3 across in 2006 Saturn Ion

quietserena

Hello!
I've been directed to this form as the best place for hypothetical and not so hypothetical carseat install questions. So, here goes!

I have a 2006 Saturn Ion. I also have two little ones, as follows:
dd1 - a few months over 3 - about 37lbs
dd2 - 11 months - not sure on weight

DD1 is in a Frontier, DD2 RF in a Boulevard.

There is a new wee one in the works, making an appearance in June, maybe July. There is no way another seat can fit between these two so, I need recommendations.

I noticed that the Radian has a higher RF limit than it used to, so I was thinking this is the best option for us, to get 3 Radians and turn them all RF. (DD1 might complain but hey, safer > louder.)

Will 3 RF Radians fit into the Ion? It does have three sets of LATCH connectors so that's not an issue, but will the seats physically fit all RF? Does the Radian lean really far back? We haven't had any issues with the Boulevard and we've had the sucker for 3 years now.

If this isn't an option, is there a good option for us? I'd really rather not buy another car but if that's the only thing keeping these kids safe...

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
3 Radians will fit in an Ion, but not rf'ing. You'll also need to try and work it to be able to use LATCH with the ff'ing ones - the place that the seatbelt retractor switches from locked mode back to emergency mode means that when the seatbelt gets tight enough with a ff'ing install, the belt switches back to emergency mode and won't stay locked. So either LATCH or locking clip will be needed - at least that's how the retractors were in my 2004 ION.

Depending on the height of the driver/passenger, 1 rf'ing radian, possibly 2 might work. Realistically I think you could probably do ff'ing radian behind driver, rf'ing radian center, rf'ing my ride behind passenger - the my ride puzzles well with the radian when it's facing the same direction and it will fit a newborn well too.

I'm not 100% sure on the radian in center - I know that we had a 3in1 in the center for over a year though and it fit between the front seats well enough that my dh could drive comfortably and he had to have the seat all the way back and slightly reclined to fit comfortably... Of course a 3in1 wouldn't fit a newborn, the shell is slightly taller now than it used to be, and it's likely not narrow enough to work in 3 across... but if it fit between the front seats the Radian should anyways. :thumbsup:

quietserena

Thanks for the reply!

We have had the Boulevard behind the driver at one point and it wasn't a problem. Does the Radian take up more room front to back than the Boulevard when RF?

I hoped DD1 could go RF so much but it just may not work out... .

MissAllyLou

I would recommend trying a combination of myrides and radians rearfacing, or try a chicco keyfit infant seat, radian, graco myride.

snowbird25ca

Thanks for the reply!

We have had the Boulevard behind the driver at one point and it wasn't a problem. Does the Radian take up more room front to back than the Boulevard when RF?

I hoped DD1 could go RF so much but it just may not work out... .

What angle did you have the blvd installed at? Fairly upright, or more at a newborn recline?

The Radian takes up loads more room than a blvd... we had a MA behind the passenger and dh was able to just barely fit comfortably. The MA was very upright in order to fit behind him.

Here's a picture of the MA:
jan282007014.jpg

The Radian has a much taller shell, and it can be much more difficult to install more upright. Quite frankly, it is a space hog rf'ing and I know I couldn't have sat in front of it...

quietserena

Thank you so much for your replies!

We have the Blvd in the more upright position and you're right, I dont think we've ever had it in the infant appropriate recline in this car. I had a (now expired) SafeSeat to use the first few months..

I was hoping to get away with buying just convertible seats so that I can maybe be done with carseats for a while. We just bought the Frontier like 6 months ago!

I'm afraid to get Radians now because we need two RF and it seems they may not work. MyRides seem shorter but wider. Maybe I need to get one of each and try them.

Is there a good place where I can find a list of all available convertible seats? It seems all of this will require loads of research. And maybe several purchased and returned seats...

When I originally did this back in 2006, there was seemingly the one choice of a Boulevard. I am so glad we have the options but also overwhelmed by them.

bigteamug

While I can completely understand not wanting to spend the money on an infant seat, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand - I would make sure and consider the ease of having one kid go into a carseat in the house, which gets snapped quickly into the car - having to fasten three kids in might take a bit - I don't doubt that your oldest will probably do well, but you might have your hands full trying to fasten in the two younger ones.

I think the keyfit is one of the narrower ones. Might be worth contemplating....

snowbird25ca

The My Ride and the Radian look like they puzzle very well together. The My Ride can definitely be installed more upright, so you can probably use it for your older rf'ing child. I think the Radian may fit between the seat backs when installed in the center, so if that's the case then you may find that both those seats work perfectly. The Radian will fit a newborn. (The MR will too, but not sure about how much space it would take up at a newborn recline.)

So I think it's reasonable to buy a MR and a Radian, and see how those work for options.

I'm assuming that you're in the US? You could also consider the Combi Coccoro if that's the case. Actually, thinking more about it, I would choose it over the Radian.. Put the newborn in the Coccoro, you might even get away with having the blvd outboard passenger at an upright angle then, and then ff'ing radian for the oldest.

Or maybe start out with buying a Coccoro and a Radian, then figure out if a 2nd radian would work - you can always then go to a store with those 2 seats and try a MR to see if it will work, or if you'd rather stick with a 2nd radian.

And on the plus side, they're coming out with a stroller frame that the Coccoro will attach to - not sure when it will be available, but it essentially is a convertible seat that is easy to remove and install and highly portable. With having other seats with high weight limits and harness heights, you don't have to worry if the baby only fits the seat rf'ing for 2 yrs - by then you'll be able to switch seats around.

You're right about there being a lot of research stuff... I think you might not have too hard a time though, especially if you have a Coccoro in the mix. It takes up such a small amount of space that it will maximize your options when it comes to the other seats.

quietserena

Thank you guys for the replies!

I was dismissing the infant seats and the Coccoro because of longevity issues and the worry that I'm going to buy these seats now and then in 6 months have to spend more money and do the research again. But, I'm thinking this will give the market a chance to catch up and perhaps have a few more seats out that would be good options. Maybe I'm just trying to justify this...

So, in the current running are:
* Radian for 3.5 yr old
* Coccoro or MyRIde or a Keyfit for the new baby
* Current Boulevard or a new Radian for the 1 year old.

I'm half playing with the idea of trying out two MyRides and a Radian and turning them all RF but I am doubting they will fit sicne MyRide is so wide.

Still open to options. I'm not going to be able to order these until Taxmas (as someone called it here, and it seems so apt!) but I'm starting to feel that maybe this is going to work and I won't have to add another car payment into the mix...

Thank you guys so much for giving me hope!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC