Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    aartinawani

Graco Snugride DX 5 - still ok to use?

Hi -

I am expecting and due in July 2007. I got an infant car seat from my friend - Graco Snugride DX5 which is about 4.5-5 years old.

How do I make sure by using this seat I am not violating the law? Is there such a thing? If so, where can I find this type of information.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aarti.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Re: Graco Snugride DX 5 - still ok to use?

Contact graco at www.gracobaby.com (or call the number on the sticker on the seat) and ask if there has been a recall (many snugrides have been recalled for missing metal pieces that connect them to the base). But if the seat has all the parts, has not been in a crash, and does not have any very obvious signs of breakage or wear, then the expiration date is 6 years from date of manufacture (you can't SEE plastic breakdown, so you don't want to push that 6 year time limit).

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPS Fanatic

yes to the above post, and if you look closely at the base of the snugride, it actually has the official expiration date stamp molded right in to the plastic. since it is not a sticker, it can be easily overlooked, but it is there. our snugride was manfactured in march '02 and the expiration date said december '07, so the usuable life of ours was actually slightly less than 6 years. why they did that, i don't know (maybe all the units mfr'd within a certain time period all got the same expiration stamp?).
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

I assume that the 5 means it's a 5 point harness, but if it's not I would definately get one, and I would get one that front adjusts.

Carseat Crazy

I have a Snugride DX5 and used it with both of my kids. It was part of a recall for some missing pegs or something on the base, but I checked ours and it had the pegs so we were ok. If you haven't checked your base yet to make sure it isn't part of the recall, do that and if you are missing anything, Graco should send you either a new base or something to fix it.

DX5 does stand for a 5 pt. harness with a front adjuster. As long as yours isn't expired and is ok as per the recall, then I would use it.
    Ben (2/18/02), FF in Britax Parkway, Britax StarRiser/Comfy and Combi Strollee McKinley
    Julia (9/15/04), FF Graco Nautilus (harnessed)
    Elizabeth (4/27/08), RF Britax RA