What booster to use in back of a 93 Chevy?

mrs_teeee67

The 'bench seat' has only a lap belt in the middle. There are no head rests built in to the seat... and it's too 'narrow' from front to back for her Sunshine Kids Radian to fit. She is about to outgrow the Radian. I'm getting her a Monterey for my car *Mazda 626* once she actually DOES outgrow the Radian. I need something that will go in the back of hubby's truck though so she isnt' always in the front seat.

I'm 'assuming' a high back since there are no head rests.. and after that I'm needing info. Side with lap/shoulder? center w/lap only? Help :)

ADS

Maedze

Side with lap shoulder, in a booster :) Lap belts are only good for harnessed car seat installations or zombie invasion.

I'm a little confused about the fit problem with the Radian. I understand she's about to outgrow it anyway, but could you expand on that? :eek:

mrs_teeee67

She's 7 and is 17" high torso measurement sitting flat. Just topped 62 lbs,, so she's just outgrowing the Radian.

The 'fit' problem with the truck is that the seat is so 'thin' back there. The Radian hangs off the front ALOT if we try to install it in the back seat. So she's had to go into the front seat in the truck *no airbag there*

Maedze

Ooooo I think I understand. Is this one of those 'extended cab' kind of benches?

Do you think at least 80% of the Radian was on the base of the seat?

mrs_teeee67

In the front she's in the Radian 65

Hubby just informed me the biggest problem was it hitting the glass and that 'pushing' it forward too much.

Yes, the back seat of an 'extended cab' type truck... so 'skinny seat' so to speak

mrs_teeee67

Sorry for the long gaps,, we had to go to the store and now I have to go meet my oldest to pick up some stuff from last night :) I'll keep checking for info and advice and answer any other questions to figure this out

babygirlsmom1005

I have a 90 & 91 X Cab and to be quite honest, I don't think a HBB will really fit back there and leave any legroom for her to have with the seat in front of her (only allowed outboard as explained above except in the case of zombies :p).

How much "hangover" do HBB's allow? Do they even allow hangover?

I know when my DD goes anywhere with DH (in the trucks - I have the suburban), she's in the front seat because NOTHING will be back there within the 80% of the carseat on the seat (but she is also no where close to a booster seat at 4 years old and have just put a convertible back there "to see")

babygirlsmom1005

How about a travel vest? http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

I know a tech will need to chime in to see about overhang on booster seats, if it's allowed or not, I'm not sure if it is.

I have a Graco Turbo Booster that's on loan to a neighbor or I'd go and put it in to see how it fit back there in our 91 X-Cab Silverado.....

Maedze

A travel vest will only work if there is a head rest back there which there isn't, otherwise that would have been my first suggestion :(

Maedze

Errr that's right :(

How about the hangover on booster seats? Is it allowed? Is it the same as carseats?

With the exception of a few Graco seats which require 100%, boosters generally have the same rule; 80% must be on the vehicle seat. If the Radian doesn't meet the 80% rule, unfortunately no booster is going to either :thumbsdown:

Spam

I just wanted to say we have this same truck and sucks for carseats! I'm hoping to get our rn installed in the back rf, but I haven't had time to try it. The two times he's had to ride in there it's been up front. I hope you find something that works! :)

babygirlsmom1005

With the exception of a few Graco seats which require 100%, boosters generally have the same rule; 80% must be on the vehicle seat. If the Radian doesn't meet the 80% rule, unfortunately no booster is going to either :thumbsdown:

That's what I thought.

I guess the best thing to do in your situation is have the carseat/booster seat up front and if everyone has to go somewhere, a adult will need to sit in the back with S/L belt - that is what we had to do when our daughter was a baby and it was the only thing we had until later on.

mrs_teeee67

So far, anytime we've had to go in the truck, I have sat in the back and she is upfront. Hubby took her somewhere the other night though, with the 17 year old and he put chick in the back, in the middle.. he figured she'd be ok there *grrrrrr, sigh* So I'm desperately trying to find something that will just 'stay' back there so we NEVER have this issue again

Spam

I'm curious.. the front passenger has a belt with two retractors, one at top and one at bottom. Both belts connect on a plate, I know that can't be used with some carseats, but what about boosters?

Maedze

I'm curious.. the front passenger has a belt with two retractors, one at top and one at bottom. Both belts connect on a plate, I know that can't be used with some carseats, but what about boosters?

You can use that with a booster.

If the lap belt is ALR, you can use it with a harnessed child restraint. If it's ELR, you'd need a belt shortening clip.

bubbaray

Possibly a Clek Oto might work, though they aren't sold in the US. The other Clek LBB (the name escapes me) might work too, and its sold in the US. Its about the same depth as a Radian. OP, if you could take a picture of the RN installed on the back bench, that would be helpful so we can see the amount of overhang.

Other than that, either a vest of some sort or have her sit in the front seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC