Vintage Strolee installed

ADS

steph_s

Vintage car seats fascinate me to no end, but in your other pictures I just couldn't figure out how it installed because it was on the steps it looked huge! I thought it was like 4ft tall in which case it wouldn't fit in the car. Now I "get it". I don't quite "get" why someone thought that was a great design, but hey better than nothing right!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
BTW, does that one have a snakeskin/alligator-skin-type appearance to it? The one I had did, and looked VERY similar to that. Mine probably would have been a couple years later, though.

I don't remember ever using it in the car, but it was in my palyroom for a long time. I sat down on the bar a few too many times, though, and it wouldn't lift up anymore.

classicseats

BTW, does that one have a snakeskin/alligator-skin-type appearance to it? The one I had did, and looked VERY similar to that. Mine probably would have been a couple years later, though.

I don't remember ever using it in the car, but it was in my palyroom for a long time. I sat down on the bar a few too many times, though, and it wouldn't lift up anymore.

Nope, it's a smooth leathergrain like vinyl.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My mom had a late 70s Strolee for me and my brother, and I remember sitting next to it on a low back booster (because my mom rocked the carseat world and I sat in a low back booster with an H harness attached to a retrofitted tether in her 1976 Ford until I was six) looking up at my brother. LOL He was SO high. And I pinched my fingers in the joints about a million times. And it was cold if it was a cold day out (I grew up in NY).

I remember sitting in it, too. I had a steering wheel that went around the bar for me to play with, a la Maggie Simpson. Meep meep!

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

awesome! while obviously it shouldn't be used, I think these vintage seats really could make a vintage car look even more vintage.

I just think back to all those years with no seats and then to have this... it was pretty awesome for the time period... and then to think that we've some as far as we have with safety... WOW.

Mommy2Marcus

My mom had a late 70s Strolee for me and my brother, and I remember sitting next to it on a low back booster (because my mom rocked the carseat world and I sat in a low back booster with an H harness attached to a retrofitted tether in her 1976 Ford until I was six) looking up at my brother. LOL He was SO high. And I pinched my fingers in the joints about a million times. And it was cold if it was a cold day out (I grew up in NY).

I remember sitting in it, too. I had a steering wheel that went around the bar for me to play with, a la Maggie Simpson. Meep meep!

Wendy

That is awsome that you rode in a seat for as long as you did. I know my mom said we rode in seats for longer than alot of children did. However she also now says she knows our seats were not installed properly AND that she took us out of them to soon. She is glad we were never in an accident.

awesome! while obviously it shouldn't be used, I think these vintage seats really could make a vintage car look even more vintage.

I just think back to all those years with no seats and then to have this... it was pretty awesome for the time period... and then to think that we've some as far as we have with safety... WOW.

I agree with this. It is VERY awsome how far we have come with seats!!!!

::er!ca::

Looks so neat! Car seats have come so far!

I wonder if anyone would question it if you had your car parked in something like, oh, Babies R Us parking lot? LOL It might turn some heads!

mlohry

Hey I was born in 1973 and I rode in the 1st approved car seat. I have been buckled in since birth. My Grandparents had quite a bit of money and bought my 1st infant seat, the one that looked like a huge bucket that faced backwards and then I had almost that exact one that is white, in that above pic. It was a 5pt harness. We have a pic of me in it, I will try to get it this weekend. It was a very pricey seat. I am pretty much the only one I know that has been buckled in their whole life. My DH never was in a carseat and his oldest sister died from being crushed by their truck when it flipped over in an accident. Always made me wonder why they didn't go out and get seats for their kids after that. Thanks for the flashbacks. Oh and I rode in that 5pt harness seat until I was at least 5, maybe 6 because I couldn't see out of the window without it.

dodgewoman

Wow, that is neat to see. I can't imagine how it would provide protection though:lol: Gotta love how we have gone through the years!

ckleiber

Wow way too cool does not look like it would hold a child very well car seats have indeed come a long way still it would be cool to have in a collection.

Charles:)

simplychels

What awesome pictures!

This almost scares me though. I like to think our seats are pretty damn good right now, but what am I going to think of them in 20+ years when even more developments are made? I'm curious to see what the future has in store for seats considering how far we've come already

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC