? about Regent short belt path vs. long belt path

Northriver

I just received my new Regent today. My daughter is 37#, 43", just outgrew her Boulevard by shoulder height.

I've never used a Regent and I'm wondering why the long belt path needs to be used to 40# and then the short belt path needs to be used over 40#. This is my understanding from reading the manual three times, unless I'm mistaken. Am I understanding this correctly? I haven't gotten the seat in my vehicle but what if it doesn't fit one way or the other, am I allowed to choose another belt path for fit? I know the Frontier only fits in my vehicle with the long seat belt path, so I'm a bit worried. And then, do I have to go out and switch it when my DD is exactly 40#? Nice day today and I'm hoping to NOT have to switch car seats around if my child hits 40# if that happens to be some 30 degree below zero January day, 'cause you know thats how it goes, kwim?

Thanks for any insight on the belt path issue. I'm headed out to install now and will try both long and short LATCH path, as well as the short seat belt path, as apparently we'll eventually need to use all three to use the seat; long LATCH belt path now, short LATCH belt path from 40-48#, then long seat belt path after 48# (LATCH limit for my vehicle), right? Hopefully won't have any problems, but wish me luck! This is going to more complicated than I anticipated!

ADS

Northriver

Long LATCH belt path was an acceptable install, short LATCH belt path is rock solid. I decided the seat belt was probably irrelevent since she's only gained 4# in 2 years, surely she'll be ready for a booster at 48#, so I didn't even try a seat belt install.

So can go ahead and use the short LATCH path now for my child that weighs 38# fully dressed? Or do I have to use the long belt path until 40# then switch to the short belt path? And out of curiosity, why or why not?

Raegansmom4

I'm not 100% why they had to change the rules. The "change" also included the recline bar. I think they had some trouble with crash testing. I'd use it per manual's instructions. Go ahead w/ the LATCH long-belt path until she's 40 lbs, and then switch to the short-belt path. As for being ready for a booster at 48 lbs - depends on her age and maturity to handle it. Why get a Regent without really, really extended harnessing? Can't compare it to the Frontier install. The Frontier short-belt path was a horrible, horrible install in my car - like 4-6 inches of movement. The Regent short-belt path was rock solid in my car. I've heard the Regent is much more compatible to install than the Frontier.

Northriver

I switched it back to the long belt path but am not comfortable with the install, the seat rocks back and forward, nothing is touching the back of my vehicle seat but he recline bar, LATCH strap can't be tightened because the LATCH connector hits the recline bar.

I can correct this in one of two ways:
1. move the LATCH connector inside the recline bar, going against the car seat manual
2. move the vechicle seat to the most upright position, going against my vehicle manual which says to use the "7th click reclined position" to install carseats.

-OR-
use the rock solid short LATCH path

opinions greatly appreciated

when did they change the installation instructions?

Northriver

BTW, bought the Regent for the higher shoulder slots. Frankly, I wasn't 100% certain the Frontier would even get her to 40#. She is 4.5 years, 43" and 37.5#. She's gained an inch in height since the Fall Britax sale, when I decided she'd be fine in her Boulevard until spring. Realized THIS week she was over the slots, after estimating she had .5-.75" of slot height in September. Didn't want to spend $250 on a Frontier then still wind up buying a Regent in 6 months to get her to 40#.

Northriver

Solution:

Switched our outgrown Blvd for a handmedown MA from my niece I happened to have sitting around. I actually installed them both side by side and I'll post pictures in a bit, she has at least .5 inches of additonal strap height in the MA than she had in the BVD. I'm really surprised there is so much difference. Hopefully she'll get to 40# in the MA, then we'll move her to the Regent using the short LATCH path. Whew!

Fwiw, I bought my Regent last week from Baby Age using a coupon, total with shipping was $149.39. DOM is 9/03/09. I was expecting a '08 Regent, honestly didn't even know they were selling "new" Regents.

I'd still love to hear thoughts on the belt path issue, but wanted to let you know that even though I haven't solved the Regent install, I do have a properly installed seat that fits my child!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When you're installing the Regent, in addition to pushing down on the seat stand in front of it and push it back with your lower thighs. That may help.

A Regent with that DOM I wouldn't go against the instructions. They changed 6/18/07.

Wendy

Northriver

Thanks Wendy. I did try the pushing back as well as down but the seat was still way too loose.

I haven't tried the long belt path with the seatbelt but I'll try that tomorrow. That might work since the problem with the long LATCH belt path was the LATCH connectors hitting the recline bar... I'll let you know how the seat belt install goes.

Btw - Congratulations, Wendy! I didn't know you had a baby, she's beautiful!

ginny4

what a great price & date you got for a regent! AWESOME!

i'd definitly follow the directions. they are that way for a reason. i like your plan tho. using the MA for now & hopefully make it til 40# & THEN use the regent SBP. i've never installed with long belt path cause my kids haven't gone into it til they were over 40lbs.

there is nothing wrong with getting a seat & not using it til its very limits. i KNOW my DD doesn't NEED the regent & would've been fine with the nautilus most likely but i know for sure she wouldn't outgrow the regent til she was ready for a booster & my goal of 6yo harnessed. its a super comfy seat too!!

Northriver

Securely installed the Regent today in my '06 RAV4 using the lap/shoulder long path. Thanks for the encouragement! It took a lot of tricks to get it in as tightly as I like.

The LATCH long path was just incompatible with my vehicle. Will switch it to the LATCH short path at 40#.

Jennifer mom to my 7

As for your origional question, as to why the instruction change, it is my understanding that after more research and more crash testing, and I think real life inspections of seats after crashes, they found the seat performed better using those belt paths for those weights of children. It still performed well before, but found the new instructions better.

The boulevard is about .5 inch shorter than the marathon, because of the infinite harness adjuster, it also has about .5 lower bottom slots.

And along the lines of what Ginny is saying, I know I will need the regent to get my 4 year old to "I hope" close to 6. Her sister made it to just before her 6th bday, and they are built the same, long torsos. Older sis would have made it to just under her 5th bday in the nautilus, and I am hoping younger sis makes it that long also.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC