Newborn not fit in snugride!

swtgi1982

So yeah, my new little guy did not not fit in our snug ride when he went to ride in it today in grandparents van! He has over like an inch to the bottom slots over his shoulders! He fits just fine in the scenera in my van, he is over the bottom slots by about a 1/4 inch! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just thought you guys would love this one!

ADS

autumnlily

Neither of my twins fit in their snugrides and because they were born a day shy of 37w - they had to pass a car seat challenge in the hospital. The nurses would not even perform the test with them in the snugrides due to the improper fit.

A friend of mine, with money from my parents, went and purchased different infant buckets (companions) so that the girls could take the car seat challenge and come home!

Twin A was 6lb 11oz and 18.25" and Twin B was 5lb 15oz and 17.50". They still have short torsos at 20 months old.

Maedze

Yup, the Snugrides have higher lowest slots than other infant seats. I've actually seen a newborn fit better in the My Ride with infant insert compared to a SR!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yup, the Snugrides have higher lowest slots than other infant seats. I've actually seen a newborn fit better in the My Ride with infant insert compared to a SR!

Definitely. My DS was MUCH more supported in the MR than his SafeSeat (old version of Snugride32/35).

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I'm in the US, and I have a 20 pound Snugride that doesn't expire until 12/2010, so there are at least some with a year left.

aja

Neither of my twins fit in their snugrides and because they were born a day shy of 37w - they had to pass a car seat challenge in the hospital. The nurses would not even perform the test with them in the snugrides due to the improper fit.

A friend of mine, with money from my parents, went and purchased different infant buckets (companions) so that the girls could take the car seat challenge and come home!

Twin A was 6lb 11oz and 18.25" and Twin B was 5lb 15oz and 17.50". They still have short torsos at 20 months old.

my twins were also born at a day shy of 37 weeks.they were 5lbs 15 oz and 5 lbs 11oz.

they fit ok in the snugrides in cloth diapers. otherwise there was too much crotch strap room. they were about at the bottom slots (but we have kind of freak long torsos here).

swtgi1982

If it's a 20 lb Snugride, it's pretty darn close to expiring if it's not there already :eek:

Yes I know, six years would be next July. It is only being used for a few weeks in grandparents cars, as I can not physically move his seat back and forth right now. The in laws leave for out west for the winter in a few weeks and are waiting to buy a seat for their car in the spring (to see if we can maneuver seats around and maybe just buy DD a new one and pass others down.) All though they will be in need of a new seat the following spring as well, since DS1 current seat expires then!

swtgi1982

He actually does fit if I could get his bum to quit sliding forward (the bottom crotch buckle is fixed in one place).

Maedze

He actually does fit if I could get his bum to quit sliding forward (the bottom crotch buckle is fixed in one place).

That's actually pretty common. You need to tuck a rolled up washcloth/receiving blanket between him and the crotch strap.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, I see that a lot with the Graco infant seats (among others-- Peg Perego, for instance...) In fact when I have a check with expectant parents, I show them how to put a rolled cloth between the crotch and the baby if necessary. (I don't usually bother with, say, a Keyfit. But with a Graco seat, for sure.)

swtgi1982

If the DOM is July '04, then you will have until Dec. 2010 as Graco expiry is December of the 6th year so seats get between 6 and 7 years of use depending on DOM.

Yes I know, but I plan on only using it until spring, then it is gone as I know of no one who will need it, nor would I give it to someone with less then a year left on it since I know most would use it right on past then. My DS2 has a convertible we use most of the time, but if we are going to be in and out a lot with the cold MI winter we put him in it to keep him warm. Especially since I usually have a three (almost four year old) and a two and a half year old in tow as well. Just plain easier until he gets a little older. It was DD first seat, bought in Nov06 and it was a Wal-Mart clearance item, hence the DOM was way old then. But I did not know that back then. Also it is a three point harness, so I really do not care to use it in the car. Especially not after the accident I had with DD when she was six months old. We had just put her in a five point from that seat. Both shoulder straps came off when the car rolled and it was secured tightly. I was told by the cop I was lucky we had switched her or she may not have stayed in her seat, and may not be here today. So if I use it for DS2 I usually just put it in the back (trunk area) and put him in it from his convertible when I get there. Nothing personal, but I personally do not trust that seats safety for real use. Just personal experience.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes I know, but I plan on only using it until spring, then it is gone as I know of no one who will need it, nor would I give it to someone with less then a year left on it since I know most would use it right on past then.
I commented only because others were concerned it was expired and Graco has a bit of an off expiry date compared to other manufacturers. I was not chastising you for when you will use the seat until.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC