "36 is close enough..." Not at 3.5. If we were talking about a MUCH younger child, say under 24 months, I *might* be willing to take the risk that a child 1 pound over the limit was less of a risk than a FFing 1 year old, but it would be a very difficult decision, and not one I'd ever advise anyone to make, only myself personally.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ff her. Especially if her weight fluctuates from day to day. I am not comfortable exceeding a weight limit at all - especially when the child is old enough to be safe ff'ing.

Not sure about recline that Honda allows, but I know the TF installs with quite a natural recline - that may be sufficient enough without reclining the seat back. I wouldn't recommend reclining the seat back to create extra recline if the vehicle manual doesn't tell you to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC