Canadian vs. American Marathon

amyd

Do we know one way or the other if there is really a difference? I weighed my DS & my daycare kiddo this morning & both are pushing 28-29 lbs:eek: And that's without shoes. How comfortable would you be pushing the 30lb RFing limit? I know the MA used to RF to 33 in Canada & RF to 35 in the US. I'm not really comfortable turning either child. I'm planning to get a new XT, just got off the phone with the guy at Junior Baby & he said 2 weeks. So what would you do? Push the limit on the MA? Turn someone around? I definitely would not turn the daycare kiddo (although he's already FFing in his parent's vehicles)...he's still got a massive baby head & isn't even walking yet (17 months). My DS is 19 months, been walking for 5 months & is much more proportional, but I don't want to turn my kid, either! Maybe I'll just stay home for a few weeks...LOL. Or I could go buy a My Ride & then sell both the Marathon & the True Fit after I get the Radian:whistle: I've been wanting a MR anyway & this is a great excuse:p

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If we've learned one thing from Marathon crash tests, it's to NOT push the weight limits of the seat AT ALL. If you want to keep them rear-facing, get higher weight RF seats. Sounds like you're planning that in about 2 weeks (make that 4, as everything is always late in life..) But at 28-29lbs, I don't think 2-4 weeks is going to make or break that 30lb mark. I would be comfortable using the 30lb stickered Marathon TO and AT 30lbs, fully clothed, but I would recommend not using it beyond that at this point.

I probably sang a different tune a few years ago, admittedly.. but it's hard to ignore the mounting evidence that the Marathon might well perform as needed TO the limits, but not beyond.

So yes, you have your excuse for some new seats ;) My daughter is hovering at 41lbs, which makes rear-facing once again highly unlikely ;) She's 4, though.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

I'm in full agreement with Nicole. (And can vouch for the turn around in opinion. I think my jaw dropped a bit. ;))

If you weighed them fully dressed with boots on, pull the boots off for the next 2wks. I wouldn't push the 30lbs, but it's unlikely either kid is going to just all the sudden gain enough weight to go over the limit in less than 2wks.

Or you could just go buy a MR. ;)

QuassEE

It's easier to recommend not pushing the limits now, because we have so many great seats out there that do have higher RF weight limits.. :)

amyd

Thanks, ladies, I appreciate your thoughts. You've both confirmed my thoughts about the situation. Thankfully, my daycare kiddo is a teacher's child & we've only got 2 weeks until Christmas break. So until then, I'll be limiting the driving I do with both boys & hopefully, I'll have a Radian by the time I get him back in January. Unless I can talk DH into letting buy a MR, that is:whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC