How many seat check events do you do?

TiaxMarie

I am trying very hard to be active in our community and do as many check events as possible. Lately, I've only been making it to one-two a month, and I missed last month.

There are 3 every month in my area, but at the moment I can only commit to one, and I wish I could do more.

ADS

Maedze

I'm limited by the weather. Ours start up in the spring and continue pretty regularly through the fall...anywhere from 1-5 a month and I try to get to as many as possible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
One to two a month this spring/summer. But I don't know what I'll do with Laine, now. Maybe for the ones I get paid for I'll bring someone along with me to watch her. And not do ones I don't get paid for, since I'd be out of pocket for the babysitter.

I also do private checks, and those used to range from anywhere to none a week to eight in a week.

Wendy

NVMBR02

Well, I became a tech. when I was 18 weeks pg so I haven't been as active as I would like. I have done 3 events since March. Now that dd is older and is taking a bottle I hope to do more. I am limited to when dh is home or when MIL can watch the kids though. I still hope to do at least 6 a year.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We only do one a month generally, sometimes 2 in the summer months. It's are I miss more than 1 a year.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
For me, it averages out to about one a month. There aren't many events in the winter, but from March-November I usually do one per month plus an extra one a couple of months. I primarily do my checks with one big-city Safe Kids coalition, but really I could be as busy as I wanted to be since there are lots of active groups within 45 minutes of my house.

However, since I do this strictly as a volunteer, and most of the events I do are on Saturday and I'm gone from about 8-4, I do have to limit it. DH is incredibly supportive, but it's just not fair to leave him home with all three kids all day more often than I do.

I can't imagine that anyone would complain about a volunteer tech "only" working 1-2 events per month. I think 1-2 is great if you can do it. :thumbsup:

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
We try to schedule 1 a month, usually with no checks in July or August since it's so hot here in FL. I have been to almost all of them since I got certified about a year and half ago.

amyd

We do them bi-monthly September-June (the location we use is closed on Saturdays in July & August). We'd like to be able to do monthly, but with only 4-6 techs available, it's hard for people to commit to every month.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Our SafeKids isn't very active. They have like 1 or 2 a YEAR if that, and I've contacted them multiple times (e-mail and phone messages to the coordinator) and never got a response. :rolleyes:

So I gave up on that, and hooked up with an agency called Kids Are 1st. They do child ID kits and seat check events. Whenever they have one in the L.A. area that's on a Saturday, I try my darndest to go. :) Sometimes it's months between, sometimes it's every weekend for a month.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
I try to participate once a month at seat check events as much as I am able. My local SK also has a monthly clinic that I'm going to try to start volunteering for as well.

Pixels

There is no SafeKids here. I was going to the next region and working a check there (check is once a month on Saturdays, I made about half of them) but now that checkpoint is closed. The firefighters/EMTs/whatevertheyare were getting paid OT for working the check. They are no longer getting the OT (not sure if they're getting paid regular rate or not getting paid) and so they won't work the check any more. I, of course, was volunteering.

Anne

I've only done one other than the one at the end of my class. There haven't been any more checks since. I'm assuming they just don't do them through the winter around here as it does get quite cold (Northern Utah). I'm hoping they pick up in the spring. I would like to help with one a month. I don't think I'll really try for more than that because I don't want to take from our family time. Although if they are just 2 hour checks in the evening like the last one I did, I could do 2 or more a month, but not if they're all day Saturday events.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
1-4 a week. (5-8 hours per event)

Keep in mind I charge for appointments, so I am able to devote a lot more time and resources to putting on events.

fyrfightermomma

4-5 events a month through the fire dept and random other appts during the month

During the summer, I also try to do 1-2 safekids checks per month

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I did 17 official carseat check "events" (open 10-2 on a Saturday) plus several presentations/small events this year. I could do more of the small presentation type things, working on how that will work out.

oxeye

My area has events monthly and I have done all of them since becoming a tech. I am pretty sure I will be able to keep doing that the first half of next year, but starting in July (when school gets super crazy busy) I don't think I will be able to. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC