pet buckle kwik connect tether?

teekadog

I have my 50(+?)lb dog in a Pet Buckle (in theory :eek: ) but he gets car sick easily, and the pet buckle always pushes him over the edge. I think it might be because he has no freedom of movement because I'm just using the seatbelt. Would the kwik connect tether be worth it? He sits in his own bucket seat in the back, and stays calm in his seat. He just needs the freedom to sit up or lie down easily, depending on what his tummy needs.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
What is the latch limit in your car?

When buckling him, and you trying to 'install' him tight? I buckle, and do not tighten.

teekadog

What is the latch limit in your car?

Mazda defers to the carseat manufacturer.

When buckling him, and you trying to 'install' him tight? I buckle, and do not tighten.

I just run the seatbelt through the loop and buckle him, so it's loose. He's fine in the harness, but once it's buckled he kind of freaks out. He's an anxious boy, you see. He has freedom of movement with the seatbelt, but he perceives himself to be tethered and balks.

teekadog

The dog, the car, or the Pet Buckle?

We got the dog two months ago, so... sporadically for two months. It's often drying, having been barfed on.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, so a fairly new experience for the dog. I would treat it like booster training for a kid. Start out with short trips, with rewards. Also how tight do you have the pet buckle itself?

teekadog

It started out pretty loose, but I'm getting the hang of tightening it so it doesn't constrict him but doesn't slide around on him.

All our trips are short. About 10 minutes is his threshold before barfing. And I can't give treats. They'd come right back up.

Do you think while he's getting the hang of it that I could try a locking clip to keep the seat belt extended?

And thank you for your continued help.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I figure the pet buckle is the keep a large projectile from killing me, and hope that the large projectile actually stays alive. So, you want to add a locking clip? Do it.

One thing, after a crash, I would take said large projectile to a vet, asap. I would want them to be checked out.

How old is the dog? Was he a rescue?

teekadog

WELL, after the barf fest yesterday when we didn't even make it out of the neighborhood (yes, he had the pet buckle on), I think we'll just take a hiatus from bringing him in the car.

He's an 8-9 month old rescue. I'm really hoping he outgrows the carsickness. On long trips he wears the pet buckle quite successfully because he's tranquilized. I've been trying to take him on short trips in town because 1.) I thought it might help him get over the carsickness and 2.) he really needs the socialization and 3.) he's a big baby and doesn't like to be away from his family.

teekadog

He's crate trained and happy to be there at night when we're in bed (his crate is in our bedroom), but he cries like a baby when he's shut there when we leave the house. We've had to tie the crate together because otherwise he busts out. But he's never chewed through the rope, and he's always calm when we get home, so I think it's mostly show. I don't want to leave him in the backyard when we leave the house because there are just too many chances to be taken-- and he's eaten through enough of our woodpile as it is LOL!

And I'm a SAHM so he's not often left home alone.

steph_s

Have you tried rolling down the window a crack? My dog gets really car sick unless I roll down a window to get some fresh air. Also restricting what he can drink an hour or two before we leave works well. I then take him for a walk and load him in the car (small hyper breed) and he's fine now.

Does he get sick without the harness? If he does then it isn't the harness it's the dog and chances are if the window trick doesn't work he is just always going to get car sick. If he doesn't then try putting the harness on him in the house and letting him get use to it. Then try taking him for a walk with his harness on. Then try a short trip with him and see how he does.

teekadog

Rolling down the window a crack does help. When I know a drive is coming up, I do make sure he hasn't ingested anything recently and take him for a short walk. That does seem to help. It hasn't stopped the throwing up, but lengthened the time it takes him to get sick.

Yes, he does get sick without the harness. I know it's not the harness that makes him sick, it's him. But the harness makes him feel sicker because it restricts his movement-- if he has free movement, he moves around to the positions that make him feel less sick and he does better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC