Graco Snugride DX 5 - still ok to use?

A

aartinawani

Hi -

I am expecting and due in July 2007. I got an infant car seat from my friend - Graco Snugride DX5 which is about 4.5-5 years old.

How do I make sure by using this seat I am not violating the law? Is there such a thing? If so, where can I find this type of information.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aarti.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Contact graco at www.gracobaby.com (or call the number on the sticker on the seat) and ask if there has been a recall (many snugrides have been recalled for missing metal pieces that connect them to the base). But if the seat has all the parts, has not been in a crash, and does not have any very obvious signs of breakage or wear, then the expiration date is 6 years from date of manufacture (you can't SEE plastic breakdown, so you don't want to push that 6 year time limit).

:)

southpawboston

yes to the above post, and if you look closely at the base of the snugride, it actually has the official expiration date stamp molded right in to the plastic. since it is not a sticker, it can be easily overlooked, but it is there. our snugride was manfactured in march '02 and the expiration date said december '07, so the usuable life of ours was actually slightly less than 6 years. why they did that, i don't know (maybe all the units mfr'd within a certain time period all got the same expiration stamp?).

Amaris

I assume that the 5 means it's a 5 point harness, but if it's not I would definately get one, and I would get one that front adjusts.

ajweeks

I have a Snugride DX5 and used it with both of my kids. It was part of a recall for some missing pegs or something on the base, but I checked ours and it had the pegs so we were ok. If you haven't checked your base yet to make sure it isn't part of the recall, do that and if you are missing anything, Graco should send you either a new base or something to fix it.

DX5 does stand for a 5 pt. harness with a front adjuster. As long as yours isn't expired and is ok as per the recall, then I would use it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC