Let's talk about Swedish seats....

nmb

Ok, so .... just thinking about the "next step"... and seriously considering a Swedish seat for DS after reading recent posts about that crash......
DS just turned 3 today (is it crazy to import a seat to rearface a kid after 3???)
He weighs 34 lbs, and is about 38.5" tall (VERY rough estimate, I'm having a hard time getting him to hold still to get a measurement, he has a check-up on the 8th and we'll know a more exact height then.) Seated shoulder (torso) height about 16 - 16.5". (again, rough estimate).
(Yes, he has a long torso, he's just getting into 3t pants (mostly too big yet) but wears 4t/5 shirts).
This is him today in his Radian:
I'm thinking he might get to spring rf'ing...? Def. not til 4
004.jpg

003.jpg

From those that have a swedish seat, or experience with them, I'm wondering how long you think he'd last rearfacing in a Britax Two-Way Elite? And would it be the same, more, less, in another Swedish seat? Graco Duologic, etc?
How much extra time would the Multi-tech buy over these?
(I don't think I'll sell DH on that one at all...been gently trying to convince him for almost a year that we should just get one...but, for reference, that seat would cost more than our mortgage; almost double what we pay for groceries every month....it's a lot of money...) But then, the MT does have better headwings than the TWE too... looks like better SIP. Right now DS is an only, so he can ride in the center....but it's hard to get most carseats installed in the center of my car, it has a 60/40 split and the carseat always wants to tip into the gap....?

:whistle:

ADS

steph

I have a Two-Way and Ryan is a little over 40 inches and still has room to grow in it. He is at his Dad's until tomorrow but I can take pics for you on Wednesday if you want?

tl01

The TWE lets you RF longer than the limits of US seats. They don't stop you at the 1 inch of shell rule. DS is at the top of the shell on his TWE and I won't let him in it anymore. While I know Britax will still permit it, I still have to wonder why it is okay in some countries to use a seat one way and not in others. The other reason I think it is strange is that the harness has to be at or above the shoulders when RFing in the TWE. It seems to me that this would allow him to ramp up further in the seat in a crash. DS still has lots of headroom in his Radian though he is not RFing in it b/c he is over 40 lbs now. HTH.

steph_s

I wouldn't import a foreign seat for many reasons.

1. If your in an accident your car insurance nor the other insurance will not cover the bill. Your personal health insurance will not cover it either because it's related to an accident. Hospital bills are expensive!! A minor accident with an overnight for observation type hospital stay could easily cost $10,000 with none of it covered.

2. Liability with the manufacturers. Because they aren't tested here, aren't sold here and aren't made for our market if there was a defect that caused harm they wouldn't be liable for this at all.

At 3 years old I would feel perfectly comfortable turning him around ff. Yes rf is safer, but that doesn't mean he won't be perfectly safe ff in the right seat with a top tether.

Maedze

Based on your second picture (the first angle isn't an accurate way to determine rear facing growth room) I'd say you have at least 4" of clearance to the top of the shell. That could buy you another couple of years. I don't see a reason to import :twocents:

I agree, though, he's a tall-torsoed kid!

To answer your question, not crazy at all to continue rear facing...definitely best practice. Fortunately you can do it with the legal seat you all ready own :p

twinsmom

Ok, so .... just thinking about the "next step"... and seriously considering a Swedish seat for DS after reading recent posts about that crash......
DS just turned 3 today (is it crazy to import a seat to rearface a kid after 3???)

Define "crazy" :D

I bought my seats when my twins were 3.5. They are now 4.5 and still fit with room to grow. DS is about 42 lbs and 45" tall. DD is 39 lbs and 45" tall.

Whether it's crazy or not is up to you. If you have the money and you really want to do it, go ahead. The insurance liability questions have been discussed on other threads regarding importing seats. It is not true that you will be denied medical coverage, and whether or not your seat would be replaced depends on your insurance company (mine will if needed).

tl01

I wouldn't import a foreign seat for many reasons.

1. If your in an accident your car insurance nor the other insurance will not cover the bill. Your personal health insurance will not cover it either because it's related to an accident. Hospital bills are expensive!! A minor accident with an overnight for observation type hospital stay could easily cost $10,000 with none of it covered.

2. Liability with the manufacturers. Because they aren't tested here, aren't sold here and aren't made for our market if there was a defect that caused harm they wouldn't be liable for this at all.

At 3 years old I would feel perfectly comfortable turning him around ff. Yes rf is safer, but that doesn't mean he won't be perfectly safe ff in the right seat with a top tether.

The insurance part is not true. I called and asked my car and health insurance companies and they both said that they would cover my son just as they would cover anyone who didn't restrain their child at all... or in an expired seat, or in a seat that didn't fit the child.

twinsmom

The insurance part is not true. I called and asked my car and health insurance companies and they both said that they would cover my son just as they would cover anyone who didn't restrain their child at all... or in an expired seat, or in a seat that didn't fit the child.

Yes, this.

steph_s

My car insurance company will not cover it at all. When they come to check the car and seats after an accident they look at the seats to see if they are expired and that they meet our guidelines.

Any private medical insurance will not cover it (excluding health savings accounts, this one varies). There is a box that you check on the 1500 claim form (medical claim form submitted to insurance company) and it asks if it's a work accident, home accident or auto accident. If you check that it's an auto accident they will refuse to cover! Insurance companies are in the buisness to deny your claim. If the person billing doesn't check that box they could get in huge trouble, potentially jail time for defrauding an insurance company. For high dollar claims like car accidents they will ask for records the first mention of a car accident and they will deny it and all services related to it.

canadiangie

He weighs 34 lbs, and is about 38.5" tall (VERY rough estimate, I'm having a hard time getting him to hold still to get a measurement, he has a check-up on the 8th and we'll know a more exact height then.) Seated shoulder (torso) height about 16 - 16.5". (again, rough estimate).
(Yes, he has a long torso, he's just getting into 3t pants (mostly too big yet) but wears 4t/5 shirts).
This is him today in his Radian:
I'm thinking he might get to spring rf'ing...? Def. not til 4
004.jpg

003.jpg

From those that have a swedish seat, or experience with them, I'm wondering how long you think he'd last rearfacing in a Britax Two-Way Elite? And would it be the same, more, less, in another Swedish seat? Graco Duologic, etc?
How much extra time would the Multi-tech buy over these?
(I don't think I'll sell DH on that one at all...been gently trying to convince him for almost a year that we should just get one...but, for reference, that seat would cost more than our mortgage; almost double what we pay for groceries every month....it's a lot of money...) But then, the MT does have better headwings than the TWE too... looks like better SIP. Right now DS is an only, so he can ride in the center....but it's hard to get most carseats installed in the center of my car, it has a 60/40 split and the carseat always wants to tip into the gap....?

:whistle:

Your son has about 4 inches above his head. I'd guess he has 2 yrs to go before reaching the 1" from top rule. I would not import a seat for your child. I think you can use a legal seat and continue to rf him to at least age 4. I do not think it's crazy to rf past age 3.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree that your son has a ton of room and there's no need to import a seat.

I would also suggest you move up his chest clip a bit.

My car insurance company will not cover it at all. When they come to check the car and seats after an accident they look at the seats to see if they are expired and that they meet our guidelines.

Any private medical insurance will not cover it (excluding health savings accounts, this one varies). There is a box that you check on the 1500 claim form (medical claim form submitted to insurance company) and it asks if it's a work accident, home accident or auto accident. If you check that it's an auto accident they will refuse to cover! Insurance companies are in the buisness to deny your claim. If the person billing doesn't check that box they could get in huge trouble, potentially jail time for defrauding an insurance company. For high dollar claims like car accidents they will ask for records the first mention of a car accident and they will deny it and all services related to it.

If they refuse to cover any auto accident, why would it matter if the child was in an illegal seat?

I imagine the reason they ask if it's a car crash is so the medical insurance company can go after the at-fault party for reimbursement, if applicable.

I also imagine they'd cover it just like they would for any improperly/unrestrained child, as a PP mentioned.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Your son has about 4 inches above his head. I'd guess he has 2 yrs to go before reaching the 1" from top rule. I would not import a seat for your child. I think you can use a legal seat and continue to rf him to at least age 4. I do not think it's crazy to rf past age 3.

I agree. I do not think it's crazy to RF past age three -- I think it's terrific.

However, I do not think it's sensible to import an illegal seat for a child who will very likely make it to age 4 RFing in a legal seat.

I also think the insurance issues are not so much related to health insurance for injuries, but auto insurance replacing an illegal seat -- they may not, and I don't think that's wrong.

oxeye

No I don't think it is crazy to buy a seat to RF a three year old. Like other posters said, though he has a lot of growing room in his Radian XT so I would wait until he gets closer to outgrowing it and reevaluate at that point. I would exhaust all legal options before looking into importing a foreign seat.

mommy2jasmine

I don't think it's crazy. I think it's a pretty hefty price though, when, like others have said, you can Rf to at least 4 here.

But, then again, I plan to get a Multi-Tech. I did just buy the XT in September, but I did so thinking that I could "make" it 45 lb RF with that conversion kit that was spoken of. Of course, I should have been more cautious and just waited, but oh well. Even so, I will be buying/importing that seat for my dd, probably within the next 6-12 months. I could do it now, but I want to set some goals for myself, outside of car seat safety, that once I meet, I will allow myself to purchase this for her.

There is no doubt that she will make it to about 4 Rf in her current seat, and I could have possibly made it a year longer if I just got the XT SL to begin with. But, buying the Multi-Tech won't set us back, and I want the most for my daughter, even if it means RFing past the "minimums" (that meaning 4 yrs). I definitely won't be forcing her to RF past that age, but you better bet I'll tell her what the benefits are of staying that way.

So, crazy? No. I don't think so, at least. If you are having to sell a kidney, or eat Ramen Noodles for the next 6 months to do so...Yeah, probably.

luvmyboyz

My insurance looked at my carseat when they took it to dispose of it. He was looking for the DOM so he could discount for depreciation. Since they were just going to get the money from the at fault party, I let them know I needed replacement value. The seat was new anyway so there was no depreciation besides the crash damage!

I think your insurance is doing the same thing. Just checking if they really need to reimburse you anything for your seat.

L

LuciaBella

Not crazy at all! I admire you for wanting to keep him RF as long as possible. :thumbsup:

Like the other posts said, it looks like he has a few inches before he outgrows the radian height wise. Maybe you could measure next time he's in it. (also, I noticed his chest clip was a little low...;))

If I were in this situation, I would hold off a bit on buying an almost 500 dollar car seat for him, since he still has plenty of growing room.

Maybe readdress this issue when he *really* gets closer to outgrowing?

But if you have the money and can do it now, go for it.

jeminijad

My BCBS paid medical expenses from an accident. I just presented my card and everything was covered at my normal 80/20... no claim forms invoved at all, though.

nmb

He Definitely does not have 4 inches left....if it looks like it the pictures misleading....maybe an inch & a half, before he's an inch below the top.
If it helps any, if i put a ruler on top of his head, perpendicular to the shell of the seat (as shown in another thread here) it comes right at the top of the sunshine design... when he's RF in the XT. I suppose I could take out the bottom pad and get a bit more room...

L

LuciaBella

He Definitely does not have 4 inches left....if it looks like it the pictures misleading....maybe an inch & a half, before he's an inch below the top.
If it helps any, if i put a ruler on top of his head, perpendicular to the shell of the seat (as shown in another thread here) it comes right at the top of the sunshine design... when he's RF in the XT. I suppose I could take out the bottom pad and get a bit more room...

Could you post a picture in this thread please?

When you said the "bottom pad" did you mean the toddler support that came with the car seat or something else??:confused:

Maedze

I've uploaded your edited picture (Don't worry, as soon as you've seen it I'll delete the photo from my harddrive :cool:)

The red lines indicate where he is now, and the tippity-top of the shell. The blue line is where he'll outgrow it.

That looks like about 4" to me :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC